Saito2

Kyosho Ultima SB Dirt Master

40 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

I just realized it is $199 in US… while sand viper is $175…. 

Those are not even close to being in the same category as each other... Buy the Kyosho. 

• Like 3

The Sand Viper comes with motor and esc + oil for the shocks. Dirt Master has just bushings for the steering (no flanged bearings) no motor, no esc and no oil for the shocks...  Nevertheless, if budget allows it, buy the Kyosho :D 

• Like 3

Email just arrived to say that mines ready to collect - will pick it up tomorrow morning :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

ready to collect

Nice, any special plans for it? You know already what motor/esc you will be running?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Nice, any special plans for it? You know already what motor/esc you will be running?

Yes mate, got a brushed Kyosho G15 motor and a 1060 esc - nothing too exotic. Im quite a fan of these motors though after getting one with the Outlaw Rampage so bought a couple of extras.

• Like 2

Just got my tracking info.

I actually ordered from two different shops hoping I'd get one from the first batch, and have ended up getting them both.

So, If anyone would like one, and would be happy to cover the shipping (UK), I'm happy to sell one.

Send me a PM

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mrowka said:

I see Dirt Masters are on sale in US online retailers. 

Nothing yet in Belgium ☹

I saw yesterday that Tamico has moped the release date from May to July :(

On 5/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, Andreas W said:

I saw yesterday that Tamico has moped the release date from May to July :(

They had them in stock on april 27. But the first batch sold out quickly.

• Sad 1

Compatible RB5/6/7 hopups have started going crazy money or stock is just evaporating - so if you want bits, get them soon.

I've had to go with a new set of Xray XB2 dampers on mine - the Kyosho ones (if you can find them) are going for bonkers money.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Compatible RB5/6/7 hopups have started going crazy money or stock is just evaporating - so if you want bits, get them soon.

I've had to go with a new set of Xray XB2 dampers on mine - the Kyosho ones (if you can find them) are going for bonkers money.

I managed to get the front Kyosho dampers from rcmart but could only find the rear in stock at Amain hobbies .

Just my thoughts and absolutely nothing to back it up! but a fair few years ago a magazine company who are still in business doing subscription magazines with parts to build all manner of different products from James bonds Aston Martin to parts to eventually build the titanic did a Kyosho rc nitro rally car and all the parts were very much exactly blistered up and packaged the same way as the dirt master with no numbers on the sprue an the monthly instructions at the end looked very much like the instructions you have in the dirt master and this nitro rally car was available a few years before fully assembled! So my thoughts are is this going to be a future one of these monthly subscription builds?^_^…….like I say only my meandering thoughts:D

• Haha 1

Any guide as to which RB5/6/7 hop ups are compatible with the Dirt Master?

Anyone help with identifying these wheels:

XUGnoXa.jpg

I would really like to get some, but can't seem to find out what they are. It's a still from an official Kyosho video so I'm pretty sure they are made by Kyosho.

edit: I think the rears are W5202, but can't find the matching front that have the wheel nut recessed like the rear. 

I don't know about you guys but I think I might prefer the non obese Japanese version, I assume it improves driving capabilities significantly :D

20230511_163541.jpg            20230511_163702.jpg

• Haha 5

On 5/10/2023 at 4:59 AM, toyolien said:

Anyone help with identifying these wheels:

I would really like to get some, but can't seem to find out what they are. It's a still from an official Kyosho video so I'm pretty sure they are made by Kyosho.

edit: I think the rears are W5202, but can't find the matching front that have the wheel nut recessed like the rear. 

I feel like those are ProLine Velocity wheels. Kyosho wheels tend to have more ribs.

3 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I feel like those are ProLine Velocity wheels. Kyosho wheels tend to have more ribs.

I thought that but the prolines have big raised PL logo on them. These don't. 

image.php?filename=pl2778-04.jpg

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

I thought that but the prolines have big raised PL logo on them. These don't. 

Right? I thought the same. Maybe it was an action shot so the embossing was blurred? 

As long as the shell isn't re-painted I don't mind the basic paint job in the ads, plastic shocks are fine so long as the caps are either aluminum or durable enough to avoid popping off. What I'd like to know is how adjustable it is out of the box, the fact that it has an aluminum motor mount (as far as I can tell) is a good start. The fact that you have to supply electronics is worth if it means better equipment from the get-go.

I can't really compare this with the DT-buggies, since those are very limited in adjustments (two pinion sizes, no slipper).

On 5/10/2023 at 12:51 PM, Mrowka said:

Any guide as to which RB5/6/7 hop ups are compatible with the Dirt Master?

I've fitted the brass front suspension hanger from an RB6 (you also need the RB6 front cross member)

RB6/7 rear hubs fit (I've fitted RDRP aluminium RB7 hubs on mine)

RB6/7 front uprights fit - I've added these to mine as they have adjustable front inserts.

Arms and hingpins from any of the later cars should work (though fronts are a couple of mm different so fit in pairs).

