Sogogi

Brushed motors other than tamiya?

I really like tamiya’s brushed motor offering. That made me wonder if there are other manufacturers that still produce non-crawler brushed motors… I remember there were bunch of companies making brushed motors before brushless became mainstream. 
(I looked up some trinity motors and.. wow used ones are very $$)

Yeah Racing, LRP,  Gool RC, Kyosho, Reedy is the first that fall into my head. 

The Yeah Racing and Gool RC appair to be the same motor with different sticker. I have a couple of the Yeah Racing Hackmoto and they are good for the cost. The Yeah Racing 23T is allthough not so agile as a Tamiya SS, but adjusting the timing helps. Here in Norway you get almost 3 YR for one SS, so good value if you ask me. 

Like you I'm a brushed motor fan, and from what I can gather LRP and Holmes Hobbies are the only other unique brushed motors available.  There are then a bunch of people selling rebadged versions of the same motors - Reedy, Hobbywing, Yeah Racing, Gool RC etc.  Then there's the cheap stuff such as Core RC and HPI.

Kyosho only make one brushed motor now, the 30T Le Mans 490.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Team Powers still sell the Iconic Tamiya spec brushed motor. I have them in all my touring cars. They are about 17t. Really nice motors.

I can second this - had a Team Powers motor in the King Cab I restored and it was surprisingly rapid in that. Very reasonably priced too from what I recall

• Like 1

Those cheap black can rebuildable motors that are rebadged everywhere are not bad, but not great either. You get what you pay for, and they are a great value. Decently fast, but the lower-turn arms don't have larger wire to compensate, and are lacking torque. All of them are much better than a silvercan, but not quite to the same level as a Tamiya or other vintage brands. The Reedy Radon black cans appear to have upgraded or rewound armatures, as theirs have the correct size wire with a corresponding power increase. Just make sure to get the 3-slot version of any motor, as the 5-slot is for crawling and has much lower RPM.

• Like 2

Holmes Hobbies has some nice inexpensive sealed can motors in a variety of turn counts under their trailmaster and retro sport lines. I've used them in a few of my cars and I've been very happy with their performance and quality. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Like you I'm a brushed motor fan, and from what I can gather LRP and Holmes Hobbies are the only other unique brushed motors available.  There are then a bunch of people selling rebadged versions of the same motors - Reedy, Hobbywing, Yeah Racing, Gool RC etc.  Then there's the cheap stuff such as Core RC and HPI.

Kyosho only make one brushed motor now, the 30T Le Mans 490.

Do you happen to know why holmes hobbies motors are popular especially for crawlers? Kind of curious about their normal ish (21/27turn) regular motors…

2 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Do you happen to know why holmes hobbies motors are popular especially for crawlers? Kind of curious about their normal ish (21/27turn) regular motors…

Not sure.  I can't find out much about them e.g. speed, torque etc only turn counts.

They seem cheap enough but without trying one I've no idea how good they are.

1 minute ago, Twinfan said:

Not sure.  I can't find out much about them e.g. speed, torque etc only turn counts.

They seem cheap enough but without trying one I've no idea how good they are.

Ah ha, since price looks much better than other models(crawler motors are expensive?!) , I may try one out. 

3 hours ago, Sogogi said:

They are popular because they are bombproof! No secret just built to a better standard/tolerances than some of the ebay black can specials. Think Tamiya motor quality.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:48 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have run at LRP 12x2 brushed in on road racing and they are really nice.

Hi! So I guess you recommend this motor right? Do you have any problems yet?

Than you in advance!

D.

1 hour ago, TamiyaD said:

Hi! So I guess you recommend this motor right? Do you have any problems yet?

Than you in advance!

D.

I only ran it for about 15 on road heats before I sold the whole car, but it was nice whilst I had it. I used it to overcome the incredibly short gearing in the TA02 before they rereleased the high speed gearset. 12x2 is very, very fast in anything with sensible gearing though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I only ran it for about 15 on road heats before I sold the whole car, but it was nice whilst I had it. I used it to overcome the incredibly short gearing in the TA02 before they rereleased the high speed gearset. 12x2 is very, very fast in anything with sensible gearing though. 

Thanks a lot for the info!!:) I am planning a 17T for an XV-01!

• Like 1

I learned that some orion 10t spec motors are available on ebay, so grabbed a couple. Something about brushed motors..