Sign in to follow this  
Jorgen

What do you use to lubricate ballbearings?

I just bought my first ballbearings and understand that you should lubricate them before using

Will any oil do?

I have som WD-40 home but afraid that it will react with the plastics in gearbox/gears etc

Its just metal. No rubber sealing etc

Thanks

Some of them are actually over greased to begin with so some members actually degrease them before reoiling them. WD-40 will be fine with the plastic but do note that it is in fact a degreaser and will degrease the bearings. Generally speaking, bearings are go to go as they are, any work you do to them will bring a slight improvement.

Now to your question, I have a bottle of YR bearing oil that came with one of their bearing kits. I put a drop or two onto my new bearings if I can remember/bother to.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

Come to think of it. How about that oil that comes with the dampers in the kit, In this case the yellow 400?

I just fit the bearings and don't worry about lubricating them as they come pre-lubricated. If you think they might get wet during running I would smear some grease on the outer surface and the surface the bearing seats onto to act as a corrosion deterrent, but bear in mind this will collect dust and dirt if running in a dry environment.

• Like 3

Bearings will come greased from the factory unless the manufacturer says otherwise and I would leave that grease as it is. You'll get a very long life out of the bearings that way. I just throw them away if they wear out, they are so cheap nowadays.

If you do decide to clean out the grease out with a solvent, the easiest way to re-lubricate is with a light oil. I have a very old bottle of synthetic bearing oil. Something like 3-in1 oil would be fine. Don't use WD-40 (too light and also includes solvents), and don't use silicone damper fluid (which adds resistance).

Rubber seals are a much better choice for bearings that are exposed to moisture and dirt, metal is only suitable for dry conditions or the interior of sealed assemblies.

• Like 3

One thing I do, only at the hubs where I think they're going to get wet, is put some grease on the outside of the bearings, just in an effort to keep the muck and water out. It won't lubricate, mind - rather it'll add more resistance vs a clean dry new bearing. But my interest here is more in longevity and I think it enables me to give my car a bit of a wash. After quite a few winter runs and subsequent washes (sometimes under the tap - sorry!) my XV-01 hubs spin freely and silently and the grease is still in evidence, so I took that as confirmation my approach is OK. 

• Like 1

I'll second the above and go one more: Any additional grease is likely to trap any dirt or grit that gets in the bearings and keep it there.

This can be a good thing. I often put a thin layer of grease inside gearbox covers, to trap dirt that gets past the rubber seal and keep it out of the gears themselves. This is good.

For bearings, that grease would keep the dirt inside the bearings. This is not so good.

I tend to do a full tear down of my cars twice a year - early spring when the weather starts to improve and clean away all the winter muck and then again mid autumn to prepare them for the winter muck. 

In terms of bearings, I wash them first in warm water and washing up liquid, spinning them up under the water to get rid of gunk, then dry them with paper towel, then immediately flush out with wd 40 to get rid of moisture and final leave them to soak in an up turned aerosol can lid over night in 3 in 1 oil. Might sound like a right old faff, but resurrected may crunchy and even semi seized bearings this way.

Yes, I'm tight. 😃

• Like 2

Agree with @sosidge

Racer’s might add Tamiya flourine oil (42280) - but it’s v expensive and a marginal gain 

To be fair, one bottle also dilutes in an airbrush to rust proof old metal chassis 👍

• Like 1