I don't think the Dirtmaster is original RB5 - it's the SP2/WC version, but any RB5 part will fit. Though be weary of front shock towers - as early RB5 versions were not designed for the big bore dampers - though they will still fit with a couple of spacers, the original RB5 rear shock tower is also a little taller - the Dirtmaster comes with the shorter version that came as standard on the later RB5 cars.

If you race on a big track the RT5 chassis (longer) maybe a worthwhile upgrade - but you would need a different body.

Regarding bodies - Tamiya SandViper, TRF201 and a few of the JConcepts and Team Associated bodies from the B4/201/RB5 era should fit. I managed to source one of these NIP for mine: https://blog.jconcepts.net/2012/01/jconcepts-new-release-kyosho-rb-5-wc-finnisher-body/

The first thing I changed on my car after a couple of races was adding Ti turnbuckles to the rear as the stock ones bent surprisingly easily after a few races on a track with fairly large jumps. Also the rear hub bearings - Kyosho have saved some money to hit the low price point, the included bearings are not very strong at all (I distorted the inner races of them with one race meeting with no major accidents).

The metal cap for the oil filled gear diff was the last thing I ordered - Ive not fitted it yet, but the kit gear diff leaks so I'm hoping this will help a little (I've not overfilled the kit one and I sealed it with AE Green Slime - but it's still leaking) - I've heard the TA06/M07 diff would fit bit I've not tried it yet.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2023 at 12:07 AM, Kowalski86 said:

As long as the shell isn't re-painted I don't mind the basic paint job in the ads, plastic shocks are fine so long as the caps are either aluminum or durable enough to avoid popping off. What I'd like to know is how adjustable it is out of the box, the fact that it has an aluminum motor mount (as far as I can tell) is a good start. The fact that you have to supply electronics is worth if it means better equipment from the get-go.

I can't really compare this with the DT-buggies, since those are very limited in adjustments (two pinion sizes, no slipper).

You can adjust toe and camber front and rear as well as anti squat and roll centre. It's very very similar to the TRF201 and RC10B4.

As far as rear motor buggies go - it's very close to the pinical cars from that era with maybe only the RC10B5 rear motor, the TRF201XR, and the Kyosho RB6 (in rear motor) eclipsing it from a geometry PoV

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 1:35 AM, BuggyGuy said:

I've fitted the brass front suspension hanger from an RB6 (you also need the RB6 front cross member)

RB6/7 rear hubs fit (I've fitted RDRP aluminium RB7 hubs on mine)

RB6/7 front uprights fit - I've added these to mine as they have adjustable front inserts.

Arms and hingpins from any of the later cars should work (though fronts are a couple of mm different so fit in pairs).

I don't think the Dirtmaster is original RB5 - it's the SP2/WC version, but any RB5 part will fit. Though be weary of front shock towers - as early RB5 versions were not designed for the big bore dampers - though they will still fit with a couple of spacers, the original RB5 rear shock tower is also a little taller - the Dirtmaster comes with the shorter version that came as standard on the later RB5 cars.

If you race on a big track the RT5 chassis (longer) maybe a worthwhile upgrade - but you would need a different body.

Regarding bodies - Tamiya SandViper, TRF201 and a few of the JConcepts and Team Associated bodies from the B4/201/RB5 era should fit. I managed to source one of these NIP for mine: https://blog.jconcepts.net/2012/01/jconcepts-new-release-kyosho-rb-5-wc-finnisher-body/

The first thing I changed on my car after a couple of races was adding Ti turnbuckles to the rear as the stock ones bent surprisingly easily after a few races on a track with fairly large jumps. Also the rear hub bearings - Kyosho have saved some money to hit the low price point, the included bearings are not very strong at all (I distorted the inner races of them with one race meeting with no major accidents).

The metal cap for the oil filled gear diff was the last thing I ordered - Ive not fitted it yet, but the kit gear diff leaks so I'm hoping this will help a little (I've not overfilled the kit one and I sealed it with AE Green Slime - but it's still leaking) - I've heard the TA06/M07 diff would fit bit I've not tried it yet.

Hi @BuggyGuy Don't suppose you have the part numbers for the following:

- Brass front suspension hanger from an RB6

- (you also need the RB6 front cross member)

- RB6/7 rear hubs fit (I've fitted RDRP aluminium RB7 hubs on mine)

I've looked at the RB6 brass suspension mount, but am confused on which cross member I need. 

Thanks you.

@toyolien This was the brass front block I used:

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/rdrp0201-rdrp-brass-front-suspension-pivot-block-32g-ultima-rb6-p

The RB6 cross member is UM721 (JConcepts also make one in blue)

The rear hubs I fitted were these: https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/rdrp0199-rdrp-black-aluminium-rear-hub-carrier-set-ultima-rb6-p

But Kyosho themselves make some better ones such as UMW704-0 and UMW704-05 (the trailing digit indicates the amount of toe-in provided) - they are pricey, but the larger bearing they will take would be a big plus.