gkatz

how should I pick a servo - tamiya tt02b

Hi all;

what should be my criteria when choosing a servo? for a neo scorcher beginner driver that does not race :)

there are 10usd ones and 40usd ones....

hard for me to undersdtand

I currently look for metal gears and a speed as close to ~0.10s as I can get for reasonable money.  If going in a 2WD car they don't need to be super strong, 5-10kg seems to work fine for me.  In a 4WD I aim for 10kg.  Having said that, I've got a cheapo Carson CS-3 that came with my radio gear in my Lunchbox which has been heavily abused and the servo is still working great!

As mentioned on another thread, these are my current two go-to servos although I've not fitted any toa car yet.  They get great reviews and can be picked up on eBay for around £15 each and being low profile they'll fit in just about anything:

SPT 4412LV (12kg, 0.09s)

JX PDI-4409MG (9.2kg, 0.11s)

or for a regular size servo:

JX PDI-6208MG (8.2kg, 0.07s)

• Like 1

Whatever you choose, be aware that if you are using Tamiya's own TBLEs, they have a p's weak BEC putting out only 1.5A and had many reports of problems with the higher power servos, to the point of killing the BEC on the ESC. While I like JX servos, they do not work well with JX in my experience.

From another forum, a ballpark figure is 1A per 3 - 4kg and from my tests, it seem to be around that although I had a 3kg servo pulling 2.1A. 

If you are using a 1060 or proper brushless system or an UBEC, then you usually have more A to play with and can use larger servo.

• Like 2

should i be worried if the default tamiya esc outputs 6V and the servo operate between 6-7.4? i guess 6 is the common denomenator but there are servos with 4.8-6.8V operations out there - would they work better?

Given that it's 20kg, and based on Alvin's experience, that might be an issue with a Tamiya TBLE ESC.  I don't use anything that strong.

@gkatzI had a used Rally Beetle with one of those in it, it was fine enough for that role. It did cause the TBLE-2S to brown out occasionally though. Its one of the few decent off-brand servos out there, even if the "25kg" rating is slighlty exagerated.

Otherwise most of my other servos are cheap Futabas, but these are in cars like a Grasshopper and a Lunchbox, 2WD and not something that really warrants a fancy servo.

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

should i be worried if the default tamiya esc outputs 6V and the servo operate between 6-7.4? i guess 6 is the common denomenator but there are servos with 4.8-6.8V operations out there - would they work better?

Servo comes rated at 4.8v, 5v, 6v, 7.4v and 8.4v (there are others but let's not go there). Generally, using 5v or 6v will be fine unless you are using some special ESC (like my ISDT ESC70) that can be set to output at beyond 6v or an UBEC. Generally, using a 5v servo with 6v will be fine and using a 7.4v servo with 6v will make it slower and weaker than rated (some even provide numbers for both 6v and 7.4v). As long as you buy a servo that is not marked HV (or the tiny ones), you will be fine with most "standard" servos.

A side note, I tested a Surpass 15kg servo and it came in at 4.something A, so I will never use a 20kg servo.

2 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Here is a video of a 9kg JX LP servo with a TBLE. When tested, that servo draws nearly 3A, twice what the TBLEs can provide. Even a quad sized glitch blaster cannot fix it, only by using an UBEC did I make the problem go away.

To help you with identifying potential issues in the future if you go with this combo. Other possible symptoms include car moving or trying to move on neutral.

3 hours ago, gkatz said:

hard to find on amazon something else TBH...

Try an RC shop. Much better selection than Amazon, which is not a good place for RC.

the thing with amazon is that they are the only ones i can trust with shipping, shipping prices (usually zero) and no hassle returns.
of course many things could not be found there...

most hobby shop will charge 30 USD/EU even to send a sheap 9$ servo...

BTW, in my whole shopping for items, apperantly the most difficult thing to deliver overseas is the tamiya spray paints... I guess there are rules on sprays in general or somethihng :)

but back to the topic at hand...

so assuming I see the specs below for a servo 

there is a rated current of 1A and blocking current (what ever this is) of 1.8A

does this mean the servo draws 1A of the ESC (which is well which the tamiya default tt02b ESC) so thats a good servo example?

