alvinlwh

Kyosho NSR500

You're doing really good work on this model. I finished mine a few months ago. It's a stock build, only upgrade is bearings. I'm happy with how the model looks and it runs really nice. I was a little nervous the first time I ran it, as I didn't want to scratch it up in a crash. I gave it a little shove with my right hand, as I used my left hand to pull the trigger, and away it went, so smooth. I run mine on a tennis court, a smooth asphalt surface is best.

20230225_182554.jpg

• Like 3

Got a delivery from WSM, decided to order from the UK instead of HK for the pinions as I cannot be bothered to wait someone. Keep forgetting to add them to my RCJ or RCM orders.

NZ6mjDV.jpg

Decided to go with metal pinions as I simply cannot stand the soft plastic pinions, what was Kyosho thinking? Also, they are extremely difficult to get on probably due to misaligned moulds. The large one will not go on correctly, the middle one will not go on at all and only the small one can. These metal pinions are lovely and super smooth. They go onto the shaft with the tiniest grab screw I had even seen, just the size of a large grain of sand. I am not even sure what size they are but luckily an Allen key is included in the package.

I decided to go for the middle sized pinion, something I intended to do with the stock ones but cannot get it on.

2PJ02bb.jpg

No problems here!

I have the "middle" idle gear from AT on the way, I went for a GPM aluminium one as I figured a steel one will chew up the pinion. At least the idle gear is easier to obtain so it matter less if it got chewed up by the final gear.

• Like 2

So got a big delivery from AT allowing me to move forward rapidly with the build.

F8jSogT.jpeg

Footrest brackets, oval washers (again), bearings (not for this), rear car plate (???), Alum main gear (middle) and seat mount(?). GPM have absolutely no idea how to name their parts! 🤣

Opened up the gearbox, again, replaced the plastic middle gear with an alum one. I figured that going with alum is safer on the pinion than the steel one. Red because that's the only one I can get, at least it is hidden so will not spoil my color scheme.

KjXIFm7.jpeg

With the gearbox firmly in place now, I can get the battery tray in place. It is attached to with these GPM brackets featuring a nice metal roller for the front wheel. The front wheel will come into contact with the frame under full compression and the roller allows the wheel to continue spinning instead of the bike doing a stopie.

SV2ZO3H.jpeg

QDj6SBu.jpeg

A copper pipe goes into the wheel and acts as the wheel axle. If built stock, it need greasing up but since I am using bearings, it is good to go 

uu1fIX1.jpeg

Ok looking like a bike now. Point to note is the rear stand is made out of the crappy soft plastic, meaning the bike falls off the stand easily. Can't say I am impressed by Kyosho's choice of materials throughout this build.

nixzMTr.jpeg

cnw3t4O.jpeg

• Like 2

This part is called "seat mount" by GPM but it really is what drives the movement of the rider, kind of like his hips. I picked black as they are not in display and it will be strange for him to have titanium hip bones (well, maybe not that strange for bikers).

IxG1MgM.jpeg

I forgot the rear fender/hugger so I installed it now. Will probably change for a metal one in the future. Also seen is the footrest installed with the alum bracket.

S1Tp3UY.jpeg

The "rear car plate" or what effectively replace the under seat exhaust pipes, a completely unnecessary upgrade.

kIJ16hg.jpeg

Tried to install the tank seat piece and find it impossible. Turns out the servo bracket is too high for the tank. So I had to chop them off.

w7ByHkP.jpeg

Tank on and next GPM piece is this which joins the "hips" together, kind of like the riders pervic bone. Again black here as it is internal.

tk1JiGt.jpeg

Very much looking like a bike now, in fact a road bike.

IFhINHU.jpeg

And a quick test of the electrics.

Everything seems to move as they should. It is on the stock plastic final drive sprocket but I got a steel one on order from RCJ. Can see the plastic one last for too long with the steel chain.

The 1000mah battery fits into the battery tray nicely, with room for me to tape the ESC switch 

OeqO7fz.jpeg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Room335 said:

GPM makes a stand if you don’t like the stock one 

Yes I know, it is on my AT wish list. Not a priority buy just yet as it can be replaced any time. I had already spent over £250 on hopups for this, the easy to change ones that will not hold up the build will come later. If Kyosho used proper plastic, I will probably not need so many hopups.

I think Kyosho used softer, more flexible plastic for this kit so the parts would be less likely to crack / break if or when the bike hits something. Fortunately, I have not tested this idea on my model  🙂

30 minutes ago, Rentaroo said:

I think Kyosho used softer, more flexible plastic for this kit so the parts would be less likely to crack / break if or when the bike hits something. Fortunately, I have not tested this idea on my model  🙂

Problem is they used it on parts that really should not be soft. The gearbox and swing arm? Really?

