87lc2

Long Wheelbase (15") Bodies?

Do you guys know of any lexan pickup style bodies in 14-15" wheelbase?  Building a long wheelbase race truck and guess I didn't think this through :)   The longest I know of are 13" JConcepts bodies and I can cheat a wheelbase as good as anyone, but no way to make a 13" fit a 15" and look half decent and avoid rubbing the front tires when turning.  

Any help appreciated, hoping I'm missing something out there.  Truck should work great but no body no racing unfortunately.  

Dang…. There was a Parma Puller truck body on eBay’s but it looks like it’s gone now…

8 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Kyosho USA 1 in lexan? The wheelbase is 14.1 

Forgot all about that guy, thanks!  That might be a bit heavy (with the plastic add-on parts) for my purposes but definitely an option, thank you. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Dang…. There was a Parma Puller truck body on eBay’s but it looks like it’s gone now…

Oh that would have been nice.  Funny, I did look on Ebay last night for old Parma 1/8 scale stuff but only saw a couple that were about 13".  

36 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

Forgot all about that guy, thanks!  That might be a bit heavy (with the plastic add-on parts) for my purposes but definitely an option, thank you. 

It would be heavier that a 100% lexan body. If needed I can weigh it for you later if you want. Mines unpainted and still in the bag but the difference wouldn’t be a whole lot I wouldn’t imagine. it really does look fantastic. 

I think Proline do a 13.9” Chevy crawler body as well but it’s coming in a good bit short.

How big is the Cen F450/250? Surely theres a way to fix the cab and bed together(shoo goo and screws maybe). 

Edit: scratch that, the Cen f450 is over 17” now I check and 16 for the 250

Edited by ad456
  • Like 1

Interesting...I think you're into 1/8 truck category here. 

CEN Ford F-250 SD is 16"

Redcat Wendigo/Marksman bodies are 14.5, can easily get 15" under it I think. Mines just a hair under 15. Here's the body on my mat, 15" looks perfectly doable. Not a pickup though. 

20200724-161449-SM.jpg

Redcat Kaiju is also around 14.5, but it's quite strange looking. 

Savage XL body is 15.3, but I'm sure they are hard to find. 

E-Revo is spot on 14.94...lots of Revo options out there. The PL Silverado has an interesting cutout in the back, should look ok with a longer WB. 

• Like 1

Great suggestions guys, keep them coming!  I'll look into everything you guys mentioned.  Ideally it would be a licensed pickup body with as little weight as possible rather than a crawler body but beggars can't be choosers at this point. 

@ad456 No need to weight it, I'm sure its pretty much standard for a lexan body with a bit extra for the grille/bumpers/roll bar.   That is a great looking body.  Saw a picture on Kyoshos site without the front bumper and might be able to make that work, doubt I could use the bumper since the body will be mounted very low.  Wheel wells can definitely be cut to give some extra wheelbase it seems as well. 

@OldSchoolRC1 Thank you, great options there.  Don't think the Redcat option would work (really want a pickup), but the Revo options are something to look into.  I always thought Proline made the aftermarket bodies shorter than the actual truck for some reason but I'll take a look.

Are there any smaller indy body manufacturers over your side of the pond? In the vein as we have Kamtec. I Looked through McAllisters and RJ Speeds sites a didn’t find much for this size but I’m sure there’s more. 

2 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

The Parma Puller body is back up:

That thing is so rad.  Reminds me of oldschool 6x6 clod builds...

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:58 AM, Frog Jumper said:

Oh wow, I think that's actually way too long :)   Either way just looks a bit too goofy for my tastes.  Perfect for a puller, but would look weird on a monster truck with that super long bed. 

@bRIBEGuy - Funny you mention the HPI stuff.  I actually have the 79 Ford Extended Cab on my Kyosho Mad Force and it dawned on my last night that she's huge.  I should have my chassis together in the next day or so so I'll give that one a shot.  I saw a few of them for sale online so at least its available.  That might be the way to go here. 