Specifications:

Type: SPT4412LV 12KG, SPT4412LV-210, SPT4412LV-320, SPT4412LV-360(optional)

Motor: Core

Voltage Range: 4.8V / 6.0V

Signal Frequency: 330HZ

PWM Voltage: 3.3V-5. 0V

Feedback Angle: no

Cycle: 20ms

Default Direction: CCW

Yes / no Lock: Lock

Quiescent Current :50mah

Rated Current :1.0A

Blocking Current : 1.8A

Weight / Dimensions: 50g / 40*20*28.3mm

Output Gear: Futaba 25T

Gear Material: All Metal Gear

Shell Material: Half Aluminum Shell

Bearing: 2BB

Connector Wire Length : 260MM

line Definition: Brown- / Red + / Orange s

Operating Speed: 4.8V/0.11″/ 60° 6.0V /0.09″/60°

Stall Torque: 4.8V/10kg.cm 6.0V/12KG.cm 

Package Included:

Digital Servo * 1

44 minutes ago, gkatz said:

the thing with amazon is that they are the only ones i can trust with shipping, shipping prices (usually zero) and no hassle returns.
of course many things could not be found there...

most hobby shop will charge 30 USD/EU even to send a sheap 9$ servo...

BTW, in my whole shopping for items, apperantly the most difficult thing to deliver overseas is the tamiya spray paints... I guess there are rules on sprays in general or somethihng :)

Where are you based? I have used Aliexpress for those servos. Have 2, and ordered a pack of 4 more recently because they come out so cheap I may as well have stock, although they do estimate about 6 weeks postage to UK. 

I don't know how fast the servos really are but they'll do me. I have yet to break one. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

I have used Aliexpress for those servos.

AE is a good source for Surpass servos although be warned, for some strange reason, their 3kg ones draw more current than their 6kg ones.

can you post a link to a aliexpress valid servo for my tt02b neoscorcher?

that would be great

thanks!

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

BTW, in my whole shopping for items, apperantly the most difficult thing to deliver overseas is the tamiya spray paints... I guess there are rules on sprays in general or somethihng

It is illegal to send spray paint (and lithium batteries) by post unless the carrier has a dangerous goods licence and this service cost a lot. UPS Flight 6 is the reason and now the international (and even domestic carriers in the UK) are rather strict on the rules.

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

there is a rated current of 1A and blocking current (what ever this is) of 1.8A

I will not believe a 12kg servo to pull 1 - 2A only. If it does, it's rating is probably over claimed.

10 minutes ago, gkatz said:

can you post a link to a aliexpress valid servo for my tt02b neoscorcher?

that would be great

thanks!

Well, the ones I ordered are low profile but, to my (limited) knowledge I think they should be fine in that. I'm using one in something very similar. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN7xfvk

It might be prudent to wait for others to confirm this is right and not dodgy for you - I haven't received them yet, although I haven't myself had an problems with aliexpress either. 

I have followed advice on here to aim for around 10kg and a speed of about 0.1 secs. This one is near enough that. 

• Like 2

thanks for all the info

I have recently posted many question (and probably will have some more)

I think I will eventually post a summary of what I bought based on this forum's reccomendations and my research

it will be good for others like me navigating this waters - i can tell you that it was a lot easier 35 years ago :) - i simply went into the biggest toy shop (Hamleys in london on a family trip there) - took a new tamiya thundershot, a 8.4 nimh, a technigold motor, a 2 channel futaba with servo all over the counter. :D - there werent 50 types of servos, motors, transmitters, recievers, etc to choose from

14 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Well, the ones I ordered are low profile but, to my (limited) knowledge I think they should be fine in that. I'm using one in something very similar. 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN7xfvk

It might be prudent to wait for others to confirm this is right and not dodgy for you - I haven't received them yet, although I haven't myself had an problems with aliexpress either. 

I have followed advice on here to aim for around 10kg and a speed of about 0.1 secs. This one is near enough that. 

Yep they're the right ones, I have loads of them. And the .10secs and 10kg is a good starting point.

Also, I run them with TBLE-02S ESC and they're fine. Servos are always rated based on volts, not amps. I don't think they draw many amps as I haven't had issues. I have run Savox (known for high current draw) on TBLE-02S and they worked fine. I suspect current draw may go up when the servo is working harder such as binding in the steering, but don't know for sure. Motors get faster with volts not amps too (simplistic, but 3s is faster than 2s etc), although I have experienced when a battery can't supply the power a motor wants too and that is down to amps (NiMH vs lipo)

However, I have loads of TBLE-02S ESC and the early ones were great and still work, but a whole lot of newer ones have failed. The BEC is what fails in them, and an external BEC isn't worth the money for one of these. I suspect that some newer members experience with them is that the QC is awful and they're bad ESC rather than the specs aren't up to running some servos. I have one from 2017 which is in my sons TT02 racer with the SPT 4412LV and its fine. The esx that came with the car is long gone, but because of class rules it has to be a Tamiya esc so I put an old one in and 3 years later its still going.

As for the original question, what Twinfan said sounds right to me, and the SPT 4412LV is my goto for fun cars. Race cars are another story...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1