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Problem is they used it on parts that really should not be soft. The gearbox and swing arm? Really?

Swingarm flexibility is actually a good thing. It helps the rear tire maintain contact with the ground when the bike is leaning over in turns.

I have read that engineers who design full size racing bikes take this into account when considering materials for rear swingarms.

The rear suspension on this model, even with an upgraded shock, is still pretty crude (and stiff). The little bit of extra flexibility (lateral) in the swingarm probably helps with rear wheel traction.

Agree about the gearbox, not sure why it's a little flexy. Maybe it helps absorb driveline lash between the rear wheel / sprocket, chain, and front sprocket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rentaroo said:

Swingarm flexibility is actually a good thing. It helps the rear tire maintain contact with the ground when the bike is leaning over in turns.

I have read that engineers who design full size racing bikes take this into account when considering materials for rear swingarms.

I have read that too. It is fascinating when you think about it!

3 minutes ago, Rentaroo said:

Really? Personally, I will be really worried if the swingarm on my 1:1 bike is flexible.

Ok I look into the matter after reading this and it seems that this flexible swingarm thing is relatively modern. The last time I owned a bike was 2 decades ago and it was a road bike not a race bike and back then it was all about rigidity.

https://motodna.com/2012/08/22/flex-or-not-flex/

Oh one more item I forgot to mention, that rear sprocket. I am sure the steel chain will chew it up in no time which is why a steel replacement is on the way.

24 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Really? Personally, I will be really worried if the swingarm on my 1:1 bike is flexible.

Ok I look into the matter after reading this and it seems that this flexible swingarm thing is relatively modern. The last time I owned a bike was 2 decades ago and it was a road bike not a race bike and back then it was all about rigidity.

https://motodna.com/2012/08/22/flex-or-not-flex/

Oh one more item I forgot to mention, that rear sprocket. I am sure the steel chain will chew it up in no time which is why a steel replacement is on the way.

I think that really applies to modern MotoGP machines... I mean the guys are practically dragging their elbows on the track now! :D so the rear suspension is of practically no use while they are cornering like that. I think the really nice documentary "Faster" was mentioning something about swingarm flex too? Been a while since I watched it.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely @alvinlwh, will you post a running video once it's done?

44 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I think that really applies to modern MotoGP machines... I mean the guys are practically dragging their elbows on the track now!

Elbow on the track is common place now, some are almost getting their shoulders down now, it's insane and amazing!🏍️😎

• Like 1

Had to pop the handlebars so I have to pop the tank to get them on. The handlebars in fact attach to the frame and not the forks like a real bike.

nkARdsJ.jpeg

Handlebars attached and tank reattached.

xKYj7XD.jpeg

Next little thing to finish up, hooking the exhaust up.

A4mwpj6.jpeg

Instead of the paperclips crash bars, I got these rollers.

rS8pu8t.jpeg

Took a while to figure out the bast place to install them and finally decided on the front hole on the upper fairing where the stock bars will exit.

U3Us8yJ.jpeg

Upper fairing installed.

hVHWPEJ.jpeg

The bike full lean over.

P2Mk0rr.jpeg

The bike itself effectively completed.

4QP6AIQ.jpeg

The legs of the rider installed.

EfXHZf2.jpeg

And a quick test.

And front body installed.

kiTf66u.jpeg

Battery tray fits my 1000mah perfectly.

fLeFVJ5.jpeg

And a final check.

Now just need to find a suitable place to test it.

• Like 7

Really appreciate you documenting this, I recently picked up a kit and was able to grab some of the Kyosho upgraded parts as well (front fork, rear shock, BB motor, metal transmission). I'd be super interested in hearing your thoughts on what was really necessary to upgrade vs what is just "nice to have". Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Tekjunke said:

I'd be super interested in hearing your thoughts on what was really necessary to upgrade vs what is just "nice to have". Thanks again. 

I will be publishing a list of all my upgrades soon, however, I will say the essentials are:

Everything in the gearbox, don't bother with the soft stock gears and upgrade the gearbox itself. The keyhole shaped metal motor plate can probably stay and also the stock last gear where the chain goes around. Change the rear sprocket as well. Previous build mentioned oval washers.

Personally, I will upgrade the swingarm but I am actually not sure if the rear shock really needs to be an oil shock.

I am not sure about the Xtra Racing front forks I got as they are extremely stiff. I am going to build up the stock sets to see how they are like.

I consider all steering related parts essential upgrade, again did to the poor materials. Not sure if the tilting parts for the rider are important or not but I just went and upgraded them anyway.

Consider upgrading the front steering hub. GPM calls it "steering post with springs and bearings".

• Thanks 1