Sign in to follow this  
Ziddan

FS-R9B RX blown->repair possible? -> Found Answers

A couple of days ago when putting electronics into my ORV chassi it went dead.

Was using a tble 2s, a cheapo regular size metalgear servo and this flysky receiver.

Having gotten that all togeter i was testing it, yes the wheels spin the right direction and the steering is responding, all good.

Then i hear a very slight click or pop, no control response and the esc reports no signal.

With som electronics experience i figure that something has likely just blown up and do the smell test on the esc, fine and then the RX, a slight but definite whiff of magic blue smoke.

I replace the rx with a servo tester to see if the rest is ok, responding as expected.

Using my volt meter to check what the tble bec is giving, 6v., within the range for the rx, but decide ro put it aside anyway.

Pull rx and esc from another model and get the build sorted.

Im not all that sad about not using the tamiya esc, no lipo cutoff but the RX is an 8 channel one i had left over and put in the build because its what i had spare.

Ive just started looking at a different project that is looking like it might need at least 5 channels so i want to try repairing this RX.

Opening it up i see what looks like the issue: 

4Q3ucVH.jpg

A blown component, its smd but it might be possible to replace it as the pcb is relatively simple, might find points it breaks out to if i fail to solder to the original pads.

Anyone know what it might be?

My wild guess is a voltage regulator.

I’d say you’re on the right track.

Probably is very repairable if you can get the right part.
Have you got the model number of the Rx or blown component?

13 hours ago, ad456 said:

Probably is very repairable if you can get the right part.
Have you got the model number of the Rx or blown component?

Posted the topic from my phone at work after taking the pic and during some downtime i did a bit of searching and found the answer here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2157062-Repairing-your-fried-FlySky-FS-R8B-9B-(ver-2)-Turnigy-RX-9X8Cv2

Gonna have a look at ordering the part and following the pictorial.

• Like 1