SuperCam

Astute 2022 - Help with parts choice (1st Build)

Hi everyone,

So I have wanted a Tamiya RC since I was a kid. The (Rich) neighbour kid had a Super Hornet and it was just amazing. My parents got me a Metro Scorcher and while I loved it to bits it was a solid chassis and I could tell it just wasn't as good as the Super Hornet.

Fast forward about 26-27 years and I have decided I have waited long enough and after lots of research I have settled on the Astute 2022 2wd as my first full build. I do not plan on racing or anything, this is just to take to the park for some fun and to take some photos of.

I like the idea of using only Tamiya parts for the build. But because of my lack of experience I am not sure if I am making a mistake or not. 

Electronics I plan to run.
TBLM-02S 10.5t Brushless Motor
TBLE-02S or TBLE-04S (I didn't think it mattered which one as neither have a Li-Po alarm which I plan on running with a 4200mah 2S)
TSU-05 Servo

Am I just being silly wanting this or should I just get better performing ESC like the Hobbywing 1060 and a better servo? Or are full Tamiya spec builds something that people appreciate?

I have genuinely tried to research and have a reasonable understanding of how everything works, but thought it best to ask some seasoned vets of the hobby for sound guidance. 

Thank you!

I think the advice would be that if you're shopping for an ESC and will run Lipos you should start out with something properly lipo compatible. And those Tamiya ones aren't very well liked anyway, I don't think. I use 10BL120 from recommendations on here.

That said, I think at least one of those does have lipo cutoff. 

• Like 1

Think you will need a fan with the TBLEs and 10.5T but @BuggyDad is right, best to just ditch it and get a proper ESC. I have TBLEs on both brushed and brushless and am impressed with neither. 

TBLE-02S or TBLE-04S aren't specced to run a 10.5T motor without an additional fan, which Tamiya no longer produce.  So you may need to re-think your power section.  Don't drop to the 15.5T motor, it's dog slow.  I'd use a Hobbywing 10BL120 ESC with the 10.5T Tamiya motor as recommended above.  You should be fine with the kit pinion which is steel and gives a gear ratio in the middle of the range for the 10.5T TBLM motor.

I'd also get the diff nut hop-up (22029), it seems to be a must-have.

For the servo, you can't use the Tamiya TSU-05 as it's full size.  You need a low profile servo in a TD2, such as the TSU-06.

If you go for all of the above, you'll be full Tamiya except for the ESC.  They don't make one that runs higher powered brushed or brushless motors, so it's the best you'll be able to do.

9 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Think you will need a fan with the TBLEs and 10.5T but @BuggyDad is right, best to just ditch it and get a proper ESC. I have TBLEs on both brushed and brushless and am impressed with neither. 

If you're going to need a fan then you might as well start with an ESC with one on it. NB my 10BL120 doesn't seem to warm up at all. 

I have one of those motors. I like that it has integrated bullet connectors for convenience. I read that it's a bit slower than the competition but I don't race, doubt I could tell. I think it's great for the £40 off PJ but I'd hesitate to recommend it if it's like £70.

• Thanks 1

This is all fantastic information, genuinely thank you for your help everyone.

I kind of was expecting people to say dump the TBLE-02S/04S as they just seem a bit average. I will look in to the 10BL120 for sure. Sounds like what I need.

I was aware about the low profile servo being needed but just got the models confused sorry. It seems like the Tamiya TSU-06 is good enough for what I want to do with it and nobody is saying don't buy them.

I was not aware about the need for 22029 Hop Up part, I will put it on the purchase list. Also knowing the stock pinion is fine is a relief as I was finding it hard to find information on it.

Thanks again everyone, this seems like a very nice community.

• Like 1

The problem is that most brushless motors have the connectors stuck out of the edge somewhere, and the TD2 chassis isn't set up for them.  See toyolien's build thread here:  https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101433-all-out-astute-2022-build/

As far as I know, the only motors with connectors on the end bell are Tamiya and Speed Passion (no longer produced).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SuperCam said:

This is all fantastic information, genuinely thank you for your help everyone.

I kind of was expecting people to say dump the TBLE-02S/04S as they just seem a bit average. I will look in to the 10BL120 for sure. Sounds like what I need.

I was aware about the low profile servo being needed but just got the models confused sorry. It seems like the Tamiya TSU-06 is good enough for what I want to do with it and nobody is saying don't buy them.

I was not aware about the need for 22029 Hop Up part, I will put it on the purchase list. Also knowing the stock pinion is fine is a relief as I was finding it hard to find information on it.

Thanks again everyone, this seems like a very nice community.

