Evetsyelspih

CC01 Beetle Project

Just got a Sand Scorcher body for one of my CC01’s. Can’t wait for the weekend so I can start chopping on the chassis. Also ordered a Gmade 4 link kit. Not sure what wheels and tires I should get. Any thoughts? As for electronics I thinking I’m going to use a Hobbywing 1060 and a torque tuned motor. Looking forward to this project.

DE90452F-A6A1-47B1-A80E-449A8B79C0DE.jpeg

• Like 8

There really is something about a Beetle with chunky off-road tyres, isn't there..?  Looks like a fun project!

• Like 3

I’ve often wondered about this. The wheelbase always looked about right but the fenders etc always put me off. Looking forward to se how it turns out. The Blitzer/Scorcher body is one of Tamiya’s finest and most versatile.

Looks like a great build to me, in fact it's rather inspired me to try something a little fun too. 

Signing up to see how this goes! Part of the reason I bought a blitzer beetle and then a used CC-01 was to do just this, but I haven't got round to doing anything except thinking about it yet! There are a couple of YouTube videos on this exact combination 

Junfac/Gmade 4 link kit came in today. Tomorrow I’ll have some time to work on it including fitting the body. I’m thinking magnetic body mounts.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Keep us posted. This inspired me to do a budget version, Monster Beetle Trail shell on an MF01x

mvYOvtI.jpg

Not drilled or anything, just wanted to see how it would look! 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Keep us posted. This inspired me to do a budget version, Monster Beetle Trail shell on an MF01x

mvYOvtI.jpg

Not drilled or anything, just wanted to see how it would look! 

That looks great! What wheels and tires are those?

2 hours ago, Evetsyelspih said:

That looks great! What wheels and tires are those?

M chassis beetle wheels and Sand Paddle tires. The tires fit nicely on the wheels. 

This is just the 1/14 scale beetle from the QD series (shoved on the GF01TR) so they might be too small for your needs! 

Digging around in my old parts I found these old Axial light pods. Could mount them right on the bumper mounts. I find myself sitting here just staring at the car and thinking of ideas. I need to get busy. Going to fit the new 4 link before cutting anything to make sure the wheelbase stays the same.

E6A65AD3-C4CD-495C-B042-D7F702BB52D0.jpeg

• Like 2

And here it is finished. Went together nicely and the articulation is so smooth. Wheelbase stayed the same so I’m happy. I would not use the skid plate if this were going to be a crawler, but this is not a crawler so it should be fine. Only weird thing about the Junfac kit are the shock ends they supply. I’ll post about that next with a pic.

A734934C-CB24-4BBA-8D83-782EF9D7CF4C.jpeg

• Like 3

On the Junfac 4 link the shock ball ends they give you are shorter than the stock Tamiyas, and you can’t use those. I found some Axial shock ends and some Traxxas suspension balls. These were the perfect fit and kept everything the same. If I were to use the Junfac shock ends the upper links would hit the chassis before full shock compression. In the pic from left to right. Stock Tamiya, Junfac, Axial.

33105E6B-E6B1-458F-AD70-177A819D01D2.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Evetsyelspih said:

It sits a little high, but will look great with bigger tires. Might try some 1.9’s.

3E70FB29-BA7A-4DC8-A428-EE7F22889D05.jpeg

Are those not 1.9’s already?

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Are those not 1.9’s already?

I guess they are lol. Tamiya stock wheels and tires. I want beadlocks. Stock tires are 3”. Going to go with something around 4”. Thinking of Gmade plastic beadlocks and RC4WD Mud Thrashers. Just for fun, here’s a pic of it with a 4” short course tire at the rear. It still has full compression with these and mud thrashers are 3.99”. 

B0D19655-A29A-4CBB-AA82-223F93E77C89.jpeg

• Like 1

Found some knock off 1.55 beadlocks and tires for this build. We’ll see how they are once they get here from China. This isn’t going to be run hard so hopefully they’ll be okay. I think these will be just the right size as 4” tires were just a bit too big for the front.

BB126291-2EF2-494B-82B1-04EE4DA88FEB.png

• Like 2