Fabia130vRS

Tamiya CR-01 Pros and cons ?*** new idea, Element Bushido vs MST CFX --- Bought a FTX Hi Rock

Another friend is building a crawler track around his ranch. He ordered a Traxxas TRX4 Defender, he is not a hobby build it guy and wants a RTR to bash out of the box.

me on the other hand is seeing a opportunity to have fun this year.

looking to buy a chassis first and I have my eyes on the Tamiya CR-01 Rock Socker.

I am not a crawler fan, but I like to have fun with RC cars and friends. As my collection of RC cars does not hold a offroad vehicle I am torn to get a CR01 and stay with Tamiya.

i have read bad rhings about the CR01, but do you guys think it is really bad? I don’t want to do no crawler competition just having fun and try to keep up with the trx4.

what upgrades are essential for the CR01?

what model in the same price range would be more advanced?

thank you

It's not comparable to the modern scale crawlers on the market (such as the TRX4), also there is very limited aftermarket support, it is a very, very old platform now.

I would get a scale crawler (Traxxas/Element/Axial). That's where the crawler hobby is now. I would actually recommend the RTR for a first crawler purchase, it's a cheaper way to get the parts you need. I would not recommend a CC-02, they are much smaller than the others and have a very basic design.

• Thanks 1

You'll struggle to find Tamiya Hop-Up parts for it, and a lot of the third party parts have dried up. I wanted some of the Tamiya metal shocks for it, but they are few and far between, or expensive. Saying that, the models are quite tough and don't need a lot doing to them other than shocks and drive shafts which thankfully can be still purchased (they are used for the CC-02 which I think helps).

Depends if you are more into the build or running. The CR-01 is quite unique and a cool build, but clearly no match for a more modern TRX-4 on the trail.

On the plus side you can do some fun things with the CR-01 like 4WS out of the box. And because it has the option of open diffs still means you can pretty much make a monster truck out of it. 😀

• Haha 1

I actually like my CR01, and as far as trailing around it will do ok. Hop ups are going top be your biggest issue now though. I built mine more as a scaler as I already have a 2.2 comp crawler. I’m now building a CC02 as another trail rig

46692240302_8804e39e65_k.jpg

• Like 1

Echoing the first two posts...

There's a good thread here about starting in the crawler world including discussion on the CR-01 (and a link to another topic in the subject!) And over in the Monster Truck / 4x4 forum there is a recent Traxxas build by @Busdriver

IT isn't hard to convert the CR-01 to a standard damper set-up, change the motor, etc but probably easier to start with something you can crawl straight out of the box (or newly assembled) and build on what you need from there.

I can vouch for the CR-01 monterisation route! Much fun on 3S!

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Thank you guys for the answers. Will check out the info you gave me.

I am young but like old skool, I don't need to have the latest inovations on my car. Retro-Nostalgic-Tamiya is the way.

I like the shock setup, I like how unique CR01 and Tamiya is. I would keep dampers as they are, but eventually upgrade the rocker arms to aluminium, are hop ups really so scarce?

Is there anything that brakes on the CR01 first? Weights in axels and ported axels is that a thing on the cr01?

Do 2.2. tires fit on the cr01?

I really dont want to go with another brand, and I dont need rtr, as I want to build it through the year.  I have heard brushless sensored motor are also good, probably something like 2200kV ?

2 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

I actually like my CR01, and as far as trailing around it will do ok. Hop ups are going top be your biggest issue now though. I built mine more as a scaler as I already have a 2.2 comp crawler. I’m now building a CC02 as another trail rig

46692240302_8804e39e65_k.jpg

I want the Jeep so bad! Is the price difference worth it, between the rock socker and toyota ?120€ for the body?

3 hours ago, sosidge said:

It's not comparable to the modern scale crawlers on the market (such as the TRX4), also there is very limited aftermarket support, it is a very, very old platform now.

I would get a scale crawler (Traxxas/Element/Axial). That's where the crawler hobby is now. I would actually recommend the RTR for a first crawler purchase, it's a cheaper way to get the parts you need. I would not recommend a CC-02, they are much smaller than the others and have a very basic design.

Can you specify what chassis models you refer to? the CR01 will cost me less then 300€

3 hours ago, Fish Slice said:

You'll struggle to find Tamiya Hop-Up parts for it, and a lot of the third party parts have dried up. I wanted some of the Tamiya metal shocks for it, but they are few and far between, or expensive. Saying that, the models are quite tough and don't need a lot doing to them other than shocks and drive shafts which thankfully can be still purchased (they are used for the CC-02 which I think helps).

Depends if you are more into the build or running. The CR-01 is quite unique and a cool build, but clearly no match for a more modern TRX-4 on the trail.

On the plus side you can do some fun things with the CR-01 like 4WS out of the box. And because it has the option of open diffs still means you can pretty much make a monster truck out of it. 😀

I want to build it and enjoy the process. I will probably buy the car in April, until June/July (high season) It will be built, after high season I will buy the electronics and approaching autumn I will be ready to bash. No rush

As said I dont need to keep up with the TRX4, but will I emberass myself with a CR01? I had a look on youtube and it really does seem mediocre. 

Would eventually upgrade tires and thats it.

I see now on tamico the CC02 comes with an ESC and motor at €250

can the cc02 be compared to anything near a CR01?

34 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Can you specify what chassis models you refer to? the CR01 will cost me less then 300€

Our Element Enduro kits cost a little over that once you factor in wheels, tyres, electrics, shell, but I guess you could get fairly close. What Enduro lacks that TRX4 has is essentially 2 speed, diffs and control of diffs. But it is good value and we enjoyed the build, I don't think they want any more upgrading and I think they'll be tough. 

