Saito2

Why should I consider a CC02?

I'm just vaguely considering the idea of getting a trail truck at the moment. I wasn't a CC01 fan and wasn't crazy about driving my Bruiser re-re. I also tried the CR01. My High-Lift, I actually liked, but sold it to fund the Bruiser. D'oh! Of course I immediately think of the CC02. Its Tamiya and its a new chassis I've never built. Being pragmatic about it though, why on earth wouldn't I go for the TRX-4 Sport kit? By the time I get a bearing set for the CC02, I'd be right in TRX-4 Sport territory. Casual glances around the web yield it to be not only good but most likely superior to the CC02. So without the "Tamiya-blinders" on, what does the CC02 tangibly offer over the TRX-4 Sport besides a licensed body?

Been thinking about this myself lately after seeing @Frog Jumper's fantastic CC02 Blackfoot, and the only things I can come up with are "wheelbase" and "scale". I don't like how huge the Traxxas stuff has gotten, it's basically 1/8 territory these days. It's no wonder the TRX4 is considered more capable, as it's quite a bit larger than CC02 which allows it to clear bigger obstacles. I think I'd need something with a short wheelbase because I like Tamiya bodies, and they are all short.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

what does the CC02 tangibly offer over the TRX-4 Sport besides a licensed body?

For me, it was that I could use my BF bodies.  It will also fit the Tamiya Jeep body if I ever go that route.

And building appeals to me more than driving so while it’s a no-brainer to get a Trashax, I liked the idea of modding the CC02 to make it better.

Terry

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

And building appeals to me more than driving so while it’s a no-brainer to get a Trashax, I liked the idea of modding the CC02 to make it better.

Same here. People have commented that the TRX4 is a nice build too, but the CC02's deficits probably invite more modding. While Traxxas designs can be great, the company's practices, as we all know, are abhorrent. It makes it very very tough for me to buy a new product from them (my few Traaaaxxas (tm) vehicles have been used). I wish Tamiya prices hadn't shot up between the intro of the initial G500 (a body I cared little for) and the subsequent versions with more interesting bodies. It put its price point (with added bearings) above that of the TRX Sport in some cases. Its tough to go Tamiya sometimes. 

Quite amusing reading this @Saito2 as you seem to be in exactly the same place as me with that.

I posted very similar yesterday on another thread - 

Out of interest what were your thoughts on the CR-01?  Can't help but being drawn to them just for the slightly unusual build.

• Like 2

I have just built a TRX4 builders kit. The actual build of this is similar to the Sport though it has more bells and whistles. It is a very satisfying build, great plastic, hex hardware, portal axles and excellent instructions. The end result with its diffs locked and in high gear again is similar to the Sport. It’s very capable on the trails . I also have built both CC01 and CC02. Of the two the 02 is a better build, though a bit fiddly in places, and definitely a better trail truck.  Not sure about prices for each at the moment but although the TRX Sport has bearings it doesn’t come with a motor I believe so that cost must be added on. The upside of the CC02 is the bodyshells that can be used including the Wrangler ( with a bit of body post engineering) but that is also its downside as it limits you to Tamiya bodies, even in its long wheelbase guise. The TRX is standard 313mm w/b so there is a whole raft of aftermarket bodies available. I have to say I like all three of them for different reasons. That probably doesn’t help you decide but that’s why I’ve ended up with all three. If scale is your biggest ✔️then I’d go for a CC02 Landrover but if ultimate crawling is your aim then go for the TRX sport.

• Like 1

One of the things that made me say wow that’s neat was how the wheelbase can be easily adjusted on the CC02.  And with longer links, I can imagine someone modding the CC02 to be LWB.

• Like 1

New 1.9 SSD slots and Pitbull Rock Beasts.  Just installed 12mm long brass hex extensions in place of the 6mm brass I had in there before.  Still tweaking the Desert Lizards, but playing with them makes me realize just how good tamiya shocks can be…

https://i.imgur.com/WdXSg2g.jpg

That’s a helluva dilemma. Despite Traxxas being Traxxas, their electronics are horrible.  Factor in the cost of real servos, it’ll be unjustifiable.

Though I have little experience with the CC02, the greatest drawback I hear about is the abundance of speed.  It needs an ESC with low speed fidelity and some low gears.  I’ve found that tiny crawlers roll quickly.  Perhaps it’s my old eyeballs and aging reflexes, but they go from creeping up an obstacle to tumbling before I can register what just happened.  Big crawlers tip in slow motion.  Good for aging eyes and reflexes.  Low speed throttle fidelity helps.  Regardless, I feel the allure of the CC02 as well.

If you’re open to suggestions, Element Enduros are excellent.  Buttery smooth drivetrain, plush suspension, good COG from the factory, lots of aftermarket….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

That’s a helluva dilemma. Despite Traxxas being Traxxas, their electronics are horrible.  Factor in the cost of real servos, it’ll be unjustifiable.

Though I have little experience with the CC02, the greatest drawback I hear about is the abundance of speed.  It needs an ESC with low speed fidelity and some low gears.  

To be fair, the CC-02 has low and high gear options out of the box (swap two cogs around), and suits something like that CR Tuned motor (35T).

Traxxas electrics may be pants, but you don't always need them. TRX-4 sport kit is about £325. Which is the dilemma here, even a 'cheap' painted Discovery CC-02 costs about £220 before you start to put bearings in it and other mild hop ups. The element mentioned too is close here in price too.

