Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

Schumacher Cougar Classic questions

I've just finished assembling the Cougar Classic and I have a few questions. Please note that I am a complete Schumacher noob so I am not familiar with "Schumacher-ness". :D

First, what's with the self-tapping screws into aluminum? Is there a screw kit with normal machine screws? I ran across some mentions about screw kits and now I understand why people ask.

Second, I assembled the shocks per the instructions. They seem massively stiff. I think the pistons should have larger holes and/or the kit oil is too heavy. Are there upgraded pistons or should I just enlarge the notches currently there and maybe switch to a lighter oil?

Third, I literally crushed the metal ball thingy trying to get it into the ball end for the front shock. There has to be a better option. Ideas?

Lastly, does anyone have the ball bearing steering in stock?

• Like 1

I too know nothing about schumacher and haven’t built my cougar yet. I read a few people complain about similar shock issues. I also read i believe on facebook that the steering upgrade never came out cause of an issue in production or pulled right away. Don’t know the truth of it. I have heard mixed reviews with the stock gearbox also, some say it is great other say it strips. I am keeping my brushed with a tamiya superstock rz. I wont build mine until the spring most likely. 

How did the assembly go? I have heard and seen on youtube the joy of building the universals lol. 

• Like 1

@RichieRich I'm so glad you've broken your schumacher virginity:) I've built about a dozen of them over the years and they are definitely for the rc hobbiest who's confident in his/her building knowledge! The self tappers into aluminium is just Schumacher's way

in regards to the piston you can get different size pistons holes from the xls but I've always left it the same size hole but used tamiya soft oil simply because if you start to make the whole bigger you then can't go back but you can put thinner or thicker oil in to your liking and it's the easiest option! 

That's a new one to me crushing the pivot balls:lol: but I can see how you did it! 

@Rb4276 I hope you enjoy your build when you get around to it! I've built both upgrade transmission and standard and has brushless in both types and never had any bother with either type my topcat had pro transmission brushless my xls standard transmission with 12 turn brushed and my cougar classic standard transmission with 13 turn brushed all 3 2s lipo just don't over tighten the belt with the belt tensioner and the ball diff should have a little tension under load!

With regard to the Uj's like I said on this forum many times before just be careful mate I've snapped them but only when I followed the instructions on warming them up and also I've had a visit down to A&E after putting a screwdriver through my hand trying to put the plastic on the metal square block! 

This is only my five pennies worth of experience I've had over the years and I hope it's of some use! I hope you guys really enjoy your schumacher buggies they are a more challenging kit to build than your tamiya and kyosho rc kits trust me once built and running you won't regret buying and building them!

20220828_152101.jpg

20220118_170428.jpg

20210111_174021.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

How did the assembly go? I have heard and seen on youtube the joy of building the universals lol. 

The assembly went fine. Instructions are clear and all the parts are bagged by step. Super helpful. Building the universals was a chore but not frustrating. The servo saver is another story. That is a royal pain in the behind. If you have a better option, I'd use that or don't use one if you have the appropriate servo.

I think I am going to rebuild the shocks with a lighter oil, maybe a 30 or 35 ae silicone. This rock hard suspension is not going to work on my local dirt track. I'm planning on running a more old school setup with a vintage Novak Cyclone and maybe a 12-15 turn brushed motor.

• Like 3

I have just finished building my sons CC. As far as the shocks go, I have fitted a softer Schumacher black spring on the front, and added a single 1.1mm hole opposite the notch to the front pistons. I used an Associated piston which is a similar diameter to guide where to drill the hole. On the rear I have the grey springs, kit pistons and 30wt Associated oil. I have yet to run the car but it feels more in line with what it should imo.

13 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

The servo saver is another story. That is a royal pain 

Yeah basically turning it upside down inside out at the same time opening it to get it in position:blink:  I just used a one off my monster beetle! 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, moffman said:

Yeah basically turning it upside down inside out at the same time opening it to get it in position:blink:  I just used a one off my monster beetle! 

Can I just you an aluminum servo horn? If break a crappy $17 amazon servo i don’t care. 

• Like 1

@moffman thanks I look forward to building it actually moreso than my optima mid i have sitting. I think cause as a kid I always wanted and loved Schumacher cars in rc action & rc model cars mags. You schumacher collection looks great. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:49 PM, Rb4276 said:

Can I just you an aluminum servo horn? If break a crappy $17 amazon servo i don’t care. 

Yeah I dare say you could just means if your servo gets an unexpected load/shock its probably going to go down the chain of weak points until it meets the culprit to damage! 

