alvinlwh

Kyosho NSR500

Taking a break from building cars, I am now building half a car.

i49d0QK.jpeg

I believe this is a rere kit, but *metal version 3rd gear". No idea what that means, also no idea with most of the instructions (I downloaded the PDF first), I decided this will be a slow build. Slow as in hop ups will only be ordered as I got to the steps, try the stock parts, then order as I have no idea what some are for at all. Some metal bits looks different from stock parts.

As it takes time for AT (mostly, I may use RCM if AT does not have what I want/need) to get the stuff to me, it will probably take months to complete. This will help me to spread out the cost as well. I will try and throw as much hopups (mostly GPM) at it as possible. Finally, color scheme for the hopups will be titanium.

9hzpXyq.jpeg

Right off the bat, here are the hopups I already acquired before I started.

From the top, left to right

Hobbywing 1625 ESC - this requires a smaller ESC and 1625 is my go to for 380 and smaller motors now.

Flysky FS-IA6 RX - While 6 channels are not needed, this is their smallest AFHDS 2A RX, and yes, this kit also has a smaller Rx requirement.

AliExpress servo arm - this is in bright silver instead of titanium as I bought it well before everything else. May change for a titanium one on the future.

GPM front chassis holder - the names don't really help with telling me what they really are for but "front chassis holder" sounds important so I got it. Only needed much later in the build.

GPM steering post - steering, sounds important, and bearings. Hmmm...

GPM steering assembly - this appears to be the main steering pivot, probably important.

Surpass hobby mini(?) servo - smaller sized servo required too. 25G on the label but specs say 2.3lg. Not sure where is going on here. Got the plastic gears one should have gotten the metal gears one 

AliExpress crash bars/training wheels - looks nicer then the kit coat hangers ones.

• Like 6

I’ll be interested to follow this, having bought one recently. Check this build out from 2014, when these bikes were re-released for the first time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, futureworks said:

Check this build out from 2014

Thanks for sharing that. I see that Mr crispy was also annoyed by the poor moulding and Kyosho's choice of material too almost 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Starting the build off with the head stock (? IIRC from my motorcycling days), I have a GPM one with bearings. I feel that this is an important part as all steering revolves around it. As noted in Mr crispy's 2014 post, the moulding quality is rather poor (like my rere Frog) and cleaning up is a real pain. Normal filing do not work too well as it is more of a rubbery material rather than a hard plastic.

dJEqiB1.jpeg

I am rather surprised that Kyosho uses such a soft material for such an important part. Trying to get the stock steering post through the bearings is a pain. The poor moulding causes the whole thing to jam requiring a lot of force. I was in fact, stupid for doing this, read on.

U4FfbYY.jpeg

This is what the steering assembly looks like. There is a spring to the back where the linkage is, acting as a servo saver. This thing has a direct drive servo arm as the servo drives two different components, something I cannot make out when reading the PDF and only clicked when I started building it. Which is why I said I will buy hopups a step at a time.

The steering assembly is screwed on to one half of the top frame. The GPM part fitted nicely.

The steering assembly is screwed on to one half of the top frame. The GPM part fitted nicely.

1KTqGFP.jpeg

Next up is the swing arm. Really not impressed by the mould quality and choice of material here. Soft plastic that twists? Really? So off to AT for a metal one, one of the most expensive hopup for this bike I think.

mm1i3MJ.jpeg

Anyhow, there are quite a few metal bars going into this part, one for reinforcement, one for the shock (friction) and one for the pivot of the swing arm.

P4ycqbW.jpeg

Both halves of the swing arm done up and inserted into the chassis. The fit is terrible (forgot the pictures, will get some when I rip it out to replace with a metal one) due to multiple sink marks (IIRC that's what they are called). Also on order is that almost L shaped plastic which holds the pivot pin in.seems a really soft piece for such an important role.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I was in fact, stupid for doing this, read on.

