Scammers on Tamiya Club

OK, not a post I really wanted to make. But I have had three people in the last few weeks offer me the cars/ parts I have been searching for and posted about in the sales pages.

All three individuals had joined the Club within hours of sending the contact message and had no feedback/ rating or posts. None of them posted on the original message, they all sent direct pm's.

I'm hoping it's coincedence and if those individuals would like to prove me wrong that's fine. 

Anyone else have the same experience?

A few times

I don't know how to upload a link to my scammer thread but it seems to happen fairly frequently.

• Like 1

I just saw you put @Hairyjon313's name on your scammer thread @svenb, and I was like "Oh no! Hairyjon's a frickin' scammer!?"😱

...then I saw this thread 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I just saw you put @Hairyjon313's name on your scammer thread @svenb, and I was like "Oh no! Hairyjon's a frickin' scammer!?"😱

...then I saw this thread 😂

No mate he's not , just a clumsy link to my thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I got pinged for a scam last night - I don't like to cast aspersions, but a new member joined yesterday, introduced themselves in the forum in what looked like an odd way, and messaged me saying someone on here had an item I'm after but he couldn't remember the TC name, so provided an email address for me to contact. It just seemed along the same lines as others before, so I ignored it. Best advice as ever is only to deal with established TCers.

• Like 3

If a scammer ever sends you a picture of the item, chances arew they took the pic from online somewhere - copy the picture url (Right click, copy image link) and paste it here https://tineye.com/  that will reverse image search it and show you if the picture is an original or just a random pic from the internet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, futureworks said:

I think I got pinged for a scam last night - I don't like to cast aspersions, but a new member joined yesterday, introduced themselves in the forum in what looked like an odd way, and messaged me saying someone on here had an item I'm after but he couldn't remember the TC name, so provided an email address for me to contact. It just seemed along the same lines as others before, so I ignored it. Best advice as ever is only to deal with established TCers.

I had exactly the same yesterday.

I was going to add, there's was a thread a few weeks ago, turned out, it was June! 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, futureworks said:

Mine was from:

I thought it was odd wording too

1 hour ago, futureworks said:

, mine was from:

18 hours ago, carols04 said:

i'm new here from south carolina welcome me please

Oooh sexy Carol, did we get her number?🍆

• Haha 4

It's a shame it's necessary but I always look at the profile of someone contacting me through TC nowadays. Newbie with 0 posts don't get an answer from me :(. There is a thread somewhere to name scammers but I can't remember where.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

There is a thread somewhere to name scammers but I can't remember where.

It's actually a whole sub-forum, right at the bottom of the list of other sub-forums (fora? 🤔). Hasn't been active in over 3 years though and I think it was aimed more towards ebayers and the like, rather than the weeds that grow in our midst.

Becoming an increasing sad fact of life. There have always been people trying to rip you off, but this is somehow more insidious. A disparate, but relatively trusting and close community that the unscrupulous will try to fleece. Not cool. Not cool at all. ☹

• Like 2

Guys, carols04 has been flagged. Please check user's forum activity before entertaining any offers. This guy's 1st post was hilarious because he demanded to be welcomed. It was either poor English grammar or not a native speaker. Either way, they claimed to be from South Carolina but with a UAE ip address. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a message from a new member called SonnyStitt, offering me a body set that i had advertised for in December.

They told me they were in texas and would send everything for $60, all i had to do was transfer the money.

They were a new member and it was their first message on TC.

Be vigilant people.

J

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

dont buy nothing from forums now....you never know whos whos anymore....been scammed in the past but got money back £700 quid is a lot to lose....once bitten`twice shy...........forums are info only now

1 hour ago, tam-trucks said:

dont buy nothing from forums now....you never know whos whos anymore....been scammed in the past but got money back £700 quid is a lot to lose....once bitten`twice shy...........forums are info only now

They don't have to be! I've had loads of successful trades on here but saying that £700 would make me think twice 😲

• Like 1

so glad i had buyer protection,just the waiting time for the refund to ages 6weeks.......forums are still info base to me.....SIGN OF THE TIMES....watch out everyone

4 hours ago, svenb said:

They don't have to be! I've had loads of successful trades on here but saying that £700 would make me think twice 😲

Me too, just not a problem as long as you stick to trading only with established members, and a much valued part of my experience on the forum over the last 15+ years!

I've also started added a line (see in brackets below) to my trade wanted ads in a bid to discourage scammers :-)

"

• Like 4