Sign in to follow this  
foz75

More paint colour combination questions

I have a couple of random questions that it would be nice to have answers for!

Will PS55 flat clear on the outside of a shell painted with a metallic on the inside completely hide the metallic effect and make it look just like a standard colour?

What's the closest colour combination to a metallic version of PS3 light blue? I have PS16 metallic blue, and would like something matching but in a "light blue" shade

thanks!

Your first question:  no.   It will become a matte finish of what you paint.  

I don't know the answer to your second question.  But I would try translucent metallic pearl backed by light blue. 

• Thanks 1

PS49 Sky Blue Anodized has a metallic look. Not sure how it compares to PS3 but it's one of my favorite colors.

TURBO OPTIMA PAINTED.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 6:37 PM, Room335 said:

PS49 Sky Blue Anodized has a metallic look. Not sure how it compares to PS3 but it's one of my favorite colors.

I just got some recently to do my Farm King as I do not want to do it in the boring green or usual tractor red, blue, etc...

14 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I just got some recently to do my Farm King as I do not want to do it in the boring green or usual tractor red, blue, etc...

Would be interested to see how that turns out! I had not really paid any attention to PS49 before, but the more examples I see, the more I like it! Would probably back it with silver. 

quick question that appeared in my mind yesterday - has anyone painted a shell in the same colour, then masked off different areas and used different backing colours? for example black and white backing to the different parts of the same main colour? It must have an effect, but is it noticeable? what about more layers of colour in the areas to be backed with black, and fewer colour layers in the areas backed with white?

6 hours ago, foz75 said:

quick question that appeared in my mind yesterday - has anyone painted a shell in the same colour, then masked off different areas and used different backing colours? for example black and white backing to the different parts of the same main colour? It must have an effect, but is it noticeable? what about more layers of colour in the areas to be backed with black, and fewer colour layers in the areas backed with white?

It is definitely noticeable. Even very dark color like TS-55 (almost black blue, otherwise known as midnight blue) will show some light through (I know coz I just did one). How noticeable of course will depend on the top color. I once did a car in orange, backed it in black, and it became brown.