All are very different cars mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fish Slice said:

Out of interest what were your thoughts on the CR-01?  Can't help but being drawn to them just for the slightly unusual build

Very "busy" build experience and one you have to pay close attention to while going through the manual. So many holes and adjustments, lol. The center planetary gearbox is quite silent. The CR01, while a dated crawler, would be perfect for walking trails, but I found it boring in most other uses. I'm very much a vintage buggy/truck guy and 12-25 mph is my happy speed range for usual running (not necessarily trails). I wound up selling it on.

The CC01, which folks raved about, seemed very limited in what it could do. It got stuck or hung up all the time and couldn't keep up on some of the rugged trails around my home. I worry the CC02, while better, may still suffer from this based on its size alone, for which the TRX4, with its portals and larger size have it beat. 

If Traxxas wasn't evil, I probably wouldn't have needed asked this question honestly. The TRX4 Sport kit is $300 from Traxxas and doesn't have the usual questionable electronics, i.e. servos (I have plenty on hand) but does have full bearings. Tower sells the CC02 in the bodies I want from $294-$314 and a bearing kit's another $25 on top of that. That's hard to swallow, no matter how evil Traxxas is. Although, TBH, I would feel like poor ambassador to the hobby if I was caught out and questioned about RC while wheelin' a Traxxas vehicle. 

Perhaps I should look at Axial or Element but that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole. I also like how Tamiya and Traxxas stuff stays around unchanged whereas I'm not sure how often Axial and Associated/Element do model change-overs.

I like the idea of the CC02. Basically at this point I'm just waiting for Tamiya to offer it with the Jeep hard body, and then I'll probably pull the trigger.

The TRX4 is by all accounts a great performer, but as others have said, get the sport kit and supply your own electronics. I do understand and share your concerns with Traxxas as a company, though.

I don't know anything about Element, other than what I know of modern Associated/Thunder Tiger quality, which is generally good. I'm upset that they tend to discontinue things quickly (that IFS conversion was available for, what, a week?) and that 1:1 gearing (no overdrive on the front axle) is an extra-cost option.

Axial is still the gold standard for trail trucks, and the builder's kit is a bargain. It includes links for 3 common wheelbases (none as short as Tamiya bodies, except a Bruiser or High Lift) full bearings, and lots of extra doodads for configuring the truck how you want it. And most Axial stuff is backwards compatible with their earlier models. But of course you do need to supply your own body, wheels, and tires.

I've heard good words about MST and Gmade kits, as well, just to confuse your further...

• Like 1

TRX4 was an eye opener for me. Such a nice drive and no need to hop-up or mod out the box.

Tamiya do a lot of things right but the scale crawler market is just not one.

• Like 1

We went for Element Enduro. It's a little agricultural but quality materials, good shocks and I had some good experience of Associated. And it's at the lower cost end of comparable stuff. Traxxas would interest me though for its 2 speed and diff options. I don't see us upgrading but our use case would benefit from that stuff. And the TRX4 shell we have is good. 

• Like 1

I made the mistake of checking out Element and Axial offering. The SCX10 2 builders kit is a pretty good deal, but then I looked at the SCX10 3 kit with its 2 speed transmission with front Dig and portal axles. My old Bruiser's 4 channel radio is still sitting on the bench...hmmm. Its $350 so I'd definitely have to sell some things on to cover it, but man its tempting. There is so much good stuff outside of Tamiya now in the market.

I'd go with an Axial, Traxxas, or Element kit if this will be your only trail truck.  Don't have a CC02 but do have an MST CFX (which is similar, and probably better, than a CC02) and its a cool little truck at times, but the bigger trucks are a lot more capable and more fun.  If I had to choose that would be the first to go.  If I could really only have one crawler/trail truck it's probably be the TRX-4 full kit with 2 speed & locking diffs. 

I still have your CR-01 by the way, actually cut and trimmed a new body for it last night!  That will be its third body, I run that truck a lot and tear of a lot of bodies on the trail/rocks.  Truck has been bullet proof though, have only twisted on driveshaft and that's it.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Don't have a CC02 but do have an MST CFX (which is similar, and probably better, than a CC02) and its a cool little truck at times, but the bigger trucks are a lot more capable and more fun.  If I had to choose that would be the first to go.  If I could really only have one crawler/trail truck it's probably be the TRX-4 full kit with 2 speed & locking diffs.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I know my CC01 was too small to be capable for me. The SCX10 3 kit with 2 speed/Dig capable tranny was sort of my thought for a non-Traxxas rig with some bells and whistles. Sad thing is, the TRX4 still edges it out in some respects. I guess evil companies do hire good engineers.

Realistically, the SCX10 2 kit would probably be enough and I already have wheels/tires laying around so I could keep the project cheap.

I was thinking about my old CR01 along with my old High Lift. Glad you're still enjoying it!

2 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I know my CC01 was too small to be capable for me. The SCX10 3 kit with 2 speed/Dig capable tranny was sort of my thought for a non-Traxxas rig with some bells and whistles. Sad thing is, the TRX4 still edges it out in some respects. I guess evil companies do hire good engineers.

Realistically, the SCX10 2 kit would probably be enough and I already have wheels/tires laying around so I could keep the project cheap.

I was thinking about my old CR01 along with my old High Lift. Glad you're still enjoying it!

Yes, I love the CR-01!  Currently have SMT10 wheels/tires on it and doing a 1984 Ford body.  It originally had a Proline 72 C10, then a Proline Blazer, now it will be a Ford.  

I have the SCX10.2 kit and its a very capable crawler and great trail truck, especially for the price.  Dad has the SCX10.3 and a TRX-4 and its pretty much a toss-up with maybe a slight edge to the TRX.  I prefer Axial to Traxxas just because I have so many parts lying around, but couldnt go wrong with either.  

• Like 1