Novamadcars

How much do you spend a month on the hobby?

I'm very curious as to how much some of you members spend a week/month on your rc hobby? Only asking as I see some members getting daily delivery of kits or parts. I limit myself to £150 tops a months if I want anything rc.

I look forward to your replys

• Like 1

I put £200 a month into an RC pot.

Most months I spend considerably less than that with just wheels and tyres for racing being purchased, or small bits to complete projects, or other consumables (servo tape, fluids, threadlock, bearings, screws etc)

Sometimes I end up with a bit of a surplus and get something a bit special though, I got a KO radio last year which was a real step up from the Spectrum DX5C I'd been using.

Saving for a small CNC mill at the mo so I can start knocking out some of my own parts (going to DIY an openbuilds MiniMill)

• Like 2

that is impossible to calculate.  some months i will spend zero dollars, and just work on things i have in the stash.  other months, i will burn through hundreds of dollars collecting things to go in the stash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tim.senecal said:

that is impossible to calculate.  some months i will spend zero dollars, and just work on things i have in the stash.  other months, i will burn through hundreds of dollars collecting things to go in the stash.

Like me some months I spend nothing on rc but if I do want anything still limit myself to the £150 a month budget. 

28 minutes ago, Novamadcars said:

Come on your one of the members I'm very curious as to how much you spend lol 

Over $5 per month for certain. :D  .. :ph34r:

• Haha 9

I would say for many of us, the budget will fluctuate over time as personal circumstances change, dictating what you can afford. Especially big life events like getting marries or having kids. I've had years where money was really tight and I was cautious buying anything to being in a position where I'm able to get kits almost monthly. Personally for me, one thing I have noticed, the better the budget, the less time I had for hobbies, but I am a small business owner, so usually better money means work is really busy.

• Like 8

I used to collect video games and much of my return to the hobby has been funded by  reducing my collection. The last year probably averaged £200 a month but this will slow right down over the next six months or so. 

• Like 1

It has been 4 months since i got back to rc… had nothing (no tools no nuthin), so spent quite a bit for tools + initial kits as well as hop ups. I can see it slowing down quite a bit as I am trying to go out and run more :)

Lately, almost nothing. I have so much stuff backlogged that I don't really need to spend any money. Maybe some paint here and there, or a servo, or some hardware I can't find in my stash, but for the most part I'm set for a good long while. Which is good, because we're probably going to have a lean year.

• Like 2

Blimey! No wonder my fleet is quite modest compared to many on here. Apart from birthdays and Christmas, my monthly hobby budget is £50!

• Like 1

It varies wildly with me, usually dependent on earnings and what I need. Every now and then, like last month, something comes along that I can't afford yet can't walk away from cause it is a good deal and uncommon. That happened last month, I'm skint now. Oh well.

• Like 1

Oh and, What? Which car? Oh that one darling....no it's not new, I've had that one for years....and no I don't remember me sneaking in holding a large box.

• Haha 2

Only just into this hobby, but considerably less than my other hobby, road cycling, cost me.

First road bike was £1000, the second was about £2000 and that was with buying all the bits at sale prices and building it up myself. Cycling shoes cost the same as an rc kit and decent cycling wear costs a fortune!

• Like 1

Ive been back into rc for ten months now, averaged about 200eur, basically a kit and some bitz, per month, but i do not intend to keep that pace going.

My “pocket money” budget is $300 AUD a month, that needs to cover my racing as well as all other hobbies 

Long winded, but might help..

A good few years back, me and my wife did a financial clean up. Its a good thing to do once a year imo. Get a few months bank statements (so, suggest to go through them, when you've not had any spends, you want a chance at keeping under the radar.....🙄), and go through each spend (first time I did this, I found a £5.99 monthly DD, that was for a mobile phone insurance, 3 phones before....😬). 

We had full package cable, so I could watch the car programmes (NHRA, AMA Supercross , Fast & Loud etc). My wife only watches soaps on council telly, so we agreed , that if we reduced the TV package to minimum, I could have the difference (plus the £6) as a float for 'car stuff'.

So around £70 was agreed, but that's kind of taken a backseat the past while, with the cost of living as it is atm..☹️

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Start growing vegetables and raising a cow, the money you save on food could be spent on RC.😄

Have you ever tried growing your own veg, and costed it? 

It's similar to getting married, and getting 'love' for free......🙄🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Only just into this hobby, but considerably less than my other hobby, road cycling, cost me.

First road bike was £1000, the second was about £2000 and that was with buying all the bits at sale prices and building it up myself. Cycling shoes cost the same as an rc kit and decent cycling wear costs a fortune!

Oh, so you're a pedaler?, I thought they were a dying breed since my invention of Rocker Chopper.

The forums only 2 wheel drive electric scooter. Or Rasta bike which still has the pedals, but I'm not a pedaler.

OY7F36p.jpeg

tm8zv6P.jpeg

mqtRlWr.jpego81NyHZ.jpeg

• Like 2

Past month was more expensive with a lot of stuff for the juggernaut, about 100 euro. But typically I'll try to limit to 50 a month max, most months is zero as I don't always work on te cars.

Some use more budget: