Saito2

Kyosho Ultima SB Dirt Master

26 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

".....he eats every thing he sees, from trucks to prickly trees......"

Have a song in my head for some reason

Rumour has it that the driver of the blue car in the Kyosho vid is actually this kid all grown up...

8IqEvwa.jpeg

...and that his hair is whiter than the sun... it blinded the red car driver on the penultimate corner, leading to a win for ol' Milky there. Judges still deliberating the result apparently.

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

".....he eats every thing he sees, from trucks to prickly trees......"

Have a song in my head for some reason

Didn't Cliff Richard sing that song in the advert?

18 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Didn't Cliff Richard sing that song in the advert?

Im not to sure!!!! Now that you mention it though from what I can remember of it, it could well be.

....oh no! The bridge is out!!!!........

On 1/17/2023 at 11:25 PM, Tamiyastef said:

Tempting, very tempting. 

Gave in today and pre ordered one at my LHS. No idea when It will arrive but I'm looking forward to it. Going to build it alongside my Ultima legendary rere. If I remember to take enough pictures while building and not get carried away as I usualy do during builds I'll start a duo build thread. :D 

I don't have an issue with the plastic shocks. The ones on my VXL 4X4 Stampede are plastic and work a dream and never leak, took a lot of abuse and still work a dream.

Not sure yet about the livery for this one but it won't be boxart.

As long as I can get one for £200 or less I reckon I'm in. Looks like it'll be an excellent performer!🏎️🏎️🏎️

• Like 2

5 hours ago, danimaldaisy said:

Will Tamiya respond

No they won't IMO. They could however rere the Zahhak... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

No they won't IMO. They could however rere the Zahhak... 

Now that would make my day! Always gutted is missed out getting one of these.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

If you want one there really is only one option right now.  Amain hobbies has the trf211xm for backorder.  I chatted online and the rep told me that they have zero in stock but if I place an order I should receive it in a few weeks. I placed an order.  I did see a sealed box for a trf201 on eBay however they want 1000.00 for it.  Tamiya USA told me in an email that the Zahhak and the trf201 are discontinued.  I know the price is steep but it may be the last hoorah to get a 211xm.  If the Zahhak is ever re released ill get one but i think its done for a while. I hope I'm wrong.

Tamiya is doing Tamiya with the BBX.  Tamiya hasn't invested in competitive 2wd buggies like others have.  Between the Super Astute in 1991, and the TRF201/Zahhak in 2010, Did they have anything?  I couldn't find anything that was a competition buggy; I don't think the DT-02 really counts.  Side note, it has been three weeks since this came out, and it still isn't on Kyoshoamerica.com or even Tower hobbies or Amain hobbies.  It feels weird that Tamiya released the BBX a week ago and Tamiyausa.com has acknowledged it and Tower hobbies has it available for pre-order.

1 hour ago, SlideWRX said:

Between the Super Astute in 1991, and the TRF201/Zahhak in 2010, Did they have anything? 

The Dyna Storm. I do agree Tamiya never put forth the effort in comp 2wd buggies like comp 4wd ones. They went from Super Champ to Frog to Fox and then a long break until the Astute in 2wd. Meanwhile, we saw many 4wds, and many of which were touted (at least) as top line models like the Supershot and Bigwig. The Thundershot was entered into competitions (at least Tamiya's US importer, MRC, made note of it) against contemporaries of the day. The Avante series had its legacy and they moved on to the Top Force and so on...2wds? Not so much. 

19 hours ago, Misterp180 said:

I had a chance a few years back to get a NIB one for a reasonable price but as it was intended to be a runner and I could hardly find any spare parts for it available at the time, I skipped. That's one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger for the Dirt Master now. I can see it getting a popular platform so parts should stay available for a good period of time.  

• Like 2

Here is another video of the Dirt Master in the wild

Pretty excited for this release, interestingly the YouTuber has another video (like a video blog) where he discusses an interview with Mr. Miyazaki from Kyosho's development department about the Dirt Master also there is a comparison between the Dirt Master, Genova, DT03 and a rookie frodo to be released by Yokomo 

If only my Japanese was better so I could understand what is being said.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dtn8. said:

Here is another video of the Dirt Master in the wild

Pretty excited for this release, interestingly the YouTuber has another video (like a video blog) where he discusses an interview with Mr. Miyazaki from Kyosho's development department about the Dirt Master also there is a comparison between the Dirt Master, Genova, DT03 and a rookie frodo to be released by Yokomo 

If only my Japanese was better so I could understand what is being said.

On the track, some of the cars deliberately run wide to let the Dirt Master through...

Still looks good though!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, SlideWRX said:

It is a bit bland. They went a little too 'basic' in the shape & paint it feels like.  It does look good in the promo video though.  I do think a set of KC Hiliters and a driver will help, and some brand/sponsor stickers.  If I got this, it is very likely I would find a different body to put on it, partly just because I can! :D

I agree with the basic paint job.  However imagine not following box art....not painting the trim around the windows black or on the roof and wing.  I'm thinking Tamiya PS-3 paint (or your choice of color) and only blocking out the windows with tape.  It would look good like the genova at that point when it comes to paint.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, SlideWRX said:

Side note, it has been three weeks since this came out, and it still isn't on Kyoshoamerica.com or even Tower hobbies or Amain hobbies.  It feels weird that Tamiya released the BBX a week ago and Tamiyausa.com has acknowledged it and Tower hobbies has it available for pre-order.

I feel like the same thing happened with the Optima Mid a few months ago. No word until it was on Amain and Tower. And it's been consistently in stock at Amain and Kyosho America, which could mean it's not moving as briskly as intended.

This Dirt Master will probably be my next car, and I might try fitting a spare body to my TD4.

• Like 1

Nice poster...

AWFLhNr.jpeg

Can't understand any of it😂 but it's nice seeing some more details

• Like 2

I've ordered one of these now, and taken a chance that some RB5 universals will probably fit.

Should be a nice build.

Unsure what dampers to get for it - I never rated the original RB5/ZX5 dampers so I might try some Tamiya aeration buggy dampers on it.

One concerning thing - there's a lot of self tappers shown the the dirt master manual, hopefully these won't be too difficult to retap to M3 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

dampers to get for it

The included dampers are no good?

45 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

the dirt master manual

What manual? Where manual? I wanna see it :D

• Haha 1

Thanks for the link to the "destructions" :) 

I hoped for more info on internal and final gear ratio with different pinions but no fancy spec sheet as in the Legendary series manuals :(