gkatz

my purchasing decisions for first car in many years

Hi all

I have just recently decided it would be good fun to return to this Hobby (35 years later) and see if its still is for me. Back in the day I had a Tamiya Fox and later a thundershot (the year of the OG release)

needless to say the amount of data i had to collect to start filling the gap was overwhelming, I got a little lost, but fortunatly, there are places like this forum and also my best friend youtube was a great help...

so what was my criteria:

• easy on the pocket: i had to buy everything from scratch: car, battery, charger, etc. all should fit in a relatively tight budget.
  • a decent car: while budget is king, i didnt want anything that will make me unhappy with the purchase
  • upgradable: I wanted to have the ability to upgrade the car if needed (parts, engine, gears) so community and part availability was important
  • building it: I want to remind myself of the build experience inc. painting.
  • easy operation: I want the car to work for me and not the other way around

to keep things short, I went for a neo schorcher, but actually, I went for a TT02B based car (could have been another TT02B car). it seemed like it answered all of my criteria. (BTW, I had no idea what a TT02B was 2 weeks ago)

for those who want to see the list of things I purchased with prices along with the kit here is a more detailed list:

Grand Total: just about 300 USD which is something I could commit to in order to see if this hobby can re-grow on me...

of course I can explain my rational for each of the items, but mostly, they simply fit my needs at this point in time...

NOTE that the items are on their way, so nothing was delivered at this point and I cannot vouch for their quality...

if you made it till here - then this post was of interest to you :)

thanks for reading.

[update] forgot about the tamiya white & metalic blue paint jars I also purchased for 5$ each - yes I am going to paint using a brush (with my kids)

• Like 4

TT02B is a great car.  I have the metallic pink NeoScorcher.  B)  Nice hunting.  

• Like 2

Brush paint? Didn't think there were any tamiya brush paints for lexan any more.

Are they just the tamiya acrylics? They may not work well on lexan.

• Like 1

Keep the paint jars, but you’ll need to buy PS (polycarbonate) paint (now only available in spray cans) to use on the clear lexan body.  The TS acrylic paint will chip and peel.

• Like 4

Good choice.  I've been meaning to get a TT-02B one of these days, seems like a nice simple chassis.  

• Like 1

Tt02b is very fun car. Although if you went with plasma edge2, you could have saved about $30. 

• Like 1

After a break since the nineties i also went for a TT02B last year, Plasma Edge 2, found it to be easy to build and drive but lacking in ground clearance, improved with some cheap'n'easy mods, also put a Sand Scorcher shell on it.

Ive since rebuilt it to have shorter arms so now its sort of a bostardized rally variant.

I haven't started my TT-02 yet but I love the concept that so wide a variety of variants can be built (and have been sold) on the same fairly basic platform, and that is part of what interests me about it. 

Anyone got a full line up of base, S, rally, buggy and truck? 

Presumably wouldn't take much to truggy the buggy either. 

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Presumably wouldn't take much to truggy the buggy either. 

Just mix bits of the TT-02T Sandshaker with one of the buggys and you'll have aomething close.

Im a bit perplexed as to why Tamiya canned the Sandshaker, unless if it just didn't sell well on their home market.

38 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Just mix bits of the TT-02T Sandshaker with one of the buggys and you'll have aomething close.

Im a bit perplexed as to why Tamiya canned the Sandshaker, unless if it just didn't sell well on their home market.

+1

as for the paint comments: these are what i bought: https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Models-Acrylic-Paint-Metallic/dp/B0099WPTEM

even though i didnt think they will not suit lexar i am fine with the notion that it can peel - for me it will be another chance to repaint with the kids :)

thanks for the info.

I also noticed I had a mistake in one of the lines (fixed it now). due to the fact the items are only on their way of course I cannot vouch for anything (the cannot was missing).

for example, the bearings from ali express were in super low cost. also, many items have the TT02B on the title but inside if you watch the package contents you see its the wrong sise brearings... it took some time to get the sizes from the web and crosscheck it with the AE package conteints.

another example is the DumboRC reciever/transmitter. at first I aimed higher but I had to remind myself that I need to pace. I gathered all info I can get online about it and for the price it seemed like an awsome deal (the biggest drawback was that is a one car onl.;y support)

so like I mentioned, I can explain each item decision but its mostly what fits my specific needs at this time and I do believe there are other like me with the same ideas and budgets so now they can also learn from my experience...

