Sign in to follow this  
BuggyDad

Those little M2.6x5mm suspension shaft retaining screws

On the XV-01 (and I think commonly elsewhere) a 2.6x5mm screw is used to retain the suspension shaft at the hub, front and rear. Associated uses the same idea but an M2 screw. Miraculously I have found the snapped off part each time I've broken lower arms so far and so not lost the screws, but it's only a matter of time. I built the XV-01 with an aftermarket screw set but it didn't include a suitable replacement for this one. 

So I'd like to buy some spares. Anyone know what this kind of screw head is called? Ideally would be a hex one, but doesn't have to be. It's like a button head but wider and flatter. The critical dimension is diameter of the screw head - they're a wider diameter to retain the shaft. I can see the Tamiya part (albeit not currently in stock) but if there's a standard I'm missing I'll just buy from a generic screw supplier alongside others, to get hex.

I've used titanium hex heads for this purpose on a few buggies. The head is smaller but still prevents the shaft from releasing. 

I got them from a guy on facebook, he's based in uk so you could try him depending where you're located...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gregdogghurst said:

I've used titanium hex heads for this purpose on a few buggies. The head is smaller but still prevents the shaft from releasing. 

I got them from a guy on facebook, he's based in uk so you could try him depending where you're located...

Ah. Thanks. Have you got a link or name you could share?

Have a look at Tamiya 54420 2.6x5mm Titanium Screw - 5pcs.

"These durable, lightweight titanium screws replace the kit standard steel screws used to secure shafts on suspension arms of the TRF201, TRF511, TRF502, and XV-01 chassis machines" from rcjaz.

These flat pancake heads seem to be called "truss screws".

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, droidy said:

Have a look at Tamiya 54420 2.6x5mm Titanium Screw - 5pcs.

"These durable, lightweight titanium screws replace the kit standard steel screws used to secure shafts on suspension arms of the TRF201, TRF511, TRF502, and XV-01 chassis machines" from rcjaz.

These flat pancake heads seem to be called "truss screws".

Never knew what they were called. Thanks. 

@BuggyDad Found these at 6mm long on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124494753715?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8wq7Z9toR0m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=E_zGvBECTL-&var=425366412103&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

29 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Me neither! 

I went for these ones 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175309125843

for machine thread as per stock. 

• Like 1

I’m using 4-40 button heads on mine. Easy to get and fit a 2.6 hole like they were made for it.