Kol__

Is this Lipo charger any good?

Hi guys, I picked this up in a job lot of stuff a while back. Not sure if it's a good charger or how old it is and can't find any info on it on the web. I know next to nothing about lipos or chargers, but I'm thinking about going lipo in the near future. Any thoughts on if this is a good enough charger to get me started? Cheers

RYjct7L.jpeg

HpAAjGd.jpeg

XBC9Bv2.jpeg

uNGwA2W.jpeg

5VvZ3QY.jpeg

Looks adequate to get started.

Power it up and see what menus/functions are available.

• Like 1

As I recall, RC System was an "own brand" for Amerang, a UK distributor who must have gone bust 10 years ago. So it is quite old.

Probably a rebranded generic AC/DC 4-button charger from the era. These chargers have always seemed to work fine. I'd just power it up and try it.

• Like 3

@Kol__ Since you already have it, I'd just try it out.   I am sure it can do NiMH and NiCd if you want to just run through the menu and try charging those chemistries.  

What I noticed on my chargers from 10 yrs ago vs my modern Passport P2  is that the newer charger can peak charge better (seems higher resolution and finer tuning before it finishes the charge), have more options to program a charge (and even make QR labels to scan/start next time, etc).  The P2 is just a mid-grade charger, but even so the charge quality and consistency is quite good.

With care LiPo can last a decade no problem (I speak from experience) so if you're going to start with the intention to migrate over to Lipo, I'd recommend getting a nice competiton LiPo and a good modern charger and use it for a long time.  Like most folks washing a car ending up with swirls, it's usually the user and tools that prematurely wears out the cells (all chemistries).  GL!!  B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1