YZGeIz4.jpeg

Yes I was being stupid, I in fact have an entire steering upgrade and I try to jam the poor fitting stock parts onto the bearings. I had forgotten about the hopup steering post! I had to force the bearings off the stock parts which did not fare too well. Anyway, the upgraded kit actually comes with 3 springs strength for the servo saver. I went with the strongest as I do not expect this to go running into a wall too much.

heVabYf.jpeg

That is the entire steering assembly completed and now it is nice and smooth. The poor moulding of the stock parts just rubs and catch on everything.

wMq4yTj.jpeg

Putting the chassis halves together again, it is already recognisable as a bike. Will of course have to take it apart again when the GPM swing arm arrives. Now I am thinking I should have ordered the oil shocks with the swing arms.

There will be no more build until the swing arm had arrived as I do not want to undo everything to get at it. So test fitting of the electronics. This is important as there is very little room to play with in this.

oxXTQZx.jpeg

Fitted the AliExpress servo arm to the little servo. It is the wrong color as I bought it well before any other hopups. At least it sits in the centre correctly at neutral trim 

YxZEcFY.jpeg

And the ESC is taped to the RX which is then taped to the underside of the frame.

IxGu526.jpeg

I had test fitted the underpan to ensure they fit correctly.

And that's it for the moment. Will be a few weeks before the swing arm arrives from AT that I can proceed with this build.

• Like 3

I love how you're flying a bit blind on this one @alvinlwh👍😂 I also like how you started off this thread saying you were buying hopups as you go and then I scroll down a little bit further to find a photo with like 6 Hopups in it acquired already!😄

I have been very tempted by one of these myself tbh, so I'll be interested to see what you make of the build and your thoughts on how it runs as well bud🙂

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

then I scroll down a little bit further to find a photo with like 6 Hopups in it acquired already!

Yes, those are hopups for part of step one which I kind of know what I am getting by looking at the trees through the bags. What I did not realise by looking is how soft and poor fitting the parts are. I mean a bendy swing arm? Any 1:1 biker will know that is a bad thing. So I installed the stock parts and decided I needed the metal one, and ordered it last night - the "as I go part". 😁 Then there is this "Motor Connecting Mount" which does not look like the stock part on the instructions nor (at the moment) seem to be holding the motor. But since it is connected to the swing arm, I decided it is good to have. What I forgot is to order an oil shock (single) last night and may do it with RCM and bite the VAT bullet. Only thing is I am unsure of GPM oil shocks quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

That is far too expensive unfortunately.

I bough pretty much all the hop ups from Banzai hobby. I've used them before (years ago) - the lowest prices by miles I've seen anywhere, but only really worth it if you need a good bundle of parts as the shipping will be c £20 or so (their base cost).

Rear damper is here https://banzaihobby.com/Kyosho-GPW2B

All the Kyosho hop up and other parts they have for the bike  https://banzaihobby.com/#/dffullscreen/query=Kyosho bike&filters[categories][0]=Kyosho RC Motorbike&query_name=match_and

Plus I picked up one of these - looked like an interesting option: https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-aluminum-wheel-set-for-1-8-kyosho-motorcycles-xs-om27044-00109741?search=kyosho motorcycle&page=4

9 minutes ago, futureworks said:

I bough pretty much all the hop ups from Banzai hobby. I've used them before (years ago) - the lowest prices by miles I've seen anywhere, but only really worth it if you need a good bundle of parts as the shipping will be c £20 or so (their base cost).

Rear damper is here https://banzaihobby.com/Kyosho-GPW2B

I actually went there, saw their postage costs, and went off to RCJaz instead. Had not bought from PJ for a year since they stopped regular airmail to the UK. Making a big purchase will not be quite possible since I am doing a buy as I go build.

Enjoy the build @alvinlwh, my best advice is to paint as much as possible before final assembly. Including the wheels (which I missed and had to disassemble).

I also had to do some Dremel work in the battery compartment, to get all of the wiring to fit properly. Good luck!

kyosho hor painting.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I have been very tempted by one of these myself tbh, so I'll be interested to see what you make of the build and your thoughts on how it runs as well bud🙂

You will not be disappointed in the build. Totally unique experience and very rewarding. Worth it alone just to see the rider-movement linkage come together, and to watch him lean with the steering for the first time.

