Cuiken

Not condoning over consumption but...

My brother asks 'How drunk do I need to be to finally pull the trigger on a TT02 Type S' chassis?'

For me, I know I have a weakness for impulse purchases after a couple of cans of beer with dinner on a Friday night. Potentially some kind of sobriety check on eBay would have saved me a fortune.... :) 

Cheers,

• Haha 12

Oh that definitely helps, its not like most of us need any more cars. An afternoon in the sun on the deck with some IIPA with my wife did turn into an FF04 Evo though. She laughed when it turned up!

• Haha 5

Interesting, not just a couple of beers then. You also required good weather and good company. This may not help my brother as it's January in Manchester (great company but not a lot of sun).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ebay & too much alcohol are not a good mix...a mate ended up winning a Porsche one night... took a lot of explaining to his wife the next day... 

• Haha 5

After partaking in the amber nectar and browsing ebay one night, i found a seller in the states who was selling some new old stock Tamiya Audi Quattro rear tyres. He had 5 sets and asked if i wanted them all. The beer said yes and i woke up the next day to find i had spent over £300 with the shipping. :blink:

J

• Sad 1

I don’t consume alcohol (stopped since early 2000’s) so if I did something it’s all on me..  :ph34r:

I’m not an alcoholic or anything like that, but I’ve known my hand faintly shakes when I drink (usually during the day while not drinking) so I can’t have that for any of my hobbies.  

I don't drink much alcohol at all. Recently, I nearly hit buy on a GF-01TR MBT that was on offer for about 5% cheaper than anywhere else but when I went up to the loft to get paint for it, I saw that the roof is leaking. A repair that will cost a grand sober me up even though I was not drunk and put a stop to that purchase.

• Sad 1

I started drinking non alc beer about 6 months ago, 

it’s made no difference to my tamiya spending habits! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've always said the alcoholic beverages and rc car hobby with a splash of online auctions is a very bad concoction! A few years ago I had a all day wedding and an overnight stay at the local hotel and a bit inebriated that night back in the hotel I've obviously put a bid in on a super hotshot that I didn't even remember until a knock at the door and the parcelforce driver handed me the box I looked back at my history and I indeed had won it:o 

Had I looked at it without alcohol eyes I would have realised it had a lot of standard hotshot parts on it which he didn't hide but never said.......cost me a fortune to put back to a super hotshot I could have bought a nib super for what it cost me:rolleyes:

20210328_140102.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m all too familiar with those ‘surprise’ deliveries of RC nick nacks (usually tyres and wheels for some reason) that I have forgotten I’ve ordered after a night out.

Biggest drunken purchase though was an electric guitar that I forgot I ordered after a night out in Korea. Arrived at my house the same morning I got back from the trip 😂.

• Haha 2

More of these please guys.

Is it a damning indictment on me that I've made all of my worst purchases while completely sober?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

More of these please guys.

Is it a damning indictment on me that I've made all of my worst purchases while completely sober?

Don't worry mate I've made some crazy purchases when completely sober:rolleyes::D like the time many years ago I part exchanged my loved Sierra cosworth for a vauxhall astra GTE.....didn't like it in the test drive and still bought it and driving it on the way home from the garage didn't like it even more and sold it 3 weeks later and to this day I have no idea why I did it? I couldn't even have the excuse it was the colour because they were both white!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, moffman said:

Don't worry mate I've made some crazy purchases when completely sober:rolleyes::D like the time many years ago I part exchanged my loved Sierra cosworth for a vauxhall astra GTE.....didn't like it in the test drive and still bought it and driving it on the way home from the garage didn't like it even more and sold it 3 weeks later and to this day I have no idea why I did it? I couldn't even have the excuse it was the colour because they were both white!

Not judging in any way, but I would have kept the cozzie. I get overly attached to cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

This is an actual nightmare of mine. I sell the car and buy something that I clearly like less. Wake up and have to go and check the driveway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Not judging in any way, but I would have kept the cozzie. I get overly attached to cars.

Oh mate I loved that car it was my first ever car that had electric windows and central locking and it never missed a beat! Super reliable! Part exchanged the GTE for a Ford Orion ghia not a patch on the cosworth but nice! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moffman said:

Oh mate I loved that car it was my first ever car that had electric windows and central locking and it never missed a beat! Super reliable! Part exchanged the GTE for a Ford Orion ghia not a patch on the cosworth but nice! 

Yeah, there comes a time when what car you are using day to day really depends on the kind of driving you do. I have a WRX that I have to fix the clutch on. I love that car. I also have a Suaru Outback wagon (auto) that is just better for day to day. Tbh the WRX is a bit wasted on me, but jeeze it's nice to drive sometimes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Yeah, there comes a time when what car you are using day to day really depends on the kind of driving you do. I have a WRX that I have to fix the clutch on. I love that car. I also have a Suaru Outback wagon (auto) that is just better for day to day. Tbh the WRX is a bit wasted on me, but jeeze it's nice to drive sometimes.

Oh definitely don't get me wrong the Sierra wasn't the most economical car by a long shot but like you say with your WRX it was just nice and it give you a bit of a buzz I have a 2020 focus st and it's all bells and whistles technology in it and super comfortable and blisteringly quick and gorgeous to drive but is it as good as the Sierra cosworth to drive where your only driving aid was power steering!......in one word...no!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

So true mate, I have one of the last Aus built XR8 Falcons with 5.0 Supercharged V8 and 6spd Manual, Its exhilarating to drive, but not suited to daily driving, for that I have a Ranger dual cab auto, much easier to live with day to day. The XR8 sits in the garage under 2 covers waiting for nice weather drives where it can really be enjoyed

• Like 2