Sign in to follow this  
jonnas42

Audi Quattro resto

Happy new year everyone, hope everyone had a great Christmas.

so I’ve just bought an Audi Quattro Rally off a really nice guy in the north of Scotland.

He has owned it since the eighties but decided to part company with it for which I am very grateful.

looks like it will need some work, the idler gear is missing between the motor pinion and large gear, also the gear box cover is missing.

so my question to everyone is this, are these parts interchangeable with the wheeler series, if so long wheel base or short.

looking at some parts on eBay but the seller is unsure.

here are some pictures below, I haven’t received it yet, hopefully should arrive in the next day or two.

many thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

A80490FF-3C52-42D4-8FAA-42F7D5B5074A.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow. What’s a great looking buggy. I like those tires. Would love to see some better pictures of them. Looks to be on the original rims?  I’ve never seen other tire other than the original and the HCT ores mounted to these rims. More info please. On to the gear box. In short 58036 and the opel are the only cars that I’m aware of that share the exact gear box. Close gear boxes are wild willys and Willy’s wheeler. The good news is it looks like you have the motor with the pinion as that’s very hard to find. The bad news is wild Willy’s pinion is different size (I think)  which to me means that the mating gear is different however I could be wrong on this. Someone here will know. Might be worth picking up a Willy’s for parts and see what you can get out of the gear box. It also shares a handful of other parts with Willy’s and wheeler. I don’t know the specifics on the wheeler gear box but those are as rare if not more rare than Audi. I really love the 58035 Audi and I hope you can get yours going 

Thanks Exit13, I’ve contacted this seller, it was him who asked the question initially as to whether the Quattro is SWB or LWB.

He has a gear cover but he wasn’t sure it would fit.

I still haven’t received the car yet, but looking at it the tyres look like Ford Ranger or Rough Rider rears, I’ll have a closer look when it arrives.

Well I hope you get it going and those tires work. if you needed tires in a pinch the Honda city turbo tires fit as they use the same rim. Here is mine before I found the original tires. 

HvtbEXX.jpg

• Like 1

That’s the idler gear for the diff I think 18 tooth, the one need is plastic and 20 teeth.

It’s in this bag, only £7.99, would need the shaft and spacer for it to work.

BE9A672B-B27B-44E5-922E-30983C6FAF43.png

24 minutes ago, jonnas42 said:

I like the gold body.

think I’ve read your thread restoring this one

Thanks. I kind of want to  redo it to this gold if I can get the paint off properly without damaging body and decals

j71vJ8u.jpg 

27 minutes ago, jonnas42 said:

That’s the idler gear for the diff I think 18 tooth, the one need is plastic and 20 teeth.

It’s in this bag, only £7.99, would need the shaft and spacer for it to work.

BE9A672B-B27B-44E5-922E-30983C6FAF43.png

BUY IT NOW. you will be closer to the finish. 

I wonder how different they are?  
https://www.ebay.com/itm/266091007314?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2h4Q2XS4TQS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=l_KEjuzlRnC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

with a wild Willy’s motor and the mating gear you should have a runner. Or at the very least harvest the shaft and spacer and use the gear out of the bag you posted earlier. 

Sorry to say but I have ended up breaking up this one for parts.

when it arrived and after working out what i would need to get it to a good standard to display it just wasn’t going to be worth it.

hopefully people out there looking for parts will benefit.

not the outcome I was hoping for, but not every Tamiya can be saved.