Sam097

Tamiya tl01 rebuild

HiHi all, 

Please help I have rebuilt a classic Ford focus tl 01 with my son, which had a cracked chassis we replaced the chassis, bought new drive gears  and fitted metal bearings all seemed to be going well! everthing seems to work! Until it was power on time!! The pinion gear seems to only skim the gearing I fitted a 19 t / 48p (which I got cheap from ebay) should the pinion be larger to engage the gearing? As I don't think we did anything wrong during the rebuild!! Please help!! 

Kind regards Sam 

16750904337818984914587865070312.jpg

I know this is crazy basic compared to the build you guys get up to but we all have to start somewhere right!!? 

• Like 1

Tamiyas pinions are a weird thing sometimes, but I beleive that TL01s use 0.6 mod gears. Make sure that you use the correct motor mount holes that correspond with your pinion size.

If it helps, I use Robinsin Racing pinions in my on-road Tamiyas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! I thought it might be the motor as its after market so I took the sports tunnel 540 motor out of our grass hopper tried the 19t 48p pinion same thing just skimming! You would not have a correct pinion gear link for me would you?? Just don't want to buy wrong again! 

Kind regards Sam 

16750930898101511353134029161533.jpg

Yep, TL-01 uses Mod 0.6, which is different enough from 48 pitch that the gears will not mesh together nicely. As @Kowalski86 said, Robinson Racing gears are an excellent choice, and I can also recommend Yeah Racing pinion gears if the Robinson gears are hard to find wherever you live. Either will be miles better than the stock Tamiya pinion which is made of soft uncoated aluminum. Here's a link to the Yeah Racing pinion, the Robinson one is sold out ATM https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-racing-mod-0.6-hard-coated-aluminum-pinion-gear-19t-yea-mg-06p19t/p1378835 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bash said:

...the Robinson one is sold out ATM 

If you search "RRP1119"  you'll find the Robinson Racing gears on ebay, stinks they're sold oit though, I have an M03 on the way!

@Bash is correct about Tamiya pinions though, I keep them for reference and spare grub screws, but I never use them.

Thanks guys I'm in the UK but your info has helped greatly! Will get it sorted soon!!! Will let you know when it's running sweet again!