Sogogi

What’s your favorite rc car category at the moment?

I started with monster truck since it can just go anywhere and durable.

However I recently started to enjoy trail / rally quite a bit.

What is your favorite rc car category at the moment?

• Like 4

I enjoy Rally, and M-Chassis. But, my favourite (if I had to pick one) would be vintage looking 2wd buggies. I'm especially excited about rear motored vintage looking buggies with modern chassis's and materials. I love my TD2 Astute, and can't wait to get the new Kyosho Dirt Master. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I enjoy Rally, and M-Chassis. But, my favourite (if I had to pick one) would be vintage looking 2wd buggies. I'm especially excited about rear motored vintage looking buggies with modern chassis's and materials. I love my TD2 Astute, and can't wait to get the new Kyosho Dirt Master. 

Er, COUGH! 

Right now, rally for me, I love its balance of scale realism, speed and craziness. I don't have a particularly good location for it though. A rally course with other people to race with would be hard to beat. 

But then I'll also be piling into M chassis as well in a minute, for which I have a spot of tarmac, my DT-03 is undergoing a little tinker too, and my lad and I seem to be having a lot of fun occasionally with crawlers, for which good locations are easier to find. So who knows... 

• Like 2

Rally cars. Tarmac spec, especially.

I'm going for more of a scale driving direction with my build so it won't be a brushless monster and I'll be adding weight so that it leans and pitches around.

• Like 3

I love the one that I built for the budget rally challenge. Goes almost anywhere, even managed a buggy track. Will not win any race but then I don't race.

• Like 1

Well, let's see... Currently I'm working on a scale crawler, a tarmac rally car that doubles as a drifter, another touring car that's getting the safari treatment, a vintage re-re 4WD buggy, an M-chassis converted to a scale off-roader with a custom handmade body, and an RC conversion of a 1/8 scale static kit. Not sure I have a favorite category.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I like big trucks.

And you cannot lie?

• Haha 9

Been on a 2WD kick as of late, started racing Short Course over the summer, picked up a Jegs Stinger (Gforce Genova clone) for $50 when they were on sale and am currently finishing up a TD2 for when off-road racing restarts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I started with monster truck since it can just go anywhere and durable.

However I recently started to enjoy trail / rally quite a bit.

What is your favorite rc car category at the moment?

My pretend RC shop is currently working on on-road cars (touring car, pan car, drift, more m-chassis, MiniZ EVO AWD, then F1).  B)

..and will move onto rally next.. then back to vintage buggies and comicals.  B)

• Like 3

I like pretty much all categories, but for me vintage off road buggies (2 or 4WD) takes the cake. I would love to try racing with other people on a rally/offroad/tarmac track, as others said above it would be hard to beat!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

And you cannot lie?

I sang that post too

I'm into onroad at the moment with some 8th scale buggies coming in second, but thats just right now and i always go back to 10th scale buggies, new or old, 2wd or 4wd, they're just my favourite

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

And you cannot lie?

I started singing that in my head just as I scrolled to your post 😂

For me the vintage buggies and the modified/custom build stuff (mostly been built if the GF01). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been looking at buying a re-release Monster Beetle.  I haven't bought a car in ages.  2WD odd-ball monster truck seems like the most fun category to me right now.  Maybe even a Midnight Pumpkin will scratch that itch.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Blista said:

I've been looking at buying a re-release Monster Beetle.  I haven't bought a car in ages.  2WD odd-ball monster truck seems like the most fun category to me right now.  Maybe even a Midnight Pumpkin will scratch that itch.

I love my MP and the 3D printed options can really improve it for very little cash if you can have access to a 3D printer.

For me it's trucks and pickups. Right now most of mine are on the monster or trail end of the spectrum but I will probably spill into crawling and racing trucks. Looking good, bouncing around and able to tackle all terrain much more important than speed.

Not much interest in buggies, on road or rally, just trucks.

• Like 1

Its been big trucks for the last couple months in my case. I built a Clodzilla 3 style truck, a TXT-1 with Clod axles and have been recently fully rebuilding a stock-ish style Clod Buster as well. There might be a used E-Maxx (gasp) I got a very good deal on the bench too. I very much need to switch gears to 4wd buggy soon as I have Avante and Optima Mid kits in the queue. This is odd for me as I usually don't have a backlog of kits but several factors are working against my usual M.O. I've been slowly gathering  a few parts to make the Avante a hybrid runner and the ridiculously long wait time for the Mid has killed any joy I originally had for it. I want to be excited for that build again and I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

Touring cars and the odd direct drive, and have to be in a race livery.

Had buggies as a child but now do nothing for me.

Tough question to answer (...and unfortunately if you ask me a few months from now you may get a different answer....:unsure:).   Once the pandemic got me back into RC cars, I've been all over the place.  One thing for me however is they all must be fairly scale.   If there wasn't a 1:1 out there that looked rather close, then at this moment it's not for me.   I'm not overly into ultimate performance as I don't compete so that's a trade off I'm okay with to get the scale appearance.   Started with scale crawlers, went to vintage scale buggies, a few road course Porsches and lately, rally cars.  

One thing about "scale" RC  cars is that they aren't.. at least not to me.  They use fixed general wheel bases and bodies are stretched or shrunk to match.  Like I got a GR Supra drift car with the same wheel base as a NBR STI.  :wacko:

I own a 1:1 GR Supra and she is parked right next to my 1:1 STI.  The wheelbase is like 7" shorter in real life.. like 18cm.  In scale, the GR should be 1.8cm+ shorter than the STI.. but it isn't so it looks HUGE.  :blink:  :lol:  To remedy, I place the RC  Supra next to my RC Hakosuka GT-R as the GT-R is only marginally longer in real life.  I donno, perhaps this is a 1:1 car guy thing.  My m-chassis Mini Coopers look sort of scale to the Supra and Hakosuka GT-R so that does not bother me too much.  

So I gave up on "scale look" for RC and enjoy comicals like my M38, Billy's Bugs, Willy's Wheeler, and make my own garage accessories with Willy-comical distortion.  Off-road buggies are great as there isn't a 1:1 Egress or MID, etc to compare them to.. if I want scale, I would build plastic models. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Blista said:

Oh it will, Pumpkins are fun trucks once you throw in some bearings. I just took my Lunchbox out for a spin the other day and I've been amazed with its mix of off-road ability and battery life.

Just know that they handle awful, and don't fall into the trap of throwing parts at it to make it "better". If you want a Lunchbox with a lexan body, double wishbone suspension, oil shocks, 12mm wheel hubs, better wheelie bar, and a hot motor, buy a Stampede.

I've done oil shocks and they can help with off-roading, but any motor beefier than a sport tuned is too much power to have fun with. 

My favorite category probably would be rally if I had a place to run it, until then I usually switch between an on-road M chassis and my Lunchbox. Though I am trying to "get" SCTs since they have a scale look to them.

• Like 3

Off road buggies for me, and having built a few re-res and more basic cars last year I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to the more high end stuff as I'm finding the simpler stuff fun to build and run but not techie enough for me.

So I guess high end off road buggies would be my niche specialty  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

Tractors :)

SAM_4057.jpg

I blame you for this

• Haha 2