Hi all anyone in the Uk used tamico.de lately? What’s the crack with the shipping says you have to spend €165 euros in total but this amount would incur VAT as it’s over £135. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cosworthwesty said:

Hi all anyone in the Uk used tamico.de lately? What’s the crack with the shipping says you have to spend €165 euros in total but this amount would incur VAT as it’s over £135. 

Any amount will/should incur VAT, especially if coming from EU. The reason that many EU sellers will impose a minimum spend is they do need to do additional paperwork for selling to UK, so they cannot be bothered to do so for too small a sale. Also, I believe putting it above £135 means the buyer deal with payment etc, meaning that the seller does not need to collect VAT for HMRC 

• Like 1

Also, if you have UK settings on the site all the prices are quoted ex vat, so combine that with the minimum spend limit and you pretty much know you need to add c.25% (have I that right? I think the duty in this case is 5% but that needs checking. I'm pretty sure it's not more) for vat and duty and another £12 fee that's standard to, I think, cover the admin of the delivery company getting the vat and duty out of you. 

So in short you need a biggish order and fairly significant savings for it to make sense, but their savings are sometimes such that they're a really low price option. 

• Like 1

Read this 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk

"Consignments valued at £135 or less

The seller must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale"

Many sellers will not bother to do this and thus imposed a minimum spend. Doing so shifts the tax issue to the customers instead of them dealing with it.

@cosworthwesty my twopen'orth....

1. Tamico regularly have parts that you just can't get anywhere else, often small metal bits and bobs, bodies, body sets etc, and generally at decent prices. So they're a really valuable supplier to the hobby and in my opinion it's worth fleshing out a basket to hit the minimum order value, particularly because...
  2. As stated above, Tamico remove the VAT for sales to the UK anyway, so prices are immediately 'fair' should you end up having to pay the VAT as a pre-delivery charge down the line. I always price those potential charges in, and if the basket still looks like good value I go for it. And based on that experience...
  3. I've placed 15-20 orders (at roughly minimum order value, nothing too excessive) with them since B*****it and only once have I been collared for the import VAT and charges, and that was when there was an issue with the paperwork from the get-go which got picked up during transit in Belgium. The parcel got red-flagged and, sure enough, Parcelforce delivered a letter before they would deliver the parcel. Other than that, no drama and no post-purchase charges at all.

I expect point 3 is mostly luck, but it seems to be fairly consistent 🤷🏻‍♂️. So as long as you have a clear perspective on points 1 and 2, you've got nothing to lose...

• Like 3

I ordered the €165 required for shipping to the UK last month, no shipping or VAT was added on entry to Uk. Paid for Royal Mail delivery option but it was delivered by parcel force not sure if that helped with the import costs not being added or if I just got lucky 😀

• Like 2

If your order was really close to €165, maybe they apply a fairly relaxed view to the exchange rate when applying the threshold on which parcels to hit for duty and vat? It has occurred to me before that it'd be annoying if I bought something for £134.99 and got charged because my exchange rate was better than HMRC assumed. 

I have an order outstanding, but it's like triple the threshold. I fully expect to be charged. In the unlikely event I don't get charged I could have an unexpected entry into the budget rally thread. 

• Like 1

Let us know how you get on.  I nearly ordered a kit from Tamico recently, but bought from the UK instead, but not being charged the fees would have been a massive bonus.

It would be very odd if lots of orders were getting through without being charged VAT when they should be.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cephas said:

I ordered the €165 required for shipping to the UK last month, no shipping or VAT was added on entry to Uk. Paid for Royal Mail delivery option but it was delivered by parcel force not sure if that helped with the import costs not being added or if I just got lucky 😀

My experience is it doesn't matter which delivery service you select from Tamico (Royal Mail or DHL) everything gets delivered by Parcelforce. Parcelforce seems to be the final 'downstream' leg of the service (once it's in the UK) whichever option you choose. The 'Royal Mail' or 'DHL' options are the 'upstream' choices to get it out of Germany, and the DHL option seems to hit the 'Exported to the UK' stage a bit quicker than the other (ParcelOne network) option

16 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

If your order was really close to €165, maybe they apply a fairly relaxed view to the exchange rate when applying the threshold on which parcels to hit for duty and vat?

