qatmix

Tamiya MB-01 Chassis

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Very interesting. Almost looks like a solid axle fitted to the chassis either at the front or the rear, presumably flipping it gets round using fixed rotation motors?

Yes. From what I can see the same wheels always drive the car. The diff is flipped 180 which changes the direction that the wheels spin, it's a clever way of doing it! 

Then it's a case of flipping a few components that changes which wheels turn. My question would be how solid are the "locked" wheels and do you have to swap out hubs etc?

It does look snazzy but unless it's a five min job to swap, or it's better than either the same price FRD or RWD M-chassis I'm not sure what the market would be, as it might be better to buy a dedicated chassis either way.

The midship rear motor might be a big plus for some however, and I like the wheelbase options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Very interesting. Almost looks like a solid axle fitted to the chassis either at the front or the rear, presumably flipping it gets round using fixed rotation motors?

I'm sure that is a diff (probably same as TT-02), rotating 180 is a clever way to reverse the rotation.

Smart solution from Tamiya to get fwd and rwd from the same box of parts (only servo linkage is different I think). Not a performance chassis but a flexible "powered body mount with wheels".

• Like 1

I think as a car park fun chassis it should be ok. As has been mentioned the position of the motor will make body fitment for some bodies much better especially RWD ones. I think I will certainly buy one and if it is a fairly quick process to change its configuration it will get a lot of body changes!!!

• Like 1

It just occurred to me you could easily make this front-drive and rear-steer, just in case you wanted an RC forklift.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/2/2023 at 11:24 AM, Frog Jumper said:

One chassis to rule them all.
One chassis to find them.
One chassis to bring them all,
and in Tamiya bind them.

Ok I honestly didn't see this, but posted the same in the other thread. :D 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

This is based on nothing but it looks really heavy?

Oddly enough I was thinking the same thing. Kinda like a French Bulldog. I am not sure I am sold yet but remain open minded. 

23 hours ago, Rinskie said:

Oddly enough I was thinking the same thing. Kinda like a French Bulldog. I am not sure I am sold yet but remain open minded. 

It just seems really ‘thick’?

They have only shown the shortest wheelbase, so as you extend it the feel/look might get 'lighter'.  The usual M chassis is a box down the middle with everything stuck to the sides, and this is more like a tray setup.  We will have to see I guess.

• Like 1

If its anything like the M06 (another tray M chassis), that extra thickness is important to make the chassis rigid, but in the case of the M06 at least it does add some weight and reduces ground clearence.

I think Tamiyas trying to move away from the "motorized brick" setup for something with a lower CoG.

Looks like a nifty little thing. Diff is in its own housing which is then bolted into the chassis, neat.

Now we just need Tamiya to get their hands back on the BMW license and produce us another Rover Mini Cooper. When I worked in the shop back in the day the M-03 and M-05 versions were guaranteed sellers. Now the bodyshell's are really hard to come by and almost unobtainable for decent money - which means my own Mini is strictly stuck on the shelf.

Get us a Mini! Oh and in the process - please re-release the E30 M3, again. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Looks like a nifty little thing. Diff is in its own housing which is then bolted into the chassis, neat.

Now we just need Tamiya to get their hands back on the BMW license and produce us another Rover Mini Cooper. When I worked in the shop back in the day the M-03 and M-05 versions were guaranteed sellers. Now the bodyshell's are really hard to come by and almost unobtainable for decent money - which means my own Mini is strictly stuck on the shelf.

Get us a Mini! Oh and in the process - please re-release the E30 M3, again. 

🦄

I am looking forward to adding one to my fleet, but will probably wait a few months to see if it comes with any other bodyshells, and to see what weaknesses are identified and hop-ups are released to address them.

I like having modern shells on newer chassis and older ones on older chassis, so the classic Fiat shell, while attractive, doesn't fit with my fleet structure. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, DaveBuildsRC said:

seems kinda cool. i want to know which hop ups it can use before i purchase one.

I wonder what the white plastic is on the transmission?

