Saito2

Kyosho Ultima SB Dirt Master

It is a bit bland. They went a little too 'basic' in the shape & paint it feels like.  It does look good in the promo video though.  I do think a set of KC Hiliters and a driver will help, and some brand/sponsor stickers.  If I got this, it is very likely I would find a different body to put on it, partly just because I can! :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

. You know, Battletech.  GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.  :D   Oh yeah girls and cars, but GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS.

These days I started with a DT-03, and may end up at a Dirt master.  I still play Battletech, on the computer.  Oh yeah and I have a wife...

Is that the original rpg type one where you learn to drive mechs then the city gets attacked etc? Spent hours completing that BiTD! Where can you get a copy now?

On topic, this looks great and if the price comes in around the NZD350 mark then its a no brainer as an entry level buggy that could see some track time. I don't really need one of those though, but know some people who do

Like the 'classic' buggy layout,

Like that I'll maybe get parts for my RB5, (although, shocks look like the plastic RB6.6 rtr shocks?) 

Is it a race car, or a basher? A basher would put it against the likes of Arrma and Traxxas? 

What race class would it race in? 

It'll get eaten alive by modern mid motored buggies, even on dirt (one of the reasons I don't race my RB5 anymore, and went to the KF2se years ago ) and too new for the iconic/ vintage class? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

Anybody found anywhere to preorder in the UK yet? I think it looks amazing and if the BBX is heading in this direction it is going to be a cool year for us RC fans!

Modelsport and L&L Models now taking pre-orders.

£215.99 RRP, £199 street price.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Is that the original rpg type one where you learn to drive mechs then the city gets attacked etc? Spent hours completing that BiTD! Where can you get a copy now?

Originally it was the pen & paper & minatures & maps. I think Crescent Hawks Inception came out on pc in 1988? I think I played that as well, but I don't think I finished it - it was on a friends computer.  It looks like myabandonware.com has it, and you can even play it through your browser.  These days it is Battletech from Harebrained Schemes (HBS), available on Steam & elsewhere.  Not 'exactly' a reproduction of the tabletop - a few liberties were taken to adapt it to whatever system they were using, but fairly close.  And of course, BIG STOMPY ROBOTS. :D

I haven't seen any pre-orders in the US yet.  A straight conversion from Kyosho Japan site, Yen is ~$230, Converting from Modelsport, Pounds is ~$245.  Looks like all electronics are required.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Modelsport and L&L Models now taking pre-orders.

£215.99 RRP, £199 street price.

That's a real shame and is over priced for what it is imo. This new Dirt Master at anything over £200 just makes me think a Turbo Scorpion would be a better buy for not a massive amount more, seen those for £250.

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

That's a real shame and is over priced for what it is imo. This new Dirt Master at anything over £200 just makes me think a Turbo Scorpion would be a better buy for not a massive amount more, seen those for £250.

That's what I'm thinking too.  It's a fully plastic 2WD kit.  You could recently (and maybe still can if you shop around) pick up 4WD Thundershot family re-re which are a similar overall spec for £125ish, some of them evern pre-cut and pre-painted, plus my Schumacher Cougar Classic was only £180...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  It's a fully plastic 2WD kit.  You could recently (and maybe still can if you shop around) pick up 4WD Thundershot family re-re which are a similar overall spec for £125ish, some of them evern pre-cut and pre-painted, plus my Schumacher Cougar Classic was only £180...

Yeah, even comparing this to Tamiya's DT-03 family offering of cheaper modern 2WD buggies, which although this Dirt Master looks to be of a higher spec, surely is also aimed at that family at the lower end as its competition. I picked up a Neo Fighter for £75 new on Amazon EU about a year ago. Now I do imagine that Kyosho will be a far better performer, but £125 better?🤔

Perception is funny isn't it?  I guess some people think it's a bargain £200 Kyosho, others it's an expensive £200 Kyosho!

Indeed it is, plus I don't know a lot about Kyosho cars tbh. Maybe this new 2WD buggy it's aimed more at Zahakk territory or maybe even 201?

Pre ordered one from SC Models in St Evenage

Looking forward to this - have a spare set of VQS Hicaps that might do to replace the plastic dampers on it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Yeah, even comparing this to Tamiya's DT-03 family offering of cheaper modern 2WD buggies, which although this Dirt Master looks to be of a higher spec, surely is also aimed at that family at the lower end as its competition. I picked up a Neo Fighter for £75 new on Amazon EU about a year ago. Now I do imagine that Kyosho will be a far better performer, but £125 better?🤔

I think it'll be a lot better. Whether it's £125 better is a big question but we could argue that a) the DT-03 at that price is very good value, and b) it needs a few very basic hop ups before you even start. 

