Bethor

TD2 servo question

Hello,

I recently bought a TD2 but, the hitec hs-77bb low profile servo bought to use in it still appears to be a little too big to fit.

What recommendations do you have for a low profile servo that will work in the TD2? I am currently looking at using the TSU-06 but would love some more suggestions.

If possible I would also like to keep the price under $70.

thank you!

-Bethor

That’s a really good question,  all it shows is low profile servo needed. I thought all would be the same but I guess not? The one I have is 44x23x25mm or 1.7x0.9x1.0

25 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Savox 1251MG is good - I use one in my TD2 race buggy.

How was the cable management? The cable appears to be a little shorter. Did you have to move anything around to make this work? so far all my Tamiya’s have Futaba normal size servos, so this is a new one for me

1 hour ago, Nick-W said:

I used a relatively cheap Etronix one in mine. So far it seems ok.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/etronix-82kg-011s-low-profile-digital-servo-metal-gear-433036

I did have to still use the spacers on top the servo mounts though. 

I took a look and figured since I was all in on the TD2 I wanted to go a little bit more expensive. Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! I will keep this in mind for my next build.

• Like 1

I've got an AGFRC 19kg in mine that I got from Amazon, fitment was excellent and it's got really good specs for the price as well. I really like the Shift RC low profile servo as well, have one in my Kyosho short course truck, seems a little stronger than the AGFRC but is also more expensive and might be hard to get depending on where you live since they are a smaller company.

• Thanks 1

From the manual, you need a servo 48mm wide, 14-17mm from the bottom to the underside of the "wings", and 12-15.5mm from the underside of the wings to the top of the shaft.  A width isn't specified.

Which dimension is too big for you, I assume the width?  The Hitec seems wider than some at 25mm, compared to the 20.3mm of the Etronix one listed above and the JX PDI-4409MG or SPT4412LV:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234073269552

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354008208678

• Thanks 1

As an aside, Hitec servo splines don't play nicely with Tamiya, Tamiya only support 25t and 23t, Hitec use 24t. There are workarounds but there are plenty of better servos available.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Twinfan said:

From the manual, you need a servo 48mm wide, 14-17mm from the bottom to the underside of the "wings", and 12-15.5mm from the underside of the wings to the top of the shaft.  A width isn't specified.

Which dimension is too big for you, I assume the width?  The Hitec seems wider than some at 25mm, compared to the 20.3mm of the Etronix one listed above and the JX PDI-4409MG or SPT4412LV:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234073269552

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354008208678

You’re right from wing to wing it Makes it impossible to mount correct. The screws will not line up going from the body to mounting brackets it just barely misses it. I thought it was all standardized when I bought one. Ty for the info.

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

As an aside, Hitec servo splines don't play nicely with Tamiya, Tamiya only support 25t and 23t, Hitec use 24t. There are workarounds but there are plenty of better servos available.

Great info! I will setup a return if possible. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bethor said:

How was the cable management? The cable appears to be a little shorter. Did you have to move anything around to make this work? so far all my Tamiya’s have Futaba normal size servos, so this is a new one for me

It was ok, I have the receiver between the side of the tub and the servo anyway. Most Savox servos have long leads unless they explicitly state the have a short cable in the spec (like some of the black editions)

• Thanks 1

Well this has actually annoyed me a bit - such a low profile servo with options that are 1/4 price of the car :( 

guess it's AliExpress and a 3 week wait :)

JJ

JX PDI4409MG fit perfectly. Available on bangood and AliExpress 

Resizer_16787359473681.jpeg

I too tried a low profile Hitec servo that I had in my stash. It was too long and too wide. I've totally forgotten what I used instead. I'll have to go look. :D