No worries  B)

I don't know about the Tamiya servos, I've never used them.  If you're happy to go non-Tamiya, the SPT 4412LV and JX PDI-4409MG are well regarded from what I can gather.  I have some of each but have not yet built the cars they were bought for!

1 hour ago, SuperCam said:

I kind of was expecting people to say dump the TBLE

If you can source your kit from a seller which will offer a discount for removing the kit ESC, go for it as you will get either the TBLEs or 1060 and while the 1060 is great, it is a brushed only one. I am not sure where you are but in the UK, FH and TTM offer cheaper kits without ESC. Then spend the saving on a better ESC.

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

JX PDI-4409MG

I second the call for the JX servo but be aware that the TBLEs will not work with it.

First video is of a TBLE-04 with a JX servo.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:41 AM, alvinlwh said:

This is correct, for the TBLE-04S you will only be able to go to TBLM-02S 15.5T (or higher like 17.5T), same with a TBLE-02S without a fan.

A 15.5T should be fast enough to have fun for a 2WD (unless you want to go racing which this car won't do well at anyway), although you may need to re-gear (change pinion) as BL and brushless don't always like the same ratios.

You can use a fan with the TBLE-02S to go to 10.5T, but the Tamiya fan (TFU-01) kit for this is discontinued (or daft prices from ebay scalpers when it comes up).

The Tamiya TBLM-02S brushless motors are very nice (but pricey) and run well with the stock ESC (assuming you get one of the main TBLE ESCs in the kit.

I run a TBLE-02S with a TBLM-02S 15.5T and it's great, plus saves just wasting the stock ESC. 

10 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

A 15.5T should be fast enough to have fun for a 2WD (unless you want to go racing which this car won't do well at anyway), although you may need to re-gear (change pinion) as BL and brushless don't always like the same ratios.

I run a TBLE-02S with a TBLM-02S 15.5T and it's great, plus saves just wasting the stock ESC. 

What car are you running that combo in, and with NiMH or LiPO?

I ran a TBLE-04S with a TBLM-02S 15.5T in a DT-03 with the 19T pinion (8.31:1 gear ratio) and it was slow, although with a long run time  I run a Sport Tuned/17T/9.28:1 now and it's much better. 

28 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

What car are you running that combo in, and with NiMH or LiPO?

I ran a TBLE-04S with a TBLM-02S 15.5T in a DT-03 with the 19T pinion (8.31:1 gear ratio) and it was slow, although with a long run time  I run a Sport Tuned/17T/9.28:1 now and it's much better. 

Egress on NiMH for that one, not a clue what pinion or ratio that is on though.  Although to be honest, I'm not aiming for smashing this thing up on a high speed run... I'd rather it be 13.5T, but sadly that's not a current Tamiya motor option.

No experience on the DT-03 itself (or TD2 itself for that matter), although was tempted to pick up a DT-03 as they are cheap as chips on Amazon, but they are limited on pinion choices (two sizes I think). If I had a DT-03 I'd probably also throw in a Sport or GT Tuned in it with the stock ESC.

TD2 though will take bigger pinions than that though (up 22 IIRC?), but not sure what that does to the ratios (or what someone else's desired top end might be), but I'd personally pinion up to make up for the difference in motor characteristics.

DT-03s are great, fun buggies.  17T or 19T pinions only which limits gearing, but Sport Tuned works well with the 17T in my experience.

TD2s can take 16-25T pinions with the ratio ranging from 11.38:1 to 7.28:1.

Tamiya recommend 8.9:1 to 11.0:1 for the 15.5T TBLM motor, which is pretty much the same kind of range as for a brushed motor.  I assume to keep heat down?  I don't know if they'd perform better with a lower ratio or whether the ESC/motor would get too hot and cause thermal shutdowns.

Back to Topic, would the carbon rear shock tower and slipper be "must have"?

I have seen photo of broken rear shock tower and I wonder if slipper is needed if I am going to run 2S with a mild brushless setup.

7 hours ago, stockae92 said:

Back to Topic, would the carbon rear shock tower and slipper be "must have"?

I have seen photo of broken rear shock tower and I wonder if slipper is needed if I am going to run 2S with a mild brushless setup.

A must have I think is the slipper clutch and the carbon rear shock tower not so much needed. 

Depends on use I guess.  For general bashing I don't think either of those are must haves with a mild brushless on 2S.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:54 AM, Twinfan said:

Depends on use I guess.  For general bashing I don't think either of those are must haves with a mild brushless on 2S.

Its just for bashing. 

thanks for the heads up. I will save my money for my next Tamiya kit then. :)

• Like 1