I will update this thread once I get everything

14 hours ago, gkatz said:

I have that same servo, a number of them in fact and had tested them. They draw 2.1 - 2.4A. if you are using the standard TBLEs, they only provide 1.5A. Consider using a 1060 ESC instead.

And you are not using a servo saver? Ok if you are sure about that.

If you want to brush paint, using some "real/pure" acrylic like Mig or Vallejo. They work better on PC than Tamiya's acrylic.

Welcome back to the hobby @gkatz. Regarding the hand painting, there is a thread and video in this forum about using the correct paints (which come in spray cans) and how to decant them into pots for hand painting.

40 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Welcome back to the hobby @gkatz. Regarding the hand painting, there is a thread and video in this forum about using the correct paints (which come in spray cans) and how to decant them into pots for hand painting.

You wouldn't have a link by any chance?

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I have that same servo, a number of them in fact and had tested them. They draw 2.1 - 2.4A. if you are using the standard TBLEs, they only provide 1.5A. Consider using a 1060 ESC instead.

And you are not using a servo saver? Ok if you are sure about that.

If you want to brush paint, using some "real/pure" acrylic like Mig or Vallejo. They work better on PC than Tamiya's acrylic.

crap

what alternative would you reccomend?

25 minutes ago, gkatz said:

crap

what alternative would you reccomend?

You could change either servo or esc.

Changing the esc is more expensive but the TBLEs are a bit unloved, so arguably there's a benefit to that. But then they do do brushed and brushless so you retain that choice (and you said you want future upgradeability). 1060 is brushed only. I use 10BL120, which is a fairly stock answer if you go sensored brushless and want decent but budget stuff, but it won't do brushed.

If you want to change the servo there are some recent threads on budget servos:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/102874-budget-amazon-servo/

(although one of those is yours!) 

I use SPT4412 servos which are pretty cheap, fast and reliable and are often recommended by others here. Check they don't have the same issue, but I don't think they do. 

3 hours ago, Gebbly said:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100302-decanting-spray-paint/&do=findComment&comment=891633

Note the warning about doing the decanting outdoors or in a well ventilated area because of the fumes.

I'd do the spraying outdoors too, I tried painting in my garage (with the door open) and the fumes still crept into the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'd do the spraying outdoors too, I tried painting in my garage (with the door open) and the fumes still crept into the house.

the thing is - i dont get the spray paints in my country because we cant import spray paints - its a regulation thing.

the local tamiya market is ultra small and the paints there are only the acrylic ones... 

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

You could change either servo or esc.

Changing the esc is more expensive but the TBLEs are a bit unloved, so arguably there's a benefit to that. But then they do do brushed and brushless so you retain that choice (and you said you want future upgradeability). 1060 is brushed only. I use 10BL120, which is a fairly stock answer if you go sensored brushless and want decent but budget stuff, but it won't do brushed.

If you want to change the servo there are some recent threads on budget servos:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/102874-budget-amazon-servo/

(although one of those is yours!) 

I use SPT4412 servos which are pretty cheap, fast and reliable and are often recommended by others here. Check they don't have the same issue, but I don't think they do. 

in case things go south with the servo I bought whats the outcome? the esc will over heat and get smoked? maybe I can try it and see :)

4 minutes ago, gkatz said:

in case things go south with the servo I bought whats the outcome? the esc will over heat and get smoked? maybe I can try it and see :)

In my experience that ESC would have "brown outs", it didn't over heat or anything. It would just make the servo randomly turn on its own will.

for what its worth you can put a capacitor on the battery channel of receivers and it helps the power spikes from the servo causing brown outs. 

something like this can solve those problems and has worked for me before when i was using power hungry savox servos. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132915229988

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

Strange things can happen.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gkatz said:

i dont get the spray paints in my country because we cant import spray paints - its a regulation thing

I have the same problem as I live in a remote island. Best solution for you is to use one of the "real" acrylic paint then, and airbrush it if you want.