Sign in to follow this  
Simon998

Lubing plastic joints?

I've had a search through the forum and can't see it mentioned. I used grease on the pivot points on all my TT-02 plastic arms and with carpet racing they seem to attract all of the dust/dirt and start to bind a little. Would PTFE spray lube or graphite powder be a better recommendation?

Thanks

If you need to use grease on those joints, I would dust it with very small amounts of graphite grease.  I would recommend dry lubes like chain lube too if I knew whether they interact with the plastic or not.. no idea..

I was taking a guess that it was the plastic on plastic causing friction but I just sripped the car there and it seems my Fastrax aluminum front CV joints are rubbish and really notchy. They're only 1 battery pack old ffs. Back to the tamiya plastic hubs and shaft and the binding is all gone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simon998 said:

I've had a search through the forum and can't see it mentioned. I used grease on the pivot points on all my TT-02 plastic arms and with carpet racing they seem to attract all of the dust/dirt and start to bind a little. Would PTFE spray lube or graphite powder be a better recommendation?

Thanks

You don't need any lubricants on arm pivots, even on something like driveshafts you should keep the lubrication light (a drop of oil), otherwise (as you've found out) it will just be a magnet for dust and grime that will make it wear out faster.

3 hours ago, Simon998 said:

I was taking a guess that it was the plastic on plastic causing friction but I just sripped the car there and it seems my Fastrax aluminum front CV joints are rubbish and really notchy. They're only 1 battery pack old ffs. Back to the tamiya plastic hubs and shaft and the binding is all gone.

I'm seeing more and more stories like this with regards to aftermarket. Is this type of thing typical? Maybe there is a reason why Tamiya parts are more expensive than most? 

16 hours ago, Rally! said:

I'm seeing more and more stories like this with regards to aftermarket. Is this type of thing typical? Maybe there is a reason why Tamiya parts are more expensive than most? 

This is my second set of front CV's from Fastrax (All my local shop had). I'd a minor crash into a wall and bent one at the theaded tip, second set and after a battery pack through them they're both stiff as and notchy, you can feel them tighten up and loosen as you rotate the wheel

• Like 1

I'm a regular user of my TT01E Scooby and don't use any lube on my suspension pivots. It attracts the car park grime where we "race".

Also, not a fan of Fastrax at all. i bought several sets of their 1:10 buggy spoke wheels in tarmac and pin spike. Absolute garbage. The rims are SO brittle. Actually had more than one shatter while just cornering on both my Top Force and Egress. Admittedly they are pretty fast. Top Force I've had tested up to 46 MPH in limited space, and Egress 45 MPH.