• Thanks 1

I had a look at a build video.

Replace plastic shims with aluminum. (connection rods, uprights)

Aluminum damper spring mounts 1+ (probably rare)

fluorine coated stuff (or are they included like 4.8/5 mm ball connectors?)

barrel springs hop up

rocker arms (is there an ALU hop up for them?)(the connection between springs and dampers)

+ semi drop, pen spring upgrade :D 

It's a fun build, it'll take a while. They are tanks out of the box, aside from the cheese center driveshafts I've never broken a single part on any of mine.  With good tires and a little suspension work, they'll crawl very well. The steering is not great compared to modern day crawlers, but going with 4WS makes it bearable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

It's a fun build, it'll take a while. They are tanks out of the box, aside from the cheese center driveshafts I've never broken a single part on any of mine.  With good tires and a little suspension work, they'll crawl very well. The steering is not great compared to modern day crawlers, but going with 4WS makes it bearable. 

I am glad you mentioned 4ws, how does it work. My TX does not support channel mixing, do I need channel mixing?

I have a Sanwa MX-V

4 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

https://tamico.de/Traxxas-TRX-4-Sport-4x4-Bausatz-ohne-Elektronik for a closely priced TRX-4 sport (€302)

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I am glad you mentioned 4ws, how does it work. My TX does not support channel mixing, do I need channel mixing?

I have a Sanwa MX-V

Don't really know the Sanwa current range (last Sanwa I had was a 35Mhz 6-channel air set about 25 years ago!).

Just get another servo and a 'Y lead' if you can't do anything on the TX, or have just 2-channels.  IIRC you need to get one that reverses one servo.

Have a look here if you want to see some CR-01 action (keep in mind many of these Hop-Ups are rare):

• Thanks 1

I have a CC02 and CR01, both decently hopped up, but neither would be as good at crawling as a TRX4.

For the CR01 - fitting better props is probably the only thing I would class as essential. It's an interesting build as well, probably the most complex Tamiya I've done (and I've done quite a few).

Make sure you get a very strong servo for it as well

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

https://tamico.de/Traxxas-TRX-4-Sport-4x4-Bausatz-ohne-Elektronik for a closely priced TRX-4 sport (€302)

It is not worth it sorry. But in my opinion a traxxas without the electronic is just half the money worth.

I would love to have traxxas telemetry on my car but I do not see myself spending that amount of money. Just a waste of money and time, you will never get back.

Tamiya for me is worth more and reading another manual is just not making it for me.

Anyays thank you, I can get a trx4 with electronics for 570€. in my country, so minimun shipping and no tax.

1 minute ago, BuggyGuy said:

I have a CC02 and CR01, both decently hopped up, but neither would be as good at crawling as a TRX4.

For the CR01 - fitting better props is probably the only thing I would class as essential. It's an interesting build as well, probably the most complex Tamiya I've done (and I've done quite a few).

Make sure you get a very strong servo for it as well

Thank you. I like having interesting Tamiya's. So really, it's hard to change my mind to buy something else. 

I guess china 25kg will do it, even a 10kg savox might be enough I guess.

9 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

Just get another servo and a 'Y lead' if you can't do anything on the TX, or have just 2-channels.  IIRC you need to get one that reverses one servo.

Makes sense. Thank you for the input.

10 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

May you tell me how to search for them, what would be the 'keywords'? Any specific length or dimensions I need to search for?

6 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

May you tell me how to search for them, what would be the 'keywords'? Any specific length or dimensions I need to search for?

This is your friend - https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/matching/matching_list.pdf (last column on the models)

Finding them with parts codes is much easier when you know what is compatible (Sadly many are discontinued, but shafts should be fine)

• Thanks 1

I know Tamiya like's to discontinue stuff, but that's the fun. Upgrading a 10+year old model could take years and a lot of $$.

Can't explain how exited I was, I found tamiya FF03 steering upgrades that would cost $90+ in retail, on eBay from japan for only €50 NIB. Love shopping on yahoo.jp, and I am sure this CR01 could give me years of fun. :D 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

It is not worth it sorry. But in my opinion a traxxas without the electronic is just half the money worth.

I would love to have traxxas telemetry on my car but I do not see myself spending that amount of money. Just a waste of money and time, you will never get back.

Tamiya for me is worth more and reading another manual is just not making it for me.

Anyays thank you, I can get a trx4 with electronics for 570€. in my country, so minimun shipping and no tax.

By all accounts Traxxas electrics sound to be poop.  Can't comment myself as I've never used them.

CR-01 still needs electrics too, and you are pretty much going to want a 35T to 55T 540 motor for either car, a Hobbywing 1080 ESC ideally, and some radio gear.

3 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

By all accounts Traxxas electrics sound to be poop.  Can't comment myself as I've never used them.

CR-01 still needs electrics too, and you are pretty much going to want a 35T to 55T 540 motor for either car, a Hobbywing 1080 ESC ideally, and some radio gear.

electronics like a hw esc and crawler motor I am pricing around 50€ and a RX for my sanwa around 45€.

If I get the Rock Socker I am looking at around 400€ max. with new tires.

Traxxas has a nice app, and it eliminates the need of a GPS for speed runs. Not useful in a crawler. but in other domains.

43 minutes ago, Fish Slice said:

Have a look here if you want to see some CR-01 action (keep in mind many of these Hop-Ups are rare):

Thanks a lot for this!