foz75

Chrome paint - yes or no?

I've had a search but can't find anything specific on this. I have a body shell that would look great with a few chrome highlights (bumpers, door handles, possibly window frames, etc), and amd thinking of trying chrome paint, specifically this one, because it's the only one I can get easily here and I want to stick with spray cans:

RC Car Colours Lexan Spray 150ml - CHROME - TerritorioRC

Anyone got any experience with this? good or bad? avoid or go for it?

• Like 1

Unfortunetaly, I cannot really help on this specific paint, do you know the manufacturer /brand? Is it specifically suited for Lexan, or just for ABS bodies?

The chrome effect colors usually get their effect by a thin layer of silver/chrome effect, backed by a layer of std. black paint for the mirror effect.

If this color is aimed for Lexan, I´d give it a try if I were you! Maybe first on a scrap piece of Lexan!

Kind regards,

Matthias

I have no idea on that specific paint.    but..... I can tell you that the "Rustoleum 7718830 Bright Coat Chrome" i picked up at Home Depot for a test looks the part on a 3d printed grille i have on my 1/14 semi tractor.

A Molotow chrome pen might be a good shout for detailing. Never tried it on lexan yet but it’s a good chrome especially for a pen

The one I posted is sold by an rc shop here in Spain, and is stated as for polycarbonate.

Googling gives a few images of other chrome paints that look great, none of this specific one though. I will experiment, but what would be the best place in the paint order to spray the chrome? If other colours are already backed then I guess it won't affect them. Or maybe spray the chrome areas first, then back them with the other colours (black first as some parts of the shell will be black)

I have a molotow chrome pen, it works ok on polycarbonate but on larger areas like bumpers I find it shows pen stroke marks and doesn't cover uniformly like paint does. 

• Like 1

I have done some 'chrome' application with PS-48 on a truck body. Painted and backed the body first and then painted the bumper with PS-48, backed with black. 

• Like 1

That honeycomb effect looks great! I guess the yellow was first and chrome second? 

19 hours ago, foz75 said:

That honeycomb effect looks great! I guess the yellow was first and chrome second? 

Thanks. 

Yes you're right. Used fluorescent yellow first and the honeycomb was masked off. Then peeled away the masking and sprayed the chrome.