Gabranth

Cleaning Fluid?

I was thinking on getting some cleaning solution that can clean (and prevent) rust, or dirt from hard to clean parts like ball bearings etc. I've heard people using brake cleaner or WD-40 but I don't know how safe they're for plastics. Because I don't want to keep fully disassembling the car every time I do minor clean up just for one part or section.

I saw this and wondering what the thing is and how effective it is as the description is pretty vague. This being Tamiya branded made me think it should be safe for plastics used in their RC, but then again I don't want something weak or less effective than other cleaning solution on the market.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87039/index.htm

What's your thought about this? What do you guys used for maintenance? Do we need multiple specialized products or is there one-for-all magic solution for general purpose?

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

https://docs.rs-online.com/4cc1/0900766b806dc1a3.pdf

• Like 1

I have an old toothbrush which has been soaked in 3-in-1 oil and then left to dry.  I use it to brush off my cars when they get dirty.  The oily brush leaves enough of a film to prevent most rusting.  Not sure if this is a good idea but I’ve been doing it forever without any visible damage…

I used to spray out my wheel bearings with wd40 and then regrease then, but I’ve gotten lazy and now just replace them when they get bad.