• Like 2

RC4WD manticore body is an option I should’ve suggested first as I have one. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it. Alas it’s not a real truck but it’d fill the 15”

5 hours ago, ad456 said:

RC4WD manticore body is an option I should’ve suggested first as I have one. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it. Alas it’s not a real truck but it’d fill the 15”

Oh thank you!  That actually looks perfect, I can make a Ford out of that thing with extra decals I have lying around :)   

I got the chassis assembled the other night and wow, 15" is looong in person.  I tried my HPI 79 Ford body and it's a bit short but can be made to work.  Problem is I think its an ugly body and no interest in using it.   I ordered a clear version of the USA-1 body set from Kyosho so we'll see how that looks.  This Manticore body might be the ticket though.  I like the width and it definitely very closely resembles a Ford F150 extended cab truck.  Have a pile of extra JC decals with grilles and such and I'm sure I can make it look good.  Will have to order of these and give it a shot. 

• Like 2

Yer, welcome! I can post shots in comparison to the Kyosho and a JConcepts Chevy 1500 later on if ya want?

2 minutes ago, ad456 said:

Yer, welcome! I can post shots in comparison to the Kyosho and a JConcepts Chevy 1500 later on if ya want?

If you wouldnt mind posting a picture of the USA-1 body and the actual wheelbase I would really appreciate it.  I know the truck is 14.2" but interested to see what the body actually is.  Compared to the JC body would be nice as well.  I have pretty much every JC monster truck body sitting here and none are even close...I think the longest JC body is the '88 Chevy Snoop Nose and even that is way short on this truck.  I've used that body on 13.5" trucks and it looks fine with cut wheel wells, but not going to happen on this guy.  I hope the USA-1 body is a bit longer.  

• Like 1

@87lc2 Here we go. I'm no photographer so if you want better/different angles etc just ask

AHA!! Stupid Https, Grr.

sVmh77N.jpeg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh thank you @ad456 this is perfect.  It looks like I made the right choice and should be able to make the Kyosho USA-1 body work.  Thanks again!

• Like 2

Received the Kyosho USA-1 body today and unfortunately the body is only a 13-13.5" wheelbase.  The Mad Force is 14.2" but the body is a bit short.  Since I need to get a body on this thing to race I decided to start cutting and make it fit.  

Not happy with how it turned out but it'll do for now.  A bit stuck at this point, my only hope would be to see something new come out.  Maybe JC will make an LMT Mega length body in pickup form, that would be ideal.  

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help guys, appreciate it. 

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5082.jpg

• Sad 1

That is one looooongg truck, shame it’s not quite long enough, it’s not too far out but I can see why you’re not happy with it. 

On a side note, was your body absolutely caked in mold release? Every time I go near mine I end up washing my hands. 

1 hour ago, ad456 said:

That is one looooongg truck, shame it’s not quite long enough, it’s not too far out but I can see why you’re not happy with it. 

On a side note, was your body absolutely caked in mold release? Every time I go near mine I end up washing my hands. 

Haha, yea it is a very long truck.  It will have its purpose over the summer racing season and works really well.  

As far as mold release, nope, did not have that issue.  Body was very clean actually.  Finished trimming last night and gave it a quick scuff and soapy bath, nothing out of the ordinary as far as mold release or anything. 

• Like 1

Got her painted today.  Unfortunately I had to lose the lower headlights due to tire clearance...not ideal but can't deal with rubbing.  Will get the decals on tomorrow sometime.  Overall its a nice body, already ordered another for a project I have going on.  Luckily I won't have to mess with the wheelbase for that one and can keep it mostly original.  

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

• Like 4

Finally put the decals on, I'm actually quite happy with it.  The truck works fantastic so not too concerned with the body.  This will be an absolute beast on long, fast outdoor tracks this season.  Thanks again for the help guys. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 3