Plus, maybe the Kyosho will settle at a slightly lower price at some point?

But yeah, is it £125 better? Don't know but I guess nearly half that is gone on bearings, turnbuckles, pinion, sensible screws and front tyres that can turn?

I won't buy one, but if I didn't have a DT-03 (and therefore 2wd buggy category kinda covered for now), and it wasn't my re-entry into rc, I might go for it. 

53 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Maybe this new 2WD buggy it's aimed more at Zahakk territory

I think this is exactly the territory its aimed at and the closest comparison to Tamiya one could make. Not saying the DT03 or DT02 are bad, but they a beginner or intermediate buggies at best. The Zahakk and likely this Dirt Master are much more advanced offerings in terms of their suspension and overall driving dynamics.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I think this is exactly the territory its aimed at and the closest comparison to Tamiya one could make. Not saying the DT03 or DT02 are bad, but they a beginner or intermediate buggies at best. The Zahakk and likely this Dirt Master are much more advanced offerings in terms of their suspension and overall driving dynamics.

This for me too. If DT-03 hadn't been my re-entry into RC I suspect I'd have been looking for a bit more, ie this sort of thing. 

Yeah this is definitely more Zahhak territory.  They pulled a competition buggy and put a few budget parts on there, particularly the shocks and self tapping screws and made it something that can grow into a competition buggy, or stay where it is. Obviously it won't compare to a mid/laydown on carpet at a competitive level, but it doesn't need to.

I actually like the plastic shocks.  CVAs get a bit of a bad rep because Tamiya did a couple things to keep it a rung below their aluminum offerings, like the pistons that are loose, so it wobbles a bit. or the coatings on the CVA shafts that seem to stick to o-rings a little bit.  I don't want to break off into a CVA discussion, but if the plastic shocks are done well I'll be quite happy with them.  The only thing I'd like to see from them would be more colors. :D  you know, like Tamiya.

Everyone has a different "well they should have done..." list, but for me I wish the motor guard had the iconic five circles of the Optima/Ultima series. I mean, if you are going for the vintage look...

Edited by SlideWRX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SlideWRX said:

The only thing I'd like to see from them would be more colors. :D  you know, like Tamiya.

As I understand it, it's coming as a kit with a clear bodyshell so can be painted any colour you like

I'm tempted, but want to see what Tamiya's new offerings look like next month.

Will the Kyosho sell out before that? 

21 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Will the Kyosho sell out before that?

You have a shot because you aren't in the States. Here, it should show up a month or more behind the rest of the world, the perorders will sell out all the stock before it even sees the shelves when it finally does arrive. About 6 months will go by and then, for one or two days, it will show up as "in stock" before disappearing again. Finally, things will settle down and Tower will have it on backorder infinitely for many years making you wonder if Kyosho is still making cars or not.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

You have a shot because you aren't in the States. Here, it should show up a month or more behind the rest of the world, the perorders will sell out all the stock before it even sees the shelves when it finally does arrive. About 6 months will go by and then, for one or two days, it will show up as "in stock" before disappearing again. Finally, things will settle down and Tower will have it on backorder infinitely for many years making you wonder if Kyosho is still making cars or not.

And if its anything like the Optima Mid then those pre-orders will be straight on ebay at 50% over retail

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Right? :D This is exactly how it goes. I'm hoping since I just want the body set, I can get from kyoshoamerica.com 

• Like 1

New track run vid released😎

Certainly seems to handle jumps pretty well 👍

• Like 4

Pre order is down and this video has whet my appetite for this RC. Never owned a RB5 so I am looking forward to see what this chassis it like. I am a complete nutter for 2WD buggies so this is right in my zone.

Roll on March!

2 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

Pre order is down and this video has whet my appetite for this RC. Never owned a RB5 so I am looking forward to see what this chassis it like. I am a complete nutter for 2WD buggies so this is right in my zone.

Roll on March!

Could't agree more. I think it's a great release. It's good for Kyosho because they've probably still got the moulds, and good for me because I love 'vintage' looking 2wd buggies. Can't wait! Even managed to snag an RB5 carbon composite chassis too...

@Kol__ you know you want one ;)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kol__ said:

New track run vid released😎

Certainly seems to handle jumps pretty well 👍

".....he eats every thing he sees, from trucks to prickly trees......"

Have a song in my head for some reason

• Haha 4