Fabia130vRS

Tamiya CR-01 Pros and cons ?*** new idea, Element Bushido vs MST CFX --- Bought a FTX Hi Rock

The CR01 isn't bad per-se, but it is very expensive and very dated as others have noted. These things were out in the Axial AX10 Scorpion days and were not great performers out of the box then. Fun builds and quirky but not great at their intended purpose. They could be heavily hacked up and modded to allow them to keep pace with those old crawlers but today, the industry has moved on. I shocked they aren't discontinued yet as I don't really know who would buy one. Domestic market I guess.

I'm a Tamiya diehard and I couldn't recommend one of these as a crawler to someone in good conscience. There are just too many better (and often times, more scale) kit offerings for that price or lower. As a  trail truck, its great (though pricey for that use) but for crawling, not so much. Ebay shows CR01s running from $300 to $350 roughly at the moment. Axial offers their SCX10 ll raw builders kit for $240 and the top line SCX10 lll for $350. There's the TRX-4 Sport kit mentioned at $300 and Element's Enduro kit for $250 from Associated. All very much superior products. 

Its been a tough choice for me in this area of late. I love Tamiya and their kits but there comes a point when the other guys are doing it so much better, sometimes for less money that it gives me pause. I guess, I'm always on a budget. However if you have the money and can't leave Tamiya, the CR01 isn't tragically flawed, just poor value for the money.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Thank you. I like having interesting Tamiya's. So really, it's hard to change my mind to buy something else. 

I guess china 25kg will do it, even a 10kg savox might be enough I guess.

I fitted this from my CC02:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/198416/

It's not really enough IMO so will be fitting something else (probably a PowerHD HV waterproof 25KG jobby) as soon as funds allow (need a new ESC a that can provide 7.2 volts to the servo for the PowerHD to be worth it):

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/308989/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saito2 said:

The CR01 isn't bad per-se, but it is very expensive and very dated as others have noted. These things were out in the Axial AX10 Scorpion days and were not great performers out of the box then. Fun builds and quirky but not great at their intended purpose. They could be heavily hacked up and modded to allow them to keep pace with those old crawlers but today, the industry has moved on. I shocked they aren't discontinued yet as I don't really know who would buy one. Domestic market I guess.

I'm a Tamiya diehard and I couldn't recommend one of these as a crawler to someone in good conscience. There are just too many better (and often times, more scale) kit offerings for that price or lower. As a  trail truck, its great (though pricey for that use) but for crawling, not so much. Ebay shows CR01s running from $300 to $350 roughly at the moment. Axial offers their SCX10 ll raw builders kit for $240 and the top line SCX10 lll for $350. There's the TRX-4 Sport kit mentioned at $300 and Element's Enduro kit for $250 from Associated. All very much superior products. 

Its been a tough choice for me in this area of late. I love Tamiya and their kits but there comes a point when the other guys are doing it so much better, sometimes for less money that it gives me pause. I guess, I'm always on a budget. However if you have the money and can't leave Tamiya, the CR01 isn't tragically flawed, just poor value for the money.

I am in Europe and can get the Rock Socker for 250€ which is bout $270.

And I will have a loo at these too.

SCX10, TRX4 Sport and Elements Enduro,

I do not like how the middle of the chassis sits low, on the CR01. But otherwise I am all in it. The 3 Racing ported axels I saw are a great hop up I would wish for.

6 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

I fitted this from my CC02:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/198416/

It's not really enough IMO so will be fitting something else (probably a PowerHD HV waterproof 25KG jobby) as soon as funds allow (need a new ESC a that can provide 7.2 volts to the servo for the PowerHD to be worth it):

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/308989/

I have seen this servo many times. I would go with this one. 

It is a bit pricy but I have one in my FF003 and it is ripping SC1251

SC1251MG-1_800_600.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I have seen this servo many times. I would go with this one. 

It is a bit pricy but I have one in my FF003 and it is ripping SC1251

SC1251MG-1_800_600.jpg

I've got a few of those in my race cars, it's only 9KG though, would probably be ok in a CC02 - but a CR01 is a heavy beast with massive wheels.

Yes, I do not have experience in this field, may be writing nonsense. That is why I ask.

So 2.2 tires do not fit on Tamiya Bodies or?  I have also metal gear 14kg low profile servos, if the 9kg savox does not make sense, buying two of them is quite pricey. So just using 14kg china MG servos should do it.

Still, I am keeping in mind I will not go competition or extreme crawling. It just should be able to crawl.

15 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

So 2.2 tires do not fit on Tamiya Bodies or?

The stock CR01 uses 2.2 size crawler tires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I am in Europe and can get the Rock Socker for 250€ which is bout $270.

Keep in mind that the Rock Socker is the 'discount' (lower spec) CR-01.  The Unimog and Land Cruiser have full ball raced bearings included, the Rock Socker doesn't so you should factor buying the extra bearings into the overall cost.

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

The stock CR01 uses 2.2 size crawler tires.

