Jump to content
Saito2

Kyosho Ultima SB Dirt Master

Recommended Posts

Teaser – Kyosho 1/10 Ultima SB Dirt Master 2WD Buggy « Big Squid RC – RC  Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!

You know, call me crazy, (I am) but I'm way more excited for this than I ever was for the Astute 2022. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends on what you actually get out of the box, but this thing from what I've seen is a re-bodied slightly modded RB5.
Now, as the owner of an RB5 I can tell you that this is a good thing. RB5's are awesome buggies. Somewhat equivalent to the B4 and pre-dates the TRF201 by a couple years.

This would be good for someone who wants to say ...club race with a more retro looking buggy. This should also mean that spares will be available again for the RB5, depending on the plastics.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have an NIB RB5 sitting in the closet and I'd love to get this body + wing set. It looks like it may be an easy swap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sold my RB5, Kinda regret it, was an SP2 WC, so big bore velvel shocks among other things

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2023 at 4:14 PM, mtbkym01 said:

I sold my RB5, Kinda regret it, was an SP2 WC, so big bore velvel shocks among other things

 

Oh, that's nice. I think you need another one. :) The one I have in box is the original version. Though, I did pick up some lunsford turnbuckles and a Sword body for it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that is a proper 2wd buggy. Would be a nice next step for me, when I want a rear motor 2wd without quarky front suspension and loads of slop. Good to see it has longitudinal battery mount. 

 

Looking forward for it to be Angebot der Woche at Tamico some time in the future. Then the money will burn in the pocket. 

 

Hmm. If I paint it orange metallic and fit JC Racing Ultima wheels it would look like the Tomahawk for the rest of the household^_^.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I can definitely see myself painting one of these up like an old Triumph. Time to sell some stuff for funding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BBX is gonna have to be good to stop me buying this…….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like the look of this. It looks like it drives exactly how my DT-03 doesn't quite, despite my efforts! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, matisse said:

The BBX is gonna have to be good to stop me buying this……

What if (and lets dream for a second) this "neo-retro" thing (Kyosho's words) is a trend, gathering steam? We have the G-Force Genova and now this Dirt Master. Could this new Tamiya BBX be of the same type? One can hope...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

What if (and lets dream for a second) this "neo-retro" thing (Kyosho's words) is a trend, gathering steam? We have the G-Force Genova and now this Dirt Master. Could this new Tamiya BBX be of the same type? One can hope...

Fingers crossed!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Saito2 said:

What if (and lets dream for a second) this "neo-retro" thing (Kyosho's words) is a trend, gathering steam? We have the G-Force Genova and now this Dirt Master. Could this new Tamiya BBX be of the same type? One can hope...

Please oh God's of RC, let this proclamation by the prophet @Saito2 be the holy RC truth and nothing but the holy RC truth!!👍

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This buggy is so sexy. I feel just so excited about this as I was after ordering the Tomahawk and was waiting for it to arrive. I think this could be a good postal racer and a nice step into the brushless world for me. And might just put the dream about an Optima Mid /Turbo Optima on ice even longer. 

 

It is also a good opportunity to get RB5 parts. I am looking forward to get RB5 knuckles for the Tomahawk like Siang20 did some years ago. It will be nice to have a front end with less slop again. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody found anywhere to preorder in the UK yet? I think it looks amazing and if the BBX is heading in this direction it is going to be a cool year for us RC fans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not seen anywhere yet.

I'm in two minds about this release.  I really like it but I have a Legendary Ultima in my build queue that cost me £279 last year.  For the extra £80 you get a much higher end buggy than this new model.  For an extra £40 you can get a Tamiya TD2 which is new and different/interesting.

So I'm not sure this Dirt Master is good value?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a race for the Legendary Ultima and the Dirt Master would be very interesting.  Same electronics, same tire/wheel and time them on the same track!  It seems the 2wd Short Course trucks are all rear engine, maybe Kyosho will add one to their lineup with this chassis back out there.  They have the Rampage, but I think that is more for fun, being a solid axle with the engine/trans bolted to it.

For me, it would be history kinda repeating itself.  In the 80's I started with a Hornet, and eventually I got an Ultima Pro, but about the same time Teenager years were drawing my attention elsewhere. You know, Battletech.  GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.  :D   Oh yeah girls and cars, but GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.

These days I started with a DT-03, and may end up at a Dirt master.  I still play Battletech, on the computer.  Oh yeah and I have a wife...

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

Battletech.  

 

PPC to the head!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I've not seen anywhere yet.

I'm in two minds about this release.  I really like it but I have a Legendary Ultima in my build queue that cost me £279 last year.  For the extra £80 you get a much higher end buggy than this new model.  For an extra £40 you can get a Tamiya TD2 which is new and different/interesting.

So I'm not sure this Dirt Master is good value?

 

2 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

I think a race for the Legendary Ultima and the Dirt Master would be very interesting.  Same electronics, same tire/wheel and time them on the same track!  It seems the 2wd Short Course trucks are all rear engine, maybe Kyosho will add one to their lineup with this chassis back out there.  They have the Rampage, but I think that is more for fun, being a solid axle with the engine/trans bolted to it.

For me, it would be history kinda repeating itself.  In the 80's I started with a Hornet, and eventually I got an Ultima Pro, but about the same time Teenager years were drawing my attention elsewhere. You know, Battletech.  GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.  :D   Oh yeah girls and cars, but GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.

These days I started with a DT-03, and may end up at a Dirt master.  I still play Battletech, on the computer.  Oh yeah and I have a wife...

 

The Dirt Master is basically an RB5 from a geometry POV. So this makes a close equivalent to the RC10B4 from Associated or a TRF201.

So with same electrics and driver I would expect this new car to beat a Legendary series Ultima on track

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I love the look of it as it seems a bit bland but I bet it will be a hoot to drive and built well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...