Cycledude

5835 Wild Willy SWB Originality Thoughts

A colleague recently give me an original Wild Willy SWB in fairly good condition after I helped him out at work.  (It pays to be nice!)  After disassembly and inspection, I found a few parts that need to be replaced.  I have most of them, but they are the LWB version.  what are the thoughts of the group on mixing SWB and LWB parts, or even Wild Willy 2 body parts?  It seems to me that this would have happened naturally as parts broke or wore from normal use.  The goal is to have a display model to go along with my Rough Rider, Grasshopper and A-stamp RC10.  Parts in question:

• Front bulkhead - I have a LWB version
  • Front shock mount part J6 - I have LWB version of both sides
  • Rear body catch assembly - I have one SWB version and missing one.  Was thinking of 3d printing a look alike.

Body issues:

• Wear on roll bar
  • Broken, but all there front grill
  • Missing radiator
  • Broken and partly missing winch
  • Cracked but all there windshield and frame

IMG_6883.JPEG

IMG_6881.JPEG

IMG_6882.JPEG

IMG_6884.JPEG

• Like 1

Wow, congrats.  SWB's are very special.  You can use a lot of the LWB parts like that broken bulkhead, but I would be careful not to mix parts that do not fit on the SWB. I also suggest you check out shapeways (3D printed parts) for those parts you might need as well.  GL!

In my collection I own 2 SWB's.  

IMG_2022-8-20-173032.jpg.f1e42ac215ee4e105f1d684374ec3105.jpg

• Like 3

Agree!  I’ve been educating myself on what works and doesn’t between SWB and LWB.    I was certain I could find the winch on Shapeways, but haven’t yet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would repair the original grill & rollbar, use the LWB bulkhead (seeing as there's no difference between SWB/LWB) and to get a new re-re winch. The winch hasn't changed, so IMO it's not worth repairing.

CzdSF7T.jpg

14 hours ago, Cycledude said:

Agree!  I’ve been educating myself on what works and doesn’t between SWB and LWB.    I was certain I could find the winch on Shapeways, but haven’t yet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

On my restorations, I used a WildWilly2 winch, hook, driver, NOS bottle, roll cage lamps, basically everything.  I tried to use as much original parts, but since I have a NIB and fresh build M38 in my set, I decided mixing bits is fine.  

5 hours ago, AshRC said:

I would repair the original grill & rollbar, use the LWB bulkhead (seeing as there's no difference between SWB/LWB) and to get a new re-re winch. The winch hasn't changed, so IMO it's not worth repairing.

3qb7vSd

This is the direction I’m headed.  Thanks for confirming the re-re winch.  I’ll look for one.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

On my restorations, I used a WildWilly2 winch, hook, driver, NOS bottle, roll cage lamps, basically everything.  I tried to use as much original parts, but since I have a NIB and fresh build M38 in my set, I decided mixing bits is fine.  

I think at some point we will all end up here. Particularly with the re-re parts that are identical.  Being happy with the model is the bottom line.  I do keep a record of what parts are original and re-re for reference.

• Like 1

Yes.. and if you want to go all out, then you  got something like this.. 4WD SWB M151 (compatible with M38 body) nicherotors original.. with simensays wheels.  This is not a GF01.  

This is where I ended up.. with modern twist.

IMG_Dec82021at63416PM.jpg.7a626de97234c7497c5db7a37d37488d.jpg

IMG_Dec92021at60046AM.jpg.36c95497736b72f44f77a91a741514ce.jpg

• Like 2

Wow. Short wheelbase. I’ve still have yet to see one in person. As stated above lots of re re parts are the same like the radiator (I think) but the re re grill is totally different. My suggestion is to get the slotted grill from shapeways if you don’t just repair that one. Yeah, the bulkheads and the shock tower do break on these guys and I’ve about used up my vintage parts trees running and restoring my LWB and my 58036 which believe it or not shared mad parts with wild willys. Good luck with the restoration project!

Here is my one old and one new for your viewing pleasure 

FQlENeI.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Yes.. and if you want to go all out, then you  got something like this.. 4WD SWB M151 (compatible with M38 body) nicherotors original.. with simensays wheels.  This is not a GF01.  

This is where I ended up.. with modern twist.

IMG_Dec82021at63416PM.jpg.7a626de97234c7497c5db7a37d37488d.jpg

IMG_Dec92021at60046AM.jpg.36c95497736b72f44f77a91a741514ce.jpg

Very nice!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Exit13 said:

Wow. Short wheelbase. I’ve still have yet to see one in person. As stated above lots of re re parts are the same like the radiator (I think) but the re re grill is totally different. My suggestion is to get the slotted grill from shapeways if you don’t just repair that one. Yeah, the bulkheads and the shock tower do break on these guys and I’ve about used up my vintage parts trees running and restoring my LWB and my 58036 which believe it or not shared mad parts with wild willys. Good luck with the restoration project!

Here is my one old and one new for your viewing pleasure 

FQlENeI.jpg

I just realized the radiator is included in the re-re but not used!  Shapeways is my backup plan for the grill.  Those paddle tires always them look better!

Here is my SWB.  I have 2 units.  They were pretty difficult to find..  both from Japan.

IMG_2023-1-30-232545.jpg.d44dfc1dd1712a333bd23c17e7b12d61.jpg

• Like 1

Here is where it is now.  Starting reassembly after a good cleaning.  Starting to put the front end back together.

D58D943F-F960-4FC1-B246-D3FD24A29F3D.thumb.jpeg.136c819926bbe91047a98ad750613991.jpeg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Here is my SWB.  I have 2 units.  They were pretty difficult to find..  both from Japan.

IMG_2023-1-30-232545.jpg.d44dfc1dd1712a333bd23c17e7b12d61.jpg

I didn’t realize the SWB were that hard to find.  

Tell me about those wheels!  They look more correct than the originals.

• Thanks 1

Here is where it is at the moment.  I just cleaned up the chassis and reassembled.  It has all SWB parts except the front shock stays and bulkhead which are LWB.  I'm missing one of the rear body mounts (if anyone has an extra SWB mount lying around, message me...long shot, I know.)  Still working on the grill as it was worse than I anticipated.

IMG_6900.thumb.jpg.0316aa8d5bca28c0282db422764507ac.jpgIMG_6901.thumb.jpg.b73f2d40f492c62ed87d1b425c5a5722.jpg

• Like 1

Almost done with bodywork.  Just a small crack starting by the fuel tank, small scratches and a divot on the hood from hot resistors.  I’m happy with how it is coming out.

25C49F24-EFB4-4EAF-B96C-518DDCF060F4.jpeg

• Like 6