• Like 1

@Room335 did you spray a base layer of white all over (TS-26 maybe), then mask and do the blue (I believe TS-15 is the nearest to Rothmans blue)..? I’m just working out how best to approach mine, and had read elsewhere that it’s a good idea to paint first, then build 👍

@futureworks Exactly right, everything in white first, then masked to do the blue. I didn’t have any TS paint on hand, so I picked up some hardware store spray paint for plastics. Worked out really well. 

• Thanks 1

So with @Room335 advice to paint first, I gathered up the paint required since it will be a long few weeks before any hopups arrive.

RY7YpCv.jpg

Hopefully these will be enough for a 1:8 body, usually they will be plenty for a few 1:12.

For the frame, I will probably not paint as the soft plastic material will not take paint too well, usually.

Quick question, paint the white and blue, I get it. The words that goes over the blue bits, they are separate on the sticker sheet? I had not checked yet and the box is in the shed at the moment.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

So with @Room335 advice to paint first, I gathered up the paint required since it will be a long few weeks before any hopups arrive.

RY7YpCv.jpg

Hopefully these will be enough for a 1:8 body, usually they will be plenty for a few 1:12.

For the frame, I will probably not paint as the soft plastic material will not take paint too well, usually.

Quick question, paint the white and blue, I get it. The words that goes over the blue bits, they are separate on the sticker sheet? I had not checked yet and the box is in the shed at the moment.

Yes, words and fine details are mostly decals. Couple of small items get painted black (mufflers, visor trim, knee pads), and as I recall 1 or 2 pieces call for gold or gunmetal. You can really go crazy with detailed painting if that’s your thing. I think it’s more critical to be patient with the decals…the helmet alone has 10!

1 hour ago, Room335 said:

Yes, words and fine details are mostly decals. Couple of small items get painted black (mufflers, visor trim, knee pads), and as I recall 1 or 2 pieces call for gold or gunmetal. You can really go crazy with detailed painting if that’s your thing. I think it’s more critical to be patient with the decals…the helmet alone has 10!

Hang on, are they decals as in real water slide decals or stickers? Great if they are decals then I can use decal set solution to make them conform to the curves.

Not much movement except that the parts to be painted had been given a bath.

zBl6LIH.jpg

Sorting out the paint for it, this is far larger than my usual 1:12 bikes so much more paint than what I have on had is needed. It seems like UK is having a shortage of Mr Color. Managed to order 2 bottles of C65 and C156 each together with what I already have on hand hopefully should be enough.

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Hang on, are they decals as in real water slide decals or stickers? Great if they are decals then I can use decal set solution to make them conform to the curves.

Apologies for causing any confusion, they are stickers. I suddenly realize that I use the words “decals” and “stickers” interchangeably. Decals just sound much more hobby-grade 😀

1 hour ago, Room335 said:

Apologies for causing any confusion, they are stickers. I suddenly realize that I use the words “decals” and “stickers” interchangeably. Decals just sound much more hobby-grade 😀

Yes, I dragged the box out of the shed to wash the plastic before painting and realised it. Also saw what you meant, I always thought the blue are stickers but whole thing needs painting. Just dismantled the frame as well to paint it silver, no matter as I will have to do it anyway to fit the metal swing arm.

Will update as I go along.

I built one of these in 2018... i like the repsol colors, so i made my own stickers, but the major colors (blue and orange) are actually paint.  I built it bone stock other than the paint job.  i did use the same quicrun mini esc that you are using... i do not remember what steering servo i used, but i can check and see if i can figure it out if you would like to know.  i also remember that i am using a tactic micro 2 channel receiver, and a 1300 mah 2s lipo.

nsr.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tim.senecal said:

i do not remember what steering servo i used, but i can check and see if i can figure it out if you would like to know.  i also remember that i am using a tactic micro 2 channel receiver, and a 1300 mah 2s lipo.

Servo I am fine. It just needs a mini servo which is commonly available.

The Carson nano Rx can also fit in there but is far more expensive compared to a Flysky one, which is why I used the IA6. In fact, now that I had stated on it, I find that there is in fact more room than I thought in that engine bay. In fact, I think it can fit more in there than SU-01 chassis.

I am planning on a 1600mah lipo, my usual go to for small cars. If that don't fit, it will be a 1000mah one then.