bRIBEGuy

A Trip to the LHS...

On 1/28/2023 at 3:59 AM, tim.senecal said:

Here in the states it considered fraud if you charge different than the posted price. (ie, the OPs sticker)  If they are using a computerized system, the stock would need to be removed from the shelf until the new price is affixed.  I got a full refund for a meal at a restaurant because what was on the register receipt was not what was on the menu, and i brought that fact to the attention of the restaurant owner.

Does that work in reverse? What happens if the receipt price is lower than the sticker price?

18 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Does that work in reverse? What happens if the receipt price is lower than the sticker price?

Say nothing!

In the UK the law is fairly the same, it’s ticket price regardless of mistake. How well that stands up IRL is questionable but those are your rights. I learned that when I did a temporary contract at the Co-Op supermarket 15 years ago. I’d assume it’ll be much the same now. 

8 minutes ago, ad456 said:

Say nothing!

In the UK the law is fairly the same, it’s ticket price regardless of mistake. How well that stands up IRL is questionable but those are your rights. I learned that when I did a temporary contract at the Co-Op supermarket 15 years ago. I’d assume it’ll be much the same now. 

I don't this is quite true?

I think if they put a price that is too low, they can choose not to sell at all because it was a mistake.

• Thanks 1

I’m sure that’s what they said but I’ve now looked it up and here’s the current law according to Citizens Advice 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-something-is-advertised-at-the-wrong-price/

Buying in a shop

Your legal rights in a shop will depend on whether you’ve paid for the item yet or not.

If you haven’t bought it yet

If you take an item to the till and are told the price on the tag or label is a mistake, you don’t have a right to buy the item at the lower price. You could still try asking the seller to honour the price.

It’s the same if you see an item advertised anywhere for a lower price than the one on the price tag.

If you’ve already bought it

If the shop sold you an item at a lower cost than they meant to, you don’t have to give it back - they’re only legally entitled to ask you for more money if you’d talked about the price (eg £100) and they ended up charging you much less instead (eg £10).

If you realise you’ve paid more for an item than it was advertised for at the time, ask for the shop to refund the difference between what you paid and what was advertised.

Keep any evidence of the mistake, if you can - for example, you could take a photo of the advert in the shop window.

I think in the UK the ticket price is the "offer to sell" price or something like that in legal jargon.  When you get to the till, if the cashier notices there's a mistake or the computer system says the price is higher, then they don't have to sell you it at the ticket price.  They "offer" you the correct higher price and you can either pay it or refuse and leave it.

If you get home and realise you've been wrongly charged too much, then you'd need to go back to the shop and complain.  They may just offer to refund you the whole amount and take the item back rather than sell it at a discounted price.

4 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I think in the UK the ticket price is the "offer to sell" price or something like that in legal jargon.

IIRC from my contract law lessons, it is "offer to negotiate", meaning you can speak to the shop owner/manager for a lower price. One example is I once was in PCWorld and saw a product with an opened/damaged box, asked the manager for a discount and got it. By taking it to the tills and paying, I accepted the offer.

(Note: my law classes was 2 decades ago, I cannot say I remembered correctly or not. Also, I was studying Scots law, may or may not be applicable for whole UK)

On 1/31/2023 at 6:55 AM, Elbowloh said:

I don't this is quite true?

I think if they put a price that is too low, they can choose not to sell at all because it was a mistake.

It is up to the particular establishment, but taking "down" an object that is incorrectly priced is certainly one option.   another option i noticed at a place i no longer shop was to place no pricetag on the item, nor on the shelf where the item sat.  there were barcode readers located in the store where you could scan the item to see what its current price was.  they could change the price anytime the wanted to.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:54 AM, alvinlwh said:

IIRC from my contract law lessons, it is "offer to negotiate", meaning you can speak to the shop owner/manager for a lower price. One example is I once was in PCWorld and saw a product with an opened/damaged box, asked the manager for a discount and got it. By taking it to the tills and paying, I accepted the offer.

(Note: my law classes was 2 decades ago, I cannot say I remembered correctly or not. Also, I was studying Scots law, may or may not be applicable for whole UK)

Several of the stores where i currenlty shop very proudly display signs that they will price match any "reputable" lower price.