Oh yeah, that reminds me too, the kit tyres are pretty poor, the Cliff Crawler ones are far better.

• Thanks 1

The Tamiya metal prop hop-ups are 54112 and 54113, 95mm and 85mm. RCMart has quite a few bits (not all of them necessary)

RC Mart CR-01

There are a few Xtraspeed spares out there now. I bought bumpers as my (now monsterised) Rock Socker was second hand and came without them. It was also set up 4WS with unlocked diffs. I have 25kg Amazon servos in mine, I think.

I've a Rock Socker to build as a crawler with a few hops ups. And an FJ Cruiser I might build one day too :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

@Fabia130vRS I absolutely love my CR-01. My only gripe with this chassis is that its wheelbase of 288mm does not match the bodies it comes with (242mm), giving and odd look. This can be re-worked by shortening the chassis or using a Hilux or F350 shell (from the 3-speed chassis).

This is what I did on my CR-01 Hilux Build. Thread linked below with build details and a review comparing it against other Tamiya chassis (have since changed the thread's title reflecting my current ongoing project, but the CR-01 and other trucks can be found on the first pages):

TT01E RWD Ford Capri Zakspeed - Alejo's Project Thread - General discussions - Tamiyaclub.com

HiluxBody-4.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A mix of parts from different manufacturers, I used what I could find.

cof.jpg

cof (11).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I will say, despite any criticisms I have about the viability of the CR01 today, they do look awesome. What's worse, seeing some of these beautiful examples is making me want one (again!). So, stop it. My wallet can't take it ;).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I personally like the cr-01;) I had a couple a fair few years ago which probably is the point it's a very old chassis and probably not a patch on the modern day crawlers? As I'm not familiar with the crawling community i can't really comment on a modern day crawler but there is probably no doubt that things have come on leaps and bounds from when tamiya originally released the cr-01 chassis but when I look at the cr-01 now I still think its probably a capable chassis for the guy/girl who just wants to have a bit fun in the back garden or in a bit of wooded area local to them and if your a die hard tamiya fan then why not even if it is getting on a bit and on the pricey side after all tamiya's never get old they just become classics:D

IMG_20160320_151725.jpg

IMG_20160416_185635.jpg

• Like 3

Never had a crawler so I know nothing much about them. Recently went to a physical shop and bought a Carisma SCA-1E. The owner said it is better than a CR-01. He could very well sell me a CR at £100 more instead but did not.

• Like 1

If you're fine with the limitations and drawbacks of an old chassis, which doesn't really have any aftermarket support, then I see no reason not to get one.  It's probably the best build of any car I've put together.  The planetary gears are really cool.

I don't particularly miss mine other than the fact it looked great sitting on a shelf.  I wanted to do more with it but the reality is I'm not much for fabricating bits.  Finding anything for it was going to be expensive and time-consuming.

6qdHOX6.jpg

• Like 2

Basically, it boils down to if you want a great crawler, look elsewhere. If you want a great Tamiya, then it's worth a look.  

Well, if we are showing off... :) This is my first one, backordered when it was announced and still kicking many miles later! I've stripped the rear ring gear, and that's it. They are very durable. 

20200522-161934sm.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 1:42 PM, OoALEJOoO said:

@Fabia130vRS I absolutely love my CR-01. My only gripe with this chassis is that its wheelbase of 288mm does not match the bodies it comes with (242mm), giving and odd look. This can be re-worked by shortening the chassis or using a Hilux or F350 shell (from the 3-speed chassis).

This is what I did on my CR-01 Hilux Build. Thread linked below with build details and a review comparing it against other Tamiya chassis (have since changed the thread's title reflecting my current ongoing project, but the CR-01 and other trucks can be found on the first pages):

TT01E RWD Ford Capri Zakspeed - Alejo's Project Thread - General discussions - Tamiyaclub.com

HiluxBody-4.JPG

The other option is to make some shorter rear links to suit, as IMO its the rear thats too far off

49621482132_e6a6586d29_k.jpg

• Like 5

A Tamiya that keeps up with a Traxxas on the trails??

Some say that my Clodbuster could keep up with any Traxxas and beat all of them if it wanted to, 

All we know is that it's called the Clodbuster.

QPxKftw.jpeg

Buy 2 Clods, sell most of one kit apart from the axles.. you can then offset the cost of the extra axle by selling the additional parts..

Keep up with a TRX???. Run right over the top of it. 😄😁

Stretched 4wd also works well.iNDQqWl.jpeg

• Haha 3

The CR01 is interesting, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money to own one.  It's really not good any anything compared to modern crawler/trail trucks, which is why I converted mine into a mini monster/mud truck.  I used it stock as a "crawler" for a while and it was OK, but can't say I liked it as much as any of my real crawlers.  

I have put a lot of miles on it and no issues with the exception of a few twisted plastic driveshafts, but its never left me stranded in the woods.  I say if you can get one cheap sure, but for what they go for new there are many better options out there.  

IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1