Photos of the (unassembled) plastic spare parts for the chassis are out and give a bit of insight to the design: photos: MB-01 plastic parts

51719 MB-01 A-Parts (Uprights)

51720 MB-01 B-Parts (Dampers)

51721 MB-01 C-Parts (Transmission)

51722 MB-01 D-Parts (Gear Box)

51723 MB-01 G-Parts (Gears)

51724 MB-01 M-Parts (Suspension Arms)

51725 MB-01 LD-Parts (Lower Deck)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Photos of the (unassembled) plastic spare parts for the chassis are out and give a bit of insight to the design: photos: MB-01 plastic parts

Looks like Tamiya have finally applied the TT01/2 design philosophy to an M-chassis model, whereas previous models were just an evolution on TL-01/M-03/M-04 suspension components.

• Like 2

I might be mistaken, but it appears to have the provision to fit a diff at both ends. Does this mean that there could be a four-wheel-drive version in the works, or do you reckon this is simply to give more flexibility as to which end gets driven and where the motor is placed relative to the midline?

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I might be mistaken, but it appears to have the provision to fit a diff at both ends. Does this mean that there could be a four-wheel-drive version in the works, or do you reckon this is simply to give more flexibility as to which end gets driven and where the motor is placed relative to the midline?

I don't think so, if you look at the parts images hosted by Mokei Kagaku then the gearbox doesn't have provision for an outdrive at the "pinion end" - rather power is always directed rearwards from the motor back towards the end-bell. In a long wheelbase configuration it might be possible to mount two motors - one in the high-up position and one in the front position, with space for a battery underneath the rear motor. So a combination of the chassis on the right and middle in the below image:

On 3/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, DaveBuildsRC said:

mb_01_layouts_4d3e11cb1d9661fbfc47ca5b0bba2d9fb3b0ff37.jpg

It would make the wee thing incredibly heavy and if using M-chassis wheels it would likely be way too overpowered, but hilarious all the same. I'm more keen to see someone come out with a dual-steering version, since the chassis uses only one type of upright shared between the front and rear as already pointed out. Not a major fan of the ball and socket joint TT02 style pivot connection but if it's smaller then there's less opportunity for slack, right?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I'm more keen to see someone come out with a dual-steering version, since the chassis uses only one type of upright shared between the front and rear as already pointed out. Not a major fan of the ball and socket joint TT02 style pivot connection but if it's smaller then there's less opportunity for slack, right?!

4WS should work as both sets of wheels can be made to turn. Having crab or 4 wheel regular steering could be fun for on road car perhaps? 

I was doing some project planning for the arrival of this model and two things come to mind.

• Servo - will it need a low profile servo? I wouldn't have thought so but any disadvantage to putting one in?
  • Colour - the listing says there is a new blue colour - any news on this? It will be a shame if it isn't available when the car is released. I actually might do this one box art!

On 3/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

Looks like Tamiya have finally applied the TT01/2 design philosophy to an M-chassis model, whereas previous models were just an evolution on TL-01/M-03/M-04 suspension components.

I've been on the fence about that, initially I found the TT-style of just pivoting  the arms in a slot cheap, but it does mean less wear than giant screws that bite into plastic each time you re-install them, and less lost e-clips if you have the titanium hop-up.

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I was doing some project planning for the arrival of this model and two things come to mind.

• Servo - will it need a low profile servo? I wouldn't have thought so but any disadvantage to putting one in?
  • Colour - the listing says there is a new blue colour - any news on this? It will be a shame if it isn't available when the car is released. I actually might do this one box art!

Can't answer ref servo but I'm surprised it says about "New Color" in the listing, I'm almost certain the car shown on at the model show has been painted PS-32 Corsa Grey which has been around for donkeys years. Happy to be proven otherwise, but I'll be disappointed if that's a new shade of effectively the same colour we already have, give us some more metallic options!

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

I've been on the fence about that, initially I found the TT-style of just pivoting  the arms in a slot cheap, but it does mean less wear than giant screws that bite into plastic each time you re-install them, and less lost e-clips if you have the titanium hop-up.

In my experience (that which is not of a hard-core track racer) it's easier to remove steering and suspension slop when you have hinge pins / screws using washers or shims, whilst the TT01/02 slop in the steering is not straightforward to fix out of the box. But for a small M-chassis spec series this would be better in many ways as it's less about setup and more about driving skill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Corsa Grey which has been around for donkeys years. Happy to be proven otherwise, but I'll be disappointed if that's a new shade of effectively the same colour we already have, give us some more metallic options!

Don’t quote me but I think it relates to the cross. The original had a Red Cross this one has a Blue cross. Not sure about the original main body colour that does look the same as the original?

• Like 1