TamiyaD

XV-01 brushed motor

Hi fellow Tamiya friends,

I am an owner of a new XV-01 and I have a HW 1060 brushed esc laying around so I am thinking of a good brushed motor.

I have done my research and I concluded that I have the following options in terms of prices:

1) Cheap Chinese motors (Surpass, CoolRC, Tuned Machine, Injora, Super stock pro motor etc.; they seem all identical with different decals around 10 - 20 euros) (13T-17 T)

2) LRP v10 spec.6 or Team Orion method pro (25 - 32 euros) (13T-17 T)

3) Tamiya Torque Tuned or Super Sport (15 - 35 euros)

4) Tamiya Super Stock (from 55 euros)

Are you aware of any other quality brushed motor? 

Does anyone have experience on any of these motors? 

I ll run the car in a short backyard gravel track so I am more interested in acceleration not top speed. How many turns (T) do you recommend taking also into account the character of the car (rally)?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers DL. 

As you have the ESC to run it, I'd get a Tamiya Super Stock or LRP v10.

Another option would be a Holmes Hobbies Retro Sport.

I wouldn't think you'd need to go lower than 19T.

• Like 1

Another vote for Tamiya Super Stock, they are quality motors

• Like 1

The super stock motors are much faster than the 23T would suggest. I’d go for a super stock BZ in the rally chassis

• Like 1

Personally I think the Tamiya super stock motors are terrible value and you are half way to the price of a hobbywing brushless combo which will give more performance with zero maintenance.

I buy sealed can brushed motors for £10-£15 if I want to stick to brushed, if your garden track is that small I think a torque tuned or Sport tuned would be fine, really anything faster than about 20 turns for a brushed motor becomes high maintenance and just isn't worth it when brushless is so accessible.

• Like 2

I'd go for a Torque Tuned, they're cheap and a good way to just dial in your car, easily more reliable than the Chinese stuff.

Anything lower than 20 turns won't have decent torque for track use and will run hot.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Personally I think the Tamiya super stock motors are terrible value and you are half way to the price of a hobbywing brushless combo which will give more performance with zero maintenance.

I buy sealed can brushed motors for £10-£15 if I want to stick to brushed, if your garden track is that small I think a torque tuned or Sport tuned would be fine, really anything faster than about 20 turns for a brushed motor becomes high maintenance and just isn't worth it when brushless is so accessible.

Terrible value?  Shopping around you can get them for around £30-40 in the UK, or £18 from Plaza Japan if you're ordering other things.

I've got a couple of brushless motors but I don't really see what all the fuss is about.  If you have several cars, and therefore the motor isn't getting 10 battery packs through it a day, a brushed motor will last for ages.

Some of us just like the nostalgia of brushed motors I guess, I find them much more appealing.  Similarly for 1:1 cars, I love a naturally aspirated engine paired with a manual transmission.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

Terrible value?  Shopping around you can get them for around £30-40 in the UK, or £18 from Plaza Japan if you're ordering other things.

They are great value since at Europe price, they are half the price of a brushless combo and at far East price, they are a quarter.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind responses. They are really helpful! 

So, I think that we all agree that the super cheap Chinese motors are not an option. Also a very small T (<20)  is also not an option, at least for the small garden track. 

I really like the supper stock motors but I would agree that their price is a bit salty (I can't find anything below 45 € plus shipping costs at least in the euro area where I can shop). And the other thing about ss is that it has not ball bearings. I would expect ball bearings at this price.

On the other hand it's performance is amazing and comparable to 13T - 17. 5 T brushless motors (there are some realted videos on YouTube). 

Going brushless is not an option at the moment. But if I went brushless I would choose only a sensored combo for a slow track. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

On the other hand it's performance is amazing and comparable to 13T - 17. 5 T brushless motors (there are some realted videos on YouTube). 

Not sure if you have seen this one.

They are very close to 10.5T.

• Like 2

Just now, alvinlwh said:

Not sure if you have seen this one.

They are very close to 10.5T.

Yes this one! You are right! 

3 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

Yes this one! You are right! 

Enjoy! I started with one TZ and ended up getting all of them, even though they are all broadly the same.