This has always been my assumption too, and is how I play it. The only exception was I took a punt on the Anniversary 934 TA02 last year and it also arrived with no charges 🤷🏻‍♂️

Guys, remember UKBF were on strike last month? Could be part of the reason that some things got through? The public and visible side is passport control but what about the other side?

My only experience of ordering from the EU (albeit via ebay) is that Ebay collected VAT at point of sale (90 euro purchase plus about 20 euro postage).  I then got stung by Parcelforce for VAT again and the £12 admin fee!

I've managed to get the VAT back from Ebay however via a refund.

13 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

My experience is it doesn't matter which delivery service you select from Tamico (Royal Mail or DHL) everything gets delivered by Parcelforce. Parcelforce seems to be the final 'downstream' leg of the service (once it's in the UK) whichever option you choose. The 'Royal Mail' or 'DHL' options are the 'upstream' choices to get it out of Germany, and the DHL option seems to hit the 'Exported to the UK' stage a bit quicker than the other (ParcelOne network) option

This has always been my assumption too, and is how I play it. The only exception was I took a punt on the Anniversary 934 TA02 last year and it also arrived with no charges 🤷🏻‍♂️

My M08R arrived last Friday using the DHL / Parcelforce route without any extra charges. With additional items the total value was £250. I had braced for impact but escaped unscathed!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

My M08R arrived last Friday using the DHL / Parcelforce route without any extra charges. With additional items the total value was £250. I had braced for impact but escaped unscathed!

Hurrah!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

A little bit more optimism for me then, although I still very much expect a charge. I went for the royal mail option I think, to save like €2 🙄

• Like 1

It's crazy that charges aren't being applied, there's clearly a glitch in the matrix somewhere!

Should have ordered my kit from Tamico....

45 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

It's crazy that charges aren't being applied, there's clearly a glitch in the matrix somewhere!

I think it more got to do with the BF strikes than any glitches.

From what I understand, there is significant lack of import control into the UK at present. That obviously covers a multitude of elements, however I suspect chargeable duty would be one of them. I believe official figures do show significant divergence between pre and post B word revenues. Since none of this vat malarkey was necessary pre B within the EU, I suspect the scale of the task to introduce and enforce it post B has been somewhat under estimated.

Strikes and disruption also won't help.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I think it more got to do with the BF strikes than any glitches.

From what I can see, there haven't been any Royal Mail strikes in 2023.

There was a cyber attack but it didn't affect Parcelforce and strike disruption from 2022 appears to have passed.

2 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

From what I can see, there haven't been any Royal Mail strikes in 2023.

There was a cyber attack but it didn't affect Parcelforce and strike disruption from 2022 appears to have passed.

I said BF not RM but now that you mentioned it, it could be a combination of both (in Dec 2022) that caused a massive backlog of parcels and so they just got pushed through without action? Is that the case? We can only keep guessing and play pass the parcel (to HMRC).

I think it's the courier that identifies if the package requires charging, they pay it, notify Customs and claim it back. I don't think Customs/BF do the checking themselves.

14 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I said BF not RM but now that you mentioned it, it could be a combination of both (in Dec 2022) that caused a massive backlog of parcels and so they just got pushed through without action? Is that my the case? We can only keep guessing and play pass the parcel (to HMRC).

Mine got charged in December 2022.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I said BF not RM but now that you mentioned it, it could be a combination of both (in Dec 2022) that caused a massive backlog of parcels and so they just got pushed through without action? Is that the case? We can only keep guessing and play pass the parcel (to HMRC).

So you did. There haven't been any of those this year either. As you say, we can only guess but it appears to have been pretty random post-B, as noted by @Silver-Can.

Tamico attached the relevant paperwork to the outside of the package available for inspection in a plastic wallet,.

How long does a delivery from Tamico usually take using the Royal Mail option?

I have a packge incoming that was disptached last Friday, and as of today (Thursday) the tracking says it left Germany on Monday but nothing more...

18 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

How long does a delivery from Tamico usually take using the Royal Mail option?

I have a packge incoming that was disptached last Friday, and as of today (Thursday) the tracking says it left Germany on Monday but nothing more...

My experience using the 'Royal Mail' (ie non-courier) option is that it usually takes 7-10 days from despatch to delivery 

Generally, it gets routed from Germany to Belgium and then on to the UK. So your package is probably still in mainland Europe somewhere