Dan1891

Datsun 280ZX, get it up and running again?

Today i put my motor back again and put a tiny drop of oil in both ends of the motor shaft.

Then i run it gently with just 4 1.5v aa alkaline batteries, and after a while she's "purring like a cat" as we say in Sweden.

So, i think my old Black Motor still is alive! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Dan1891 said:

On closer inspection, it seems i miss an insulated oil stop washer on the rotor in the picture, or?!!

If so it must been lost ages ago.

Anyone know what can be used or where to find such a washer?

Were you expecting a nylon washer at the end of the commutator?  You don't really need it unless you have too much play and want to shim it.  If you must have one, you can probably make one out of scrap polycarbonate using a hole puncher and drilling out the middle for the shaft.  I will warn it can melt if your gearing is aggressive and over work the motor.  

GL and have fun!  :D 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Were you expecting a nylon washer at the end of the commutator?  You don't really need it unless you have too much play and want to shim it.  If you must have one, you can probably make one out of scrap polycarbonate using a hole puncher and drilling out the middle for the shaft.  I will warn it can melt if your gearing is aggressive and over work the motor.  

Yes, i was, i thought all motors have this washer. But now i just let it be, thanks for your info on this!!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, Dan1891 said:

Next question.

Can you get new sponge tyres to these old cars?

At closer inspection the front wheels seems a bit uneven.

I have those new sponge tires for sale.  Those are the same tires for my CanAm Lola.

can am lola tires.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, yellowcat said:

I have those new sponge tires for sale.  Those are the same tires for my CanAm Lola.

can am lola tires.JPG

Wow! Is it both rear and front tires? What an collection!

I post you a private message if it comes to it.

So the rim and tire was sold as an complete unit? You couldn't just get the sponge tire and glue it on your existing rim yourself?

hmm, is it tire or tyre? As an non native english speaking person i wonder what's correct?

16 hours ago, Dan1891 said:

hmm, is it tire or tyre? As an non native english speaking person i wonder what's correct?

Tyre in the UK. For us, tire means to become tired. Eg. "after running for several miles, he was beginning to tire".

Tire in the US. Tamiya use US English. Either will do on here, we will know what you mean.

Lovely car by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I've had to stop collecting vintage cars for now before my long-suffering wife sells me to a glue factory. But if I ever buy another one it will be one of these.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2023 at 11:53 AM, Fuijo said:

Tyre in the UK. For us, tire means to become tired. Eg. "after running for several miles, he was beginning to tire".

Tire in the US. Tamiya use US English. Either will do on here, we will know what you mean.

Lovely car by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I've had to stop collecting vintage cars for now before my long-suffering wife sells me to a glue factory. But if I ever buy another one it will be one of these.

Thanks for the information! I use Tyre then, because i'm closer to the UK :)

On 2/25/2023 at 5:53 AM, Fuijo said:

Tell him about “fags” and “rubbers” next!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Lol. No!

Suffice it to say there are almost endless opportunities for amusement, and sometimes embarrassment, between the various versions.

Even when we all use the same word, it can get you into trouble. There's one particularly unpleasant word that's a bit too strong even amongst friends. That is, everywhere except Australia, where somehow it sounds more amusing and less offensive.

Unfortunately for people who's first language isn't English, we seem to be stuck with it as the language of the internet. Yeah, sorry about that. I blame Canada. :)

On 2/22/2023 at 7:21 PM, Dan1891 said:

Today i put my motor back again and put a tiny drop of oil in both ends of the motor shaft.

Then i run it gently with just 4 1.5v aa alkaline batteries, and after a while she's "purring like a cat" as we say in Sweden.

So, i think my old Black Motor still is alive! :)

To continue the language theme, "purring like a cat" is also an expression we use in English, particularly about engines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

To continue the language theme, "purring like a cat" is also an expression we use in English, particularly about engines.

Spinner som en katt :) So you have the same saying then!

• Like 1

Help! My driver has lost his steering wheel! Not good! :)

What can be used to make him a new one? Some plastic i guess, but maybe someone have done it before?

P1060364.JPG

It might not be that cheap to do if you don't have the materials already, but I'd use some brass rod inside a styrene tube. The rod will stop the tube collapsing when you bend it to make the rim, and also help hold the shape.

Then glue it to the boss which you could cut to shape from styrene sheet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

It might not be that cheap to do if you don't have the materials already, but I'd use some brass rod inside a styrene tube. The rod will stop the tube collapsing when you bend it to make the rim, and also help hold the shape.

Then glue it to the boss which you could cut to shape from styrene sheet.

Great tip! a brass rod into a some form of vinyl tubing then. Thanks!!

On 2/27/2023 at 3:28 AM, Frog Jumper said:

What about durex ( a brand of sticky tape in the US I believe?)

