Sayer

Tamiya TMT-1 (210mm wheelbase juggernaut build)

It's been a while since I last posted, but I'm back with some Juggernaut/TXT-1 based nonsense again.

A while back, I mocked up some spares I had left over from other projects and realized a 210mm wheelbase Jugg based monster could work. 

RhinoRender.jpg

FirstChassisShot.jpg

• Like 7

Used my old link creation trick. Threaded rod, aluminmum tubing and metal rod ends that are small enough for the ends to fit into the tubing.

PXL_20230116_220051385.jpg

• Like 8

I like that a lot!  What scale is the body?

It reminds me a little of the early days of 1:1 monster trucks, when all sorts of crazy trucks appeared, like Bigfoot 5 with the 10 foot tyres

7 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I like that a lot!  What scale is the body?

It reminds me a little of the early days of 1:1 monster trucks, when all sorts of crazy trucks appeared, like Bigfoot 5 with the 10 foot tyres

Lol thanks! It's an ABC Hobby Datsun Sunny pickup, intended for M chassis cars. It'll  fit on anything that doesn't require a lot of front-end clearance and has a 210mm wheelbase.

Yea, definitely reminds me of some of the old stage 1 monsters with short wheelbases where the tires looked like they were going to hit when steering.  Pretty cool.  Nice work getting it together. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Yea, definitely reminds me of some of the old stage 1 monsters with short wheelbases where the tires looked like they were going to hit when steering.  Pretty cool.  Nice work getting it together. 

We're sort of at the ragged edge of shortening before things start binding (also before they don't sell prop shafts short enough) 

2 hours ago, Sayer said:

We're sort of at the ragged edge of shortening before things start binding (also before they don't sell prop shafts short enough) 

Yea, I think you nailed the look.  Tires look like they'll hit when all wheels steer, but they just miss each other - just like the real thing.

Because it's a "Sunny" Pickup, get it?

The "On my way up" is my riff on Tamiya's "Anytime Baby" or "Way Out Running" but also, it's from a song called "This is the best" by USS. The full line is:

"On my way up, wish me good luck
Mission control, I'm crushin' like a monster truck"

image.png.fd1afa4906c7b01930fb52d6893a680d.png

• Like 3

Looks fantastic and can't wait to see more!

EDIT: Very cool decal design, "on my way up" feels like a perfect 80's fit!

I spotted the 210mm wheelbase Jugg chassis rails on the Shapeways marketplace. Now I know what they are for :D Cool!

On 1/26/2023 at 6:35 AM, Tizer said:

I spotted the 210mm wheelbase Jugg chassis rails on the Shapeways marketplace. Now I know what they are for :D Cool!

Lol thanks, I only put them up because I was getting some interest from a facebook group. Didn't expect any uptake though since you also have to get aluminum cut from custom .dxf files to be able to make any use of them.

Update(s) below. For whatever reason, I always go with these HPI brushless systems in my Jugg based builds. Still waiting for reprints of that top deck to come in, but pleased with how the planed opening for the wires turned out.

MotorInstalled.jpg

Rubbishtopdeck.jpg

• Like 4

Coming soon; a more TXT inspired version for the m chassis medium wheelbase

• Like 2

That yellow monster is ridiculous and crazy in the best way possible! Would love to see more pictures.

Oh, and looking forward to your next project!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 11:10 PM, GeeWings said:

That yellow monster is ridiculous and crazy in the best way possible! Would love to see more pictures.

Oh, and looking forward to your next project!

Thanks!
Here's a few more pics (trimmed the decals) and the start of the new chassis layout.

FrontView.jpg

SideView.jpg

TopDown.jpg

Layout.jpg

• Like 5

Finally some updates. I decided to abandon the cantilever design because it's fiddly and because I prefer the multi-shock look on my monster trucks. Really wish Tamiya had done more parts bin specials with the Jugg/TXT platform.

image.png.85b426543371dff9fb98d80a205a717f.png

• Like 2

Quite new to forum, had never seen such a nice project, based on such nice axles... Congrats for the idea & what you made so far! ;)

Do you plan to install the steering servos behind the axles?
Future side panels will sure look better than the stock ones from the Jugg, cool design! :)

• Like 1

The plan for the first one was to only have front steer and fab up an "in front of the axle" solution since there isn't much room for the standard BTA setup. For the second one, I'm just gonna use the stock TXT setup, since I have everything already. 

Still dithering on whether I want to stay with the original mwb plan for the new truck or just make another swb monster with the spare sunny body I have. I would only need to modify the plastic rails and put a few more holes in the aluminum plates as planned. Maybe even a Vorza brushless system as a tribute to @MadInventor who started me down this path in the first place.

• Like 2