Dan1891

Datsun 280ZX, get it up and running again?

Hi!

I found my Datsun 280ZX after many many years recently.

I think this is a 1/12 scale model, i attach a picture of it.

But now some questions.

The radio TX and RX is lost, i think it was a Sanwa 27Mhz 2 channel radio, can i use a cheap modern 2.4 Ghz radio instead, and still use my old Sanwa servos with it?

The battery is also gone , i believe it was Tamiyas 7.2V NiCad pack. What new battery (and charger) would you use?

P1060351.jpg

• Like 10

Wow!  Very cool. I would definitely restore it.  B)

As for battery, looking at how compact the battery compartment is, I would use a 1:18 scale LiPo 2S battery.   I use Dynamite brand (TowerHobbies)  chargers.. they have been rock solid for many many years.  My recent one is called PassPort P2 and works off my iPhone.

• Like 2

What a lovely car, you don't see many of those nowadays! It's such a vintage car that spares are probably hard to come by and expensive, and what you have there is in such wonderful original condition that it would be a shame to run it and possibly crash and ruin it.

I'd probably just source a vintage receiver without a transmitter, clean it up and place it on a shelf where it can be appreciated for years to come.

And get something newer to actually run. They don't make that body set anymore unfortunately (which is why they are rare and expensive now), the closest is the 240Z if you want another Datsun.

• Like 1

If they are Sanwa servos of the era, you'll probably find that the wiring is in a different order to modern receivers. If you do want to get it running, I'd consider a full replacement of the radio with modern servos as well.

HOWEVER as others have said that is such a rare old model, in decent condition (even the foam tyres seem to have survived!), that it would almost be a shame to do anything other than clean it up.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input!

Yes, the tyres seems to be in very good condition!

Well, i start with a disassembly and cleaning it up then.

But it would be so fun to have it run again after all these years....sweet memories!

• Like 1

I’ve Never seen this model. Must be a rare one!!  Congrats on saving it!  I hope you can run it gently and enjoy it 

• Like 1

OK, now i have take my Datsun apart, and the chassi looks pretty good after all these years i think.

But, the motor capacitors i have done some homebrow job with as a teenager i think:)

What capacitors and values do you suggest? 2 or 3 of e'm?

P1060353.JPG

6 hours ago, Dan1891 said:

What capacitors and values do you suggest? 2 or 3 of e'm?

You won't need them if you use 2.4GHz modern radio.  They were there to prevent RF interference.  Considering how exclusive your car is, I would just run a modern radio on it....unless of course you don't mind glitches and potentially crashing into things.. :wacko:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Willy iine said:

You won't need them if you use 2.4GHz modern radio.  They were there to prevent RF interference.  Considering how exclusive your car is, I would just run a modern radio on it....unless of course you don't mind glitches and potentially crashing into things.. :wacko:

OK, thanks! Then i get rid of the ugly white one at least.

Some more job done on my Datsun. The front wheels have no ball bearings in, just some bronze bushings it seems. I have measured these to ca. 5mm inner, 11mm outer, and 4mm thick.

Is these dimension what Tamiya calls 1150 ?

This is so fun! Get me back to the hobby again after so many years :)

• Like 2

Hmmm, how do i know what lead is + on my motor?

I don't remember anymore, and both leads to the motor are red!

The mechanical speed controller looks pretty sad i think... Seems a bit burned?

Do you think i can use it anyway?

P1060354.JPG

8 hours ago, SugarFree said:

2s lipo battery or 7.2v NiMH battery.

Thnks, i think i will use a 7.2v NiMH then.

The lipo thing seems a bit overkill for me ( i have done some reading on lipo) :)

Today I took a closer look on my motor.

It seems i have done some creative job on it back then! (to make it serviceable i guess).

The endbell is secured with 2 screws:

P1060355.JPG

But this means i has rotated the endbell by some degree from stock position ( to be able to secure it with screws).

And looking at the other side, there is 3 slots in the motor can:

P1060356.JPG

The stock position is the upper slot, now i have it in the middle slot.

And then there is also a lower slot.

I guess this is for the "timing" of the motor? ( i didn't know much about it back then, but i have done some reading on it now).

Now the question:

What "timings" do the 3 different slots represent? Anyone know?

Brushed motor timing... imho those slots would be +ve/0/-ve top to bottom in relation to motor running direction  

You would’ve reduced the motor timing (=performance) by zeroing the end bell. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Brushed motor timing... imho those slots would be +ve/0/-ve top to bottom in relation to motor running direction  

You would’ve reduced the motor timing (=performance) by zeroing the end bell. 

Thanks!

So +ve is faster rpm and lesser torque  in the running direction (vs 0), have i understand it right?

On 1/30/2023 at 5:41 PM, Willy iine said:

Wow!  Very cool. I would definitely restore it.  B)

As for battery, looking at how compact the battery compartment is, I would use a 1:18 scale LiPo 2S battery.   I use Dynamite brand (TowerHobbies)  chargers.. they have been rock solid for many many years.  My recent one is called PassPort P2 and works off my iPhone.

I should had take more attention to your suggestion! It seems 7.2V NiMh packs are too big for my Datsun! I measure the usable size to ca. 125mm, and i have not found any 7.2V NiMh packs in that lenght, they seems to be at least 135mm :(

23 minutes ago, Dan1891 said:

I should had take more attention to your suggestion! It seems 7.2V NiMh packs are too big for my Datsun! I measure the usable size to ca. 125mm, and i have not found any 7.2V NiMh packs in that lenght, they seems to be at least 135mm :(

My TA05 MFour uses the 1:18 LiPo’s and works perfectly.   :D 

• Like 1

Next question.

Can you get new sponge tyres to these old cars?

At closer inspection the front wheels seems a bit uneven.

I was curious how an old motor from 1982 would look inside, and as i had made it serviceable i opened it up.

Not too bad inside, what do you think?

P1060360.JPG

On closer inspection, it seems i miss an insulated oil stop washer on the rotor in the picture, or?!!

If so it must been lost ages ago.

Anyone know what can be used or where to find such a washer?

P10603601.jpg

Now i'm confused, found this picture, maybe there was no such washers on these old motors after all?

Screenshot 2023-02-21 205402.jpg