@RichieRich don't  know if it's to late for you but I got this today for my impending pro-cat build simply because your experience with the servo saver prompted me to enquire about any recommend better servo savers and schumacher actually do one although its another manufacturer but in schumacher packaging and it was only £5 (kimbrough servo saver) 

20230119_143600.jpg

• Like 1

The schumacher servo savers are good. I like them. I put them on everything I can!

As mentioned, kit springs are too stiff, and the damping is way too heavy.

The mid rere on the other hand is the opposite!

I think they use self rappers as the alloy is thin. Self rappers give you a much caused thread. Machine screws I suspect would strip the threads quite quickly.

As for the trans, I put a 14x2 in it and it stripped the layshaft in about 3 mins.

The new parts fit much better. It needs careful assembly. 

You need to make sure the pulley fits onto the pin properly. The inner pulley should fit in so the fence is flush.

If there is a gap, the pulley isn't seating on the pin properly. It will still fit in the greabox though!

If it does all fit together properly, the layshaft assembly may now be a little narrow. Check the end float and shim it if need be. That will stop the pulley halfs separating and will help stop the layshaft pulley stripping put inside.

So I cleaned up the notches on the pistons for the front and rear shocks. Additionally, I added a 1.2 mm hole on the front pistons. This made a huge difference. I think the kit springs should work out fine. 450 Schumacher oil in the rear and 35 wt ae oil in the front. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I purchased the carbon fiber shock towers a while back and installed them today. I was wondering why there were "extra" parts that came with the rear tower. Who knew that if you want a non-insane way of attaching the wing, you could just get the rear carbon fiber tower? This info could have saved me an existential crisis!!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I purchased the carbon fiber shock towers a while back and installed them today. I was wondering why there were "extra" parts that came with the rear tower. Who knew that if you want a non-insane way of attaching the wing, you could just get the rear carbon fiber tower? This info could have saved me an existential crisis!!! 

I noticed that, I think if the rubber bands break on mine I'll upgrade to that part.  Hopefully they'll last alot longer than the layshaft pulley which was about 4 minutes. 

I finally got my cougar up and running after the layshaft stripped before even officially running it. Right now I have a superstock rz and LRP 17 x 2. Has anyone gone lower than a 17 turn motor with the stock diff? I do have the pro transmission but would like to keep it sealed. 

6 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I finally got my cougar up and running after the layshaft stripped before even officially running it. Right now I have a superstock rz and LRP 17 x 2. Has anyone gone lower than a 17 turn motor with the stock diff? I do have the pro transmission but would like to keep it sealed. 

Layshafts have always been the main achilles heel in the cougar.  They wear really fast even in the '95 team edition.  Car/drivetrain looks mint...worn layshaft.  I'd be seriously looking at putting the pro transmission in and see how that does

Anyone have info about the ball raced steering (U8299) for the Cougar Classic?  It has not been in stock at Schumacher's site since like 10 months ago when it was first released. I heard there were problems with the fitment early on. Did they decide to stop making more and not redesign it?  Anyone with inside info?

4 hours ago, hamtaro said:

Layshafts have always been the main achilles heel in the cougar.  They wear really fast even in the '95 team edition.  Car/drivetrain looks mint...worn layshaft.  I'd be seriously looking at putting the pro transmission in and see how that does

I definitely will end up doing that if it fails with either of these brushed motors and will go brushless for sure with a 13.5  or 10.5 justock

1 hour ago, Champ85 said:

Anyone have info about the ball raced steering (U8299) for the Cougar Classic?  It has not been in stock at Schumacher's site since like 10 months ago when it was first released. I heard there were problems with the fitment early on. Did they decide to stop making more and not redesign it?  Anyone with inside info?

They had it listed on their site as being back in stock September for a while now. 

Not any more, it's now listed as 1st November there and also on Modelsport's website.

There were fitment issues with the original version, I don' t know why it's taking so long to redesign though...

7 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Not any more, it's now listed as 1st November there and also on Modelsport's website.

There were fitment issues with the original stock version, I don' t know why it's taking so long to redesign though...

There is a fitment issue with the original steering arms too, if they havent fixed that in 30+ years why bother with this either lol. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, I totally forgot about the ball bearing steering. I mean, how long has it been? Did anyone actually receive one of these bad steering sets?

I seem to recall Gavin at RCKicks fitted a set in one of his videos and there were clearance issues.

6 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I seem to recall Gavin at RCKicks fitted a set in one of his videos and there were clearance issues.

The stock one has clearance issues. I had to use a aluminum arm that was extra long to allow the steering arms to clear with different ball ends.  

Well then they're both ******* then!

Gav talks about the upgrade in this video around 4:40, he doesn't mention issues with the kit standard steering but does when it comes to the ballraced version: