Sign in to follow this  
gkatz

budget brushed motor replacement for standard neo scorcher 540J

Hi all;

what brushed (yes brushed) motor would you recoomend as an upgrade for the standard out of the box 540J

I am looking for a budget one that will give me extra speed (something that will make a difference like a 6+ mph increase but nothing balistic)

doesnt have to be branded but hopefully reliable.

note that I am not looking to change any of the other parts only the motor...

thanks for your help

3 hours ago, gkatz said:

Hi all;

what brushed (yes brushed) motor would you recoomend as an upgrade for the standard out of the box 540J

I am looking for a budget one that will give me extra speed (something that will make a difference like a 6+ mph increase but nothing balistic)

doesnt have to be branded but hopefully reliable.

note that I am not looking to change any of the other parts only the motor...

thanks for your help

I know you mention not wanting to change other parts but have you already swapped out the plastic and metal bushes for ball bearings?

I'd recommend an aluminum motor mount as a cheap upgrade before buying a quicker motor. Lower turns = higher temps.

It might help if we knew which ESC you have, and which pinion.

• Like 1

Hi guys and thanks for the answers.

I have a neo scorcher as is put pf the box I am building at the moment.

I do have a set of bearings (not branded) and a aluminium shaft.

The pinion is what you get on the box (I think 17)

When I say budget I mean that is the car costs 130usd then it's not reasonable to buy a 50usd motor.

Even the formal bearing set for 20usd seems unreasonable so I simply purchased bearings with the same dims as the set (5usd)

I do want to increase speeds pf the out of the box motor...

Should I also change pinions?

Other brushed motor you think qualify for my needs?

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Also, can someone explain the numbers here? Of course rpm I know but some I don't understand....

Thanks!!!

Screenshot_20230114-145441.png

1 hour ago, gkatz said:

Hi guys and thanks for the answers.

I have a neo scorcher as is put pf the box I am building at the moment.

I do have a set of bearings (not branded) and a aluminium shaft.

The pinion is what you get on the box (I think 17)

When I say budget I mean that is the car costs 130usd then it's not reasonable to buy a 50usd motor.

Even the formal bearing set for 20usd seems unreasonable so I simply purchased bearings with the same dims as the set (5usd)

I do want to increase speeds pf the out of the box motor...

Should I also change pinions?

Other brushed motor you think qualify for my needs?

Thanks everyone!

A bigger pinion will yeild more speed,  but more heat and less acceleration. If your kit came with an aluminum pinion (many Tamiyas do) get a steel one, aluminum pinions wear out and chew up spur gears. You'll need a 0.6 Module pinion, I use steel Robinson Racing pinions.

What brushed motors work comes down to your ESC, if its a Hobbywing you could go as far as installing a 15T 540 motor or a 12T 550. If its a TLBE you're looking at 23T max, or a brushless motor (I forget which brushless motors it can accept).

From that chart below the number to pay attention to is the amount of Turns for each motor, more turns=more torque, but less speed. A stock torque tuned motor is a decent balance at 25T.

As for the cost of the bearings...I hate to break it to you but there are a number of RC parts that I feel are a bit unreasonably priced. Try $7 (and $6 shipping) for two scews that can only be ordered online.

• Like 1

The spec is in your link. You can run brushed motors only:

"Compatible motor: Tamiya Sport-Tuned Motor and motors over 25 turns"

So any 25+ turns brushed motor from any manufacturer, or the Tamiya Sport Tuned motor.

Best bang for buck is likely the Tamiya GT Tuned motor as a straight swap.

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

@Kowalski86 the esc that comes with the kit is https://www.emodels.co.uk/tamiya-45055-teu-105bk-with-bec-uk-code-90549.html

generally speaking, how do I know if a motor fits this esc?

thanks.

Cheaper upgrade: Torque Tuned, Sports Tuned 

More expensive: Lightly Tuned, Dirt Tuned, U/GT Tuned 

Generally, no other brand motors can match Tamiya's performance (on paper). So another brand's 25T will not have the same numbers as the TT or LT 

Personally, I will just ditch that ESC and get a HW/Carson 1060 even if I am running the kit silver can.

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Cheaper upgrade: Torque Tuned, Sports Tuned 

More expensive: Lightly Tuned, Dirt Tuned, U/GT Tuned 

Generally, no other brand motors can match Tamiya's performance (on paper). So another brand's 25T will not have the same numbers as the TT or LT 

Personally, I will just ditch that ESC and get a HW/Carson 1060 even if I am running the kit silver can.

I'd pick up a Torque Tuned (if you have a silver can), aluminum motor mount, and bump up the pinion one or two teeth. I have no experience with the Dirt Tuned, but the Lightly Tuned motor is more or less a re-buildable silver can with more torque but less top end, but more importantly it looks cool!

58 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'd pick up a Torque Tuned (if you have a silver can), aluminum motor mount, and bump up the pinion one or two teeth. I have no experience with the Dirt Tuned, but the Lightly Tuned motor is more or less a re-buildable silver can with more torque but less top end, but more importantly it looks cool!

Going by the numbers, I will say the LT/DT is more like the rebuildable equivalent of a TT while the U/GT are the equivalent of ST. I will call the FT/TR a rebuildable silver can.

KTMt4AZ.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Going by the numbers, I will say the LT/DT is more like the rebuildable equivalent of a TT while the U/GT are the equivalent of ST. I will call the FT/TR a rebuildable silver can.

KTMt4AZ.jpg

Thanks for that chart, I had no idea the LT put out that much torque!

12 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thanks for that chart, I had no idea the LT put out that much torque!

As I said before, on paper at least, Tamiya motors post amazing numbers against others. For example, an Absima will need to go down to 18T to match one of the Zs. How true are the numbers above, I cannot say as I have no means to measure.

lightly tuned looks nice form where I am standing...

I am a bit scared the torque would rip through the plastics of the car :)

anyone have experienced this motor?

3 hours ago, gkatz said:

lightly tuned looks nice form where I am standing...

I am a bit scared the torque would rip through the plastics of the car :)

anyone have experienced this motor?

I have it along with the GT, DT, all the Zs, TT and ST. It will not rip though anything expect tyres as @Kowalski86 said, and even the TT will do that, on higher gearing. He had also suggested an alum motor mount, I second that. I have alum motor mounts on nearly all my cars and never had any motors ripping anything.

Unless you are into collecting motors, or just want the nice look of an expensive motor, I will say the TT/ST is good enough, and if you buy from Japan, one LT is equal in cost 3 or 4 TT/ST. (BTW the U/GT is the posh version of a ST like the LT is the posh version of the TT)

• Like 1