"Half and Half" is what I've nicknamed Tamiyas more eccentric on-road chassis designs, that being the plastic "brick" designs that double as the transmission. I've mentioned before that the design is a bit worrisome for future repairs, but at the same time I've found it interesting from a design standpoint compared to the more recent tub TT designs. Is there any real benefit of the old "half and half" design over todays tub designs? I don't think that I've seen any other RC company attempt a similar design. I thought about this as I worked on an ECX 4WD and noticed just how similar it and about a dozen other modern 4WD RC chassis look.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)   My son's Arrma Granite Voltage 2wd is a half & half, with even the suspension towers built into the two halves.  I think fewer parts is the biggest benefit. A tub will often still have a top piece for stiffness, so it is still two pieces, and the transmissions are each two more pieces.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)   My son's Arrma Granite Voltage 2wd is a half & half, with even the suspension towers built into the two halves.  I think fewer parts is the biggest benefit. A tub will often still have a top piece for stiffness, so it is still two pieces, and the transmissions are each two more pieces.

Looked it up, wouldn't surprise me if whoever designed the Voltage has a TL01 in their collection. I had just assumed that it had a tub like the other Granites when I heard about them.

spacer.png

Kinda DT-03 steering setup and M-chassis style gears/transmission.  Enough room for a 7.2V NiMH inside, with the esc/receiver on top.  This picture is the original that could use Li-ion cells, up to 6S.  It isn't anything great, but perfectly functional.

• Like 1