Sogogi

Possible discontinuation of m05?

After the announcement of MB-01, I felt like it maybe the replacement for m05/m06.

I was reading some comments of mb-01 post by Tamiyausa, that is a possibility.

If that happens, I will be sad :(

(attached is screenshot of Tamiya USA’s comment)

12BB43B5-12C0-4682-8A11-5BDC9C999601.jpeg

I think the whole point of the MB-01 chassis is to replace the M-05 and M-06. Can't see why Tamiya would continue to make all three chassis for the same purpose?

I like the M-05, but don't at all like what they've done with the MB-01. I do like the M-07 and M-08, and I guess the MB-01 will just be used as a 'base' to house any new m-chassis bodies that Tamiya produce.

So, MB-01 for the shelf or light car park duties, OR M-07/8 for racing and car park duties I guess...

• Like 2

I think the M07 and M08 will persist as race-only chassis. I was kind of hoping there would be a non-race version of the M07 and M08 that didn't cost a small fortune but that's looking less and less likely.

I do like the MB-01 though. The laterally-mounted motor is really neat. I'll definitely be picking one up. I'm just hoping the MB-01 has all 3 wheelbase options. The M07 I think only has the 225mm and 239mm option, no option for 210.

6 minutes ago, wun1jee said:

I think the M07 and M08 will persist as race-only chassis. I was kind of hoping there would be a non-race version of the M07 and M08 that didn't cost a small fortune but that's looking less and less likely.

I do like the MB-01 though. The laterally-mounted motor is really neat. I'll definitely be picking one up. I'm just hoping the MB-01 has all 3 wheelbase options. The M07 I think only has the 225mm and 239mm option, no option for 210.

MB01 is quoted as have 209mm, 225mm and 239mm wheelbases 

• Like 2

Just now, toyolien said:

MB01 is quoted as have 209mm, 225mm and 239mm wheelbases 

Perfect.

I like the MB01 idea.. like the M01/02 just better.

But more than anything I would like them to do the Abarth 500 in m-chassis size. 

Some of the M05 kits are being discontinued according to Tower Hobbies and Horizon Hobbys website. It'll stink losing the M06 despite its flaws, that was the perfect chassis for the variety old VWs that are built on it.

My big question is if maintenence like accesseing the diff will be easier, since the MB is a tub style chassis.

• Like 1

Luckily my wife bought me a classic Beetle on M06 recently so I will enjoy building that perhaps over the weekend.   :D 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Some of the M05 kits are being discontinued according to Tower Hobbies and Horizon Hobbys website. It'll stink losing the M06 despite its flaws, that was the perfect chassis for the variety old VWs that are built on it.

My big question is if maintenence like accesseing the diff will be easier, since the MB is a tub style chassis.

Oh no. Despite some critics about m06, wanted to at least try one. (Looking for my wallet)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Luckily my wife bought me a classic Beetle on M06 recently so I will enjoy building that perhaps over the weekend.   :D 

You will enjoy driving it too, everything that makes it difficult on the track makes it fun on the parking lot.

My biggest, and really only complaint is the ESC wiring to the motor can be difficult to sort out.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit like the MST TCR-M that can switch between FF, MR and RR, or make it into twin motor 4WD with enough spares or 2 kits.

42 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

You will enjoy driving it too, everything that makes it difficult on the track makes it fun on the parking lot.

My biggest, and really only frequent complaint is the ESC wiring to the motor can be difficult to sort out.

I hope so!  B)   I will only be running a kit included 1060 and silver can, so I hope the wiring portion isn’t too bad.  I don’t care to go crazy fast on the Beetle, more a cruising car to show off its good looks.   

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I hope so!  B)   I will only be running a kit included 1060 and silver can, so I hope the wiring portion isn’t too bad.  I don’t care to go crazy fast on the Beetle, more a cruising car to show off its good looks.   

Good idea, I'd suggest an 18T pinion over the usual 20 though, helps compensate for the heavier chassis and makes it easier to kick the back end lose if you want to drift it.

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

I like the MB01 idea.. like the M01/02 just better.

But more than anything I would like them to do the Abarth 500 in m-chassis size. 

Which Abarth 500 are you thinking of? Tamiya have already done a variety of Abarth and non-Abarth 500s.

6 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Which Abarth 500 are you thinking of? Tamiya have already done a variety of Abarth and non-Abarth 500s.

I forget which one it was, but the sporty looking one.  I missed getting one at the time.  

On 2/3/2023 at 5:44 AM, wun1jee said:

I've only found the base M07 and M08 kit to be no more in cost than a regular M05/6 kit that comes with body and wheels? 

On 2/2/2023 at 12:00 PM, Willy iine said:

Over the weekend?   You're slacking off Willy.   Based on your past build speeds, you'll probably have this one built by 10 o'clock tonight with two matching ones done by brunch on Sunday morning.   :D

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, berman said:

I've only found the base M07 and M08 kit to be no more in cost than a regular M05/6 kit that comes with body and wheels? 

I've only ever seen the Concept and Limited kits which are around $200-$250 without a body or electronics. Since I don't do any serious racing or anything it's kind of a hard sell for me to spend that on a race chassis. Especially when I can usually get an M05 off AMain for right around $100 or sometimes get lightly-uses rollers off EBay for around $50.

That's just me though! For race chassis they're a badword of a good deal but I just don't need a race chassis for the little bit of running I do.

• Like 1

Haha!  Been playing with my Mini-Z's lately.  B)  actually ordered another one today... the EVO red SP RWD version.

These AWD with 8500KV motors go insane speeds..

IMG_2023-2-1-191600.jpg.f34587b15bf33135f9a04f7dd50e18fa.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 8:15 AM, wun1jee said:

I've only ever seen the Concept and Limited kits which are around $200-$250 without a body or electronics. Since I don't do any serious racing or anything it's kind of a hard sell for me to spend that on a race chassis. Especially when I can usually get an M05 off AMain for right around $100 or sometimes get lightly-uses rollers off EBay for around $50.

That's just me though! For race chassis they're a badword of a good deal but I just don't need a race chassis for the little bit of running I do.

Ok, so you must be stateside.

Here in NZ, a standard M07 kit was originally $220nzd (it went up about $20 with the second recent batch) when it came out, and an M08 was about $240. A generic M05 kit with body and wheels is approx $250 (for example, the Yaris kit, or the MX5 kit etc).

I've bought 2x M07s and 2x M08s. For posterity, an M08R is $530 here :ph34r:

All my m-chassis cars don't get used now. I don't really have the time or the interest to, I thoroughly enjoy building and painting them, when I can find the time. 

• Like 2

I think that M05 could continue in the Ra variant. I don't ser MB-01 as being rally capable.

One thing I never understood is, why Tamiya made M05 V2, but then continued with production of V1