On 2/6/2023 at 7:29 PM, Dan1891 said:

The mechanical speed controller looks pretty sad i think... Seems a bit burned?

Do you think i can use it anyway?

P1060354.JPG

I have been working on my new Wild Willy 2 kit, so i almost forgot my old loving Datsun!

But soon i'm planning to do some job on it.

Would you say its totally bad to try to use this old mechanical speed controller with a servo?

I think it would be nice to keep it as close to original as possible.

On 4/28/2023 at 9:45 PM, Dan1891 said:

I have been working on my new Wild Willy 2 kit, so i almost forgot my old loving Datsun!

But soon i'm planning to do some job on it.

Would you say its totally bad to try to use this old mechanical speed controller with a servo?

I think it would be nice to keep it as close to original as possible.

No one have an input on this?

• Like 1

If you can get the original mechanical one working then go for it. Yes electronic ones offer finer control , but nice to have the originality 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nick G said:

If you can get the original mechanical one working then go for it. Yes electronic ones offer finer control , but nice to have the originality 

Thnks! I think i give it a try then, electronic speed controller just seems not right for my old loving Datsun..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dan1891 said:

Thnks! I think i give it a try then, electronic speed controller just seems not right for my old loving Datsun..

While the MSC is technically period correct, there is one issue with them which may change your mind: they have no safety cutoff.

By that I mean, when you let off the throttle, or if the ESC becomes disconnected, power is removed from the motor and the car stops whatever it's doing and goes dead.

Whereas with an MSC, especially a really old one like that with no BEC, if your radio loses power or connectivity, the servo controlling the MSC stops in place and doesn't return to neutral. So if something goes wrong when you're at full throttle, the car remains at full throttle, without your control, just going until it crashes into something.

Which would be a real shame to see happen to such a nice vintage car. Random things can happen too, like a glitchy servo that suddenly snaps all the way to one side and stays there until the power is removed from the radio. In that case, you might still have control of the steering, but if the MSC servo was glitching out like that, there would be no way to shut the motor down unless you could catch it before it wrecks.

I vote ESC and NiMH batteries to keep the car controllable.

12 hours ago, El Gecko said:

While the MSC is technically period correct, there is one issue with them which may change your mind: they have no safety cutoff.

By that I mean, when you let off the throttle, or if the ESC becomes disconnected, power is removed from the motor and the car stops whatever it's doing and goes dead.

Whereas with an MSC, especially a really old one like that with no BEC, if your radio loses power or connectivity, the servo controlling the MSC stops in place and doesn't return to neutral. So if something goes wrong when you're at full throttle, the car remains at full throttle, without your control, just going until it crashes into something.

Which would be a real shame to see happen to such a nice vintage car. Random things can happen too, like a glitchy servo that suddenly snaps all the way to one side and stays there until the power is removed from the radio. In that case, you might still have control of the steering, but if the MSC servo was glitching out like that, there would be no way to shut the motor down unless you could catch it before it wrecks.

I vote ESC and NiMH batteries to keep the car controllable.

Thanks for this info.

I guess i need a 6V separate battery pack for the receiver if i use the mechanical speed controller, like back in the days.

The only problem i had back then, was that the servo glitched a bit now and then, but then i had an 27Mhz AM radio.

Isnt this glitching problem much less with modern 2.4Ghz radios?

4 hours ago, Dan1891 said:

Thanks for this info.

I guess i need a 6V separate battery pack for the receiver if i use the mechanical speed controller, like back in the days.

The only problem i had back then, was that the servo glitched a bit now and then, but then i had an 27Mhz AM radio.

Isnt this glitching problem much less with modern 2.4Ghz radios?

Yep, usually one of the 4AA units which adds weight. The car will feel more sprightly with an ESC due to only having the main sub-C battery pack.

Glitching is basically zero with modern radios, but there are occasionally weird things that happen. If you do use the MSC and additional batteries, make sure the plugs are as tight and well-connected as possible. I've had to track down a loose radio/servo plug in one car which would lose connection randomly over bumps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

Yep, usually one of the 4AA units which adds weight. The car will feel more sprightly with an ESC due to only having the main sub-C battery pack.

Glitching is basically zero with modern radios, but there are occasionally weird things that happen. If you do use the MSC and additional batteries, make sure the plugs are as tight and well-connected as possible. I've had to track down a loose radio/servo plug in one car which would lose connection randomly over bumps.

Thnks! Great, as the only problem i remember back then was the glitching servos!

Today i connected the speed controller up for the first time in like 35 years :) To see if it still works.

And it does! really well i must say, both forward and reverse with a decent speed control in both directions.

P1060386.JPG

• Like 2