qatmix

Tamiya MB-01 Chassis

It does look interesting. I am really hoping there is a way to make it 4WD, although I can't get my head around the geometry quite yet! 

• Like 1

Looks brilliant! So if I'm understanding it right, all you do is flip-flop the diff and move the steering linkage to the other end to change from FWD to RWD? That's the cleverest M-chassis layout since the original.

• Like 3

I can't believe it took a full day for a thread to start on this....LOL.

Design is interesting... will likely be a great "tinkerer" kit as it has so many setup options out of the box.  Will be interesting to see performance compared to the other M-Series cars.

It looks like a bottomless pit for hopups… :rolleyes:

on the other hand, thank god we can stop getting rwd cars released on m05… 

a 4wd conversion kit would certainly open it up to mini size rally driving and the like. The rear motor mf01x just doesn’t handle right for most rally cars. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

Ha ha ha.... TRUTH!

55 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

It looks like a bottomless pit for hopups… :rolleyes:

on the other hand, thank god we can stop getting rwd cars released on m05… . 

Thats very likely one of the reasons Tamiya made this chassis, less fuss over which body goes to which chassis.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thats very likely one of the reasons Tamiya made this chassis, less fuss over which body goes to which chassis.

One chassis to rule them all.
One chassis to find them.
One chassis to bring them all,
and in Tamiya bind them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

looks like a cross between an ABC Gambado and an HPI Switch in the front motor config 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hopefully it'll allow you to use square-case batteries. Finding the 2s packs in the old NiCD/NiMH formfactor seriously limits options. 

In the article above, it has photos that show it can take a square cased lipo :)

• Like 1

Seems to be clearly a kind of "TT01/02" of the M-series. It will definetely not outperform M07/M08. Lengthwise motor is a bit odd for high power engines (which it is probably not intended to). I´m quite sure, a 16t Carson dragster set, which is still used in Tamiya Euro Cup series, could initiate some torque steer  in such a small chassis...

But for some nice scale driving and getting into M-chassis it´s probably the most versatile solution since M01/M02.

I like the concept of this chassis.  The B in the name is almost like they're saying it's a modern interpretation of the spirit of the original m-chassis cars.

It looks like something that people will do all sorts of interesting things with.  I recall an Australian m-chassis race group saying that the M07 basically killed off their hobby because it was so damned good as a race car.  They were used to tinkering endlessly with the M05 and M03.  The M07 out of the box was too competent and a lot of them lost interest.  Not saying the MB01 isn't competent of course!

21 hours ago, Juls1 said:

This is a really interesting point. A re-re of the Renault 5 Turbo on the MB-01 would indeed be great. It was quite a troubled release in the M-05Ra chassis with it being FWD and also the rear width not matching the fat end of the body. Even if you try to fit the Renault 5 body on a M-06 it would not fit, since the motor handing at the end of the M-06 interferes with the body. The MB-01 opens the possibility of having RWD with many short rear overhang rally cars.

• Like 3

I'm not sure it can be built 4wd, looks like the only change between fwd and rwd is to attach the steering servo to the other set of wheels, and turn the shell round the other way? Steering arms, etc will be built on one end or the other as needed. 4 wheel steer might be a possibility though?

12 minutes ago, foz75 said:

I'm not sure it can be built 4wd, looks like the only change between fwd and rwd is to attach the steering servo to the other set of wheels, and turn the shell round the other way? Steering arms, etc will be built on one end or the other as needed. 4 wheel steer might be a possibility though?

Yes it looks like the motor always attached to the same wheels. However 4WS looks possible, not quite sure for an M class anyone would need that, but you never know. Perhaps some smaller urban cars have 4WS to get into tight parking spots etc? 

I am just frustrated you don't have an option for front motor 4WD or RWD, but I think it still looks cool and will help Tamiya owners have a few more realistic options for motor and wheel drive. 

• Like 1

From my post on the other thread....

As for 4WD, I think it will depend on whether there is the ability to add a shaft to the other side of the transmission and the ability to accept it at the second gearbox.

I don't think we are necessarily looking at an M-sized WT-01 as the chassis appears to have something like the M-08 arrangement for changing the wheelbase and the 'front' gearbox (looking at the RWD car) is keyed into that and won't necessarily accept a shaft. 

Starting with the premise of an RWD car, you might need another 'rear' gearbox that accepts a shaft input and a shaft to run from the transmission to it, however, will it key into the chassis?

We need a manual!

Of course, I have been wrong about the MB-01 before :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Yes it looks like the motor always attached to the same wheels. However 4WS looks possible, not quite sure for an M class anyone would need that, but you never know. Perhaps some smaller urban cars have 4WS to get into tight parking spots etc? 

I am just frustrated you don't have an option for front motor 4WD or RWD, but I think it still looks cool and will help Tamiya owners have a few more realistic options for motor and wheel drive. 

Looking at the photos and diagrams, it seems to me that the car is built with steering hubs and arms at both ends regardless of whether it is RWD or FWD. I can see ball cups, etc. Perhaps you then lock out the non-steering end?

This would make 4WS far easier to achieve?

Or am I going mad?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Looking at the photos and diagrams, it seems to me that the car is built with steering hubs and arms at both ends regardless of whether it is RWD or FWD. I can see ball cups, etc. Perhaps you then lock out the non-steering end?

This would make 4WS far easier to achieve?

Or am I going mad?

Allows for adjustable rear toe using the turn buckle, as well as active rear toe, eg when suspension compressed, toe increases.  A lot of touring cars have this feature now. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

However 4WS looks possible, not quite sure for an M class anyone would need that, but you never know. Perhaps some smaller urban cars have 4WS to get into tight parking spots etc? 

4WS is pretty much essential for a competitive racing teapot, for which this chassis appears well-suited. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Tower Hobbies showing $140 pre-order.

Terry

$140 Wouldn't be half bad, if they re-release the air cooled VW shells on the MB-01 it'd make them a bit cheaper than the M06 releases...in theory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

A small glimpse from the manual taken from Mikanews' video on Youtube:

mb-01.png

Very interesting. Almost looks like a solid axle fitted to the chassis either at the front or the rear, presumably flipping it gets round using fixed rotation motors?