• Like 1

10.5 isn't even close to a 23t brushed, much more power with the brushless. 

Anyone who thinks they are comparable has bought a rubbish motor or doesn't know how to gear them.

17.5 would be a closer match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For a little garden track I think a Torque Tuned or Sport Tuned would be great. When I started racing on road I used a torque tuned to ease my way in and it was surpringly punchy. Sport Tuned seems to be a little step up from that and for not too much money. 

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the Torque Tuned motor if running the TBLE on a re-re kit.  They work great with longer gearing, unlike the Sport Tuned which can get quite hot unless geared down a bit which isn't always possible.

On a newer kit, and with a suitable ESC as the OP has, I'd just go straight for a Super Stock.  Not much point buying a Torque Tuned at £10-15 or a Sport Tuned at £20-25 when you can get an RZ/TZ/BZ for £30-£35.

• Like 2

Have you tried the car in stock version on your track? I run mine, mostly on the small "racing by post" tracks completely stock on 2S Lipo and it's a blast. You don't need so much power to slide the XV-01 through corners IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

Have you tried the car in stock version on your track? I run mine, mostly on the small "racing by post" tracks completely stock on 2S Lipo and it's a blast. You don't need so much power to slide the XV-01 through corners IMO.

Thank you for your response. No I haven't tried it yet and you are possibly right! But sooner or later I am gonna upgrade the motor so any opinion is welcome!

• Like 1

For now mine has the stock motor and I really enjoy it as is but I also have an Absima eco 10 brushless combo (3600kv) aside to put in there as I'm sure the chassis can handle that kind of power. Big question is can I? Probably will try to fit the brushless before summer. I get a lot more around big wide open spaces during summer than I do now.

• Like 1

Given it is an enclosed chassis (poor heat dissipation)  I would run stock 540 series motors or just go brushless.   I will be building mine soon.. 

• Like 2

I've used the Surpass, GoolRC, Hobbywing and Austar motors. Honestly, they're all good and very cheap. But I went the brushless route with my XV-01 and will never go back to brushed again with this kit. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I've used the Surpass, GoolRC, Hobbywing and Austar motors. Honestly, they're all good and very cheap. But I went the brushless route with my XV-01 and will never go back to brushed again with this kit. 

Thank you for your reply! I am a bit surprised that you are satisfied with the cheap Chinese motors. How many turns have tried on the xv-01?

I agree with all of you on the brushless motors. I myself run my TLR 2wd buggy with 10.5 T sensored brushless combo and we also have sensorless motors on my sons Traxxas. 

In the future I will certainly go sensored brushless (17 T) on the xv-01 (there are awesome rally videos in youtube with HW Quiqrun sensored 17 T on the xv-01).

But for now, given that I have already a good brushed esc, I was hoping for extra power giving only a few euros. 

I can buy a Surpass brushed motor for 16 € which is very tempting but I am afraid it will last for a week or so. On the other hand, a Tamiya super stock costs 45 € (+ 10 € shipping costs at least in the euro area) as much as a sensored HW Quickrun. 

I think that a good compromise for the time being is the LRP v10 spec.6, which I can buy locally for 30 €. 

Has anyone heard about this motor? It is a 2021 version and it seems well build. 

Thank you all for kind messages😉

3 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

extra power giving only a few euros

Euros eh? Try one of the Absima ones, they should be cheap and easy to get in Europe. Maybe a 17T one.

• Like 1

I've got an Absima ECO 18T and it was, and feels, cheap.  The LRP is streets ahead in quality (I have one of those too waiting to go in a kit).

From what you're saying TamiyaD, I'd give the LRP a go.  They're German I believe which is why you can get them nicely priced in the EU  :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I've got an Absima ECO 18T and it was, and feels, cheap.  The LRP is streets ahead in quality (I have one of those too waiting to go in a kit).

From what you're saying TamiyaD, I'd give the LRP a go.  They're German I believe which is why you can get them nicely priced in the EU  :)

Yes Twinfan this makes sense.

I am thinking of a 17T which has 26,500 rpm as the Tamiya super stock (at least this is what the manufacturer says)!