Sign in to follow this  
gkatz

optima mid - how fun is the build?

Hi guys;

I have to say, I really really like the optima mid.

I was wondering how fun it is to build? and maybe how it compares, building wise, to something like the tamiya avante 2011

thanks!

The MID is fun to build up to the point you need to think how to mount the electronics and clean up the wiring.   It doesn't bother me, but I can see how it can be a challenge.  

Avante was a bit quirky to build, but that was the whole point of getting these vintage cars.  GL with your build! B)

MID is a fantastic car. 

IMG_2022-11-6-122442.jpg.786212e2ad7111cf2028679ce2508eaa.jpgIMG_2022-12-27-175125.jpg.6f8fa74321fe7e1b2a64ec573dbe1d39.jpgIMG_2022-12-27-175235.jpg.0f3a0ed2799fd1a19d6e0e768e7a8fcd.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, clobbo said:

@Willy iine - how are the shocks?  My Optima, Javelin, and Turbo Optima shocks all leak.

There's quite a bit of info on the shocks on the general Mid thread. 

This thread, last couple of pages:

Basically, lots (but not all) leaking, probably cause, some mods! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clobbo said:

@Willy iine - how are the shocks?  My Optima, Javelin, and Turbo Optima shocks all leak.

They haven’t leaked.  Simple yet effective design.  B)

• Like 1

@Willy iine so having built several of these.. what hop ups would you strongly recommend?

I'd like to build mine as a mild runner,  maybe put a slower motor in it to run (just so I can enjoy the experience and not crash/break things) - I see you've mentioned a low profile Savox servo several times, but for a decent brushless, what would you recommend?  Thinking a HobbyWing Justock, but the number is a little confusing to me (10.5 vs 13.5 vs 17.5?)

13 hours ago, clobbo said:

@Willy iine so having built several of these.. what hop ups would you strongly recommend?

I'd like to build mine as a mild runner,  maybe put a slower motor in it to run (just so I can enjoy the experience and not crash/break things) - I see you've mentioned a low profile Savox servo several times, but for a decent brushless, what would you recommend?  Thinking a HobbyWing Justock, but the number is a little confusing to me (10.5 vs 13.5 vs 17.5?)

For me, I installed most of the hopups as it not only is my casual runner, it is also a display piece.   And part of me is like retaliating towards my youth years as I was poor, my pops did not support the hobby at all (actually he basically hated and resented everything I liked), and I could not buy a nice Kyosho car at all... did not even register on my radar.. so my cars are overly compensated these days with high end stuff for that reason.  :lol:

Honestly the car runs fine in stock form, it's just a matter of how much you want to put into it.  The stabilizer was one piece I did not find much value, but it looks good.   If you run the JustStock you will most likely going to need to remove the fan.. there is very limited space for the ESC unless you opt for the CF decks.  You'll want to get the 3rd party under tray if you go CF and run the car.  GL with your choices!  

On 2/15/2023 at 8:31 AM, Willy iine said:

And part of me is like retaliating towards my youth years as I was poor, my pops did not support the hobby at all (actually he basically hated and resented everything I liked), and I could not buy a nice Kyosho car at all... did not even register on my radar.. so my cars are overly compensated these days with high end stuff for that reason.  :lol:

Honestly the car runs fine in stock form, it's just a matter of how much you want to put into it.  The stabilizer was one piece I did not find much value, but it looks good.   If you run the JustStock you will most likely going to need to remove the fan.. there is very limited space for the ESC unless you opt for the CF decks.  You'll want to get the 3rd party under tray if you go CF and run the car.

Yeah, that's my reason for building/buying so many vintage trucks and buggies too.. I wanted a Bruiser but in the end I was happy with the Hornet.  Now I've got my Bruiser that and a lot more.

Which motor do you have in yours again?  Too lazy to go through your post history..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clobbo said:

Yeah, that's my reason for building/buying so many vintage trucks and buggies too.. I wanted a Bruiser but in the end I was happy with the Hornet.  Now I've got my Bruiser that and a lot more.

Which motor do you have in yours again?  Too lazy to go through your post history..

Awesome, I wanted a Bruiser too back in the 80's but there was no way I could afford one either.  I have a NIB rere sitting on display in my pretend RC shop.. I might build it one day. 

I run LeMans 240S. 15.5T on all 3 of my Optima MID's.  Two run XR10 JustStock ESC's (dual CF decks) and one LeMans 240S ESC mounted onto the aluminum lower deck as per instructions.  Kyosho should stay away from making ESC's.. they are pretty horrible as far as modulation even though they have that premium look.  

• Like 1