BigGinge

Body shell supports

I'm trying to track down a part, that may or may not exist as a generic item, but I'm not sure what it's called.

My TB-05 Pro kit came with some very nice body shell support pieces that are attached to the body posts using normal clips so that the body shell has a nice big contact point, to prevent scratching, and no slop once secured on the top. You can see these in the picture below.

spacer.png

I'd quite like to use some of these on my other models so was wondering what these are called and if I can buy a generic version of them rather then having to buy the whole parts tree that these ones came on (51253). If anyone knows where I can find a generic version of these, or of anything else I can use that will do a similar job, it would be really nice to hear about it.

If you google RC body pads or body sponge or something like that you will find them as a sponge version. There are also alloy ones available from Yeah Racing. You can also search for body protectors.

• Thanks 1

@BigGinge I've not come across those body mounts as a separate item, but as @Aerobert and @OoALEJOoO have pointed out there are alternatives

Like you, the first time I used those plastic Tamiya body supports I thought they were really good, as they are pretty substantial, look great and do offer better protection than just a snap pin.

However, after living with them for a little while I found that they are a bit of a pain to use; it might just be me being a clutz, but I find it fiddly to thread the snap pin through the eyelets of the mount as well as the body post, keeping the eyelets lined up on both sides so the pin can exit the post.

It's much less of a faff to use a snap pin in combination with the o-rings or foam discs described above, which is what I do now

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juhunio said:

However, after living with them for a little while I found that they are a bit of a pain to use; it might just be me being a clutz, but I find it fiddly to thread the snap pin through the eyelets of the mount as well as the body post, keeping the eyelets lined up on both sides so the pin can exit the post.

I can totally agree with that; getting the pin in on both sides, with everything trying to be anywhere but lined up where it should be, is a right pain. 

I'd seen the foam pads in a few places but thought that they might get eaten fairly quickly by the pins but if you are all using these successfully then I'm probably being overly pessimistic about that. I'll see about getting my hands on some, along with some o-rings in the right size, to see how they compare to the plastic parts.

22 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

getting the pin in on both sides, with everything trying to be anywhere but lined up where it should be, is a right pain. 

Perfectly put!

I think if you're going to use one body shell on a chassis and can 'set and forget' the ride height then those plastic mounts are grand. But if you want to be able to swap bodies, or frequently tweak ride height or clearance then the pads / o-rings are the way to go 

• Like 1

I just use thin sliced-off sections of silicone rubber tubing. I make them just thick enough that you need to squish the body down a tiny bit on the posts to get the pin in. No paint damage, and no body rattle (i absolutely hate a rattling body shell).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

...and no body rattle (i absolutely hate a rattling body shell).

Absolutely agree 100%. One of, if not the number one pet peeve of mine. Doesn't matter how good it looks sitting still, if it rattles when it runs then I'm afraid its a big no from me.

Got my eldest a tt02d for Xmas and ordered some stealth body mounts (I have exclusively off-road buggies so on-road is a new direction for me). Once I'd figured out how best to attach them to the actual shell they completely eliminated loose body rattle. Very impressed actually and worth the hassle in my opinion.

They are not that bad to mount/use and probably the best solution, in my opinion.

As mentioned most TC use them such as Yokomo, XRay, Schumacher...

For my Yokomo BD8, part number:  BD-016

I could not find the parts by themselves, as they are accompanied with posts and clips.  

I was trying to find the shell supports but couldn't find any in stock anywhere at the time.   This is what I came up with.  Uses a grommet slightly larger that the post.  Whittle out the bottom in a cone if there's a steeper angle needed to allow the grommet to rotate to align with say a rear windshield angle.   Then I use light springs between the grommet and the lower post clip.  This way you have to push down slightly on the body to get the top clip on.  Now it's spring loaded so no body rattle at all plus it makes getting the top clip on easier without scratching the body as you can push the spring further down the post temporarily exposing much more of the upper post hole.   The rubber bands are to keep slight friction on the grommets so you don't loose everything when you turn the chassis upside down when the body is off (Don't ask me how I know..... :unsure:).

Body post mount 1.jpg

Body post mount 2.jpg

Body post mount 3.jpg

• Like 1

I had a bag of 1.5 x 8 mm silicone o-rings turn up yesterday and tried them out on my XV-01 Lancia’s first run today. I stuck two of them onto each body post and they seem to have done a good job of taking out any slack/wobble in the mounting. They look like they should be fairly gentle on the paint too. So thanks for all the suggestions to try this out. 

• Like 1