TamiyaD

XV-01 brushed motor

Sounds like fun!  Unfortunately LRP don't publish the torque figures for their motors but I wonder if the 19T might be better for you?  It should have a bit more torque which would suit a 4WD chassis better?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TamiyaD said:

Thank you for your reply! I am a bit surprised that you are satisfied with the cheap Chinese motors. How many turns have tried on the xv-01?

I have several 17t, 21t, 23t & 27t to all of which work very well. I've used the 21t & 17t for the XV-01. Currently, my XV-01 is equipped with Surpass Rocket 21.5t V3 motor. I'm very happy with it. My other FF-03 also uses Rocket V3 but 17.5t and have a brand new spare 17.5t V5.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I have several 17t, 21t, 23t & 27t to all of which work very well. I've used the 21t & 17t for the XV-01. Currently, my XV-01 is equipped with Surpass Rocket 21.5t V3 motor. I'm very happy with it. My other FF-03 also uses Rocket V3 but 17.5t and have a brand new spare 17.5t V5.

Thank you for your reply!  Surpass Rocket 21.5t V3 motor is a good choice for a brushless sensored motor! I guess you agree that a rally car needs a sensored motor to have a better response is sharp turns right?

Ok now we have a trilemma!! (taking into the Chinese motors)

7 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

Thank you for your reply!  Surpass Rocket 21.5t V3 motor is a good choice for a brushless sensored motor! I guess you agree that a rally car needs a sensored motor to have a better response is sharp turns right?

Ok now we have a trilemma!! (taking into the Chinese motors)

Yes. There's so much more you can do with sensored BL motors. Adjust boost, turbo, timing, temp cut off, etc. The Boost and turbo is what I really enjoy the most plus the low maintenance of using BL motors.

Going back to brushed motors, I do like Tamiya, Kyosho, LRP, Orion, and other branded motors of course. But the cheap Chinese counterparts will be fine for rally and bashing without spending too much. Plus these motors are much better then any silver can or Torque Tuned ones to be honest.

• Like 1

To add a couple of practical considerations...

Space in the XV01 is quite tight. I haven't built mine yet, but my understanding is that getting an ESC with a fan (ie a brushless ESC) in there can be quite tricky. Not impossible, plenty have done it, but it is more work. Not a problem though, if that's your thing. 

Whereas the footprint and height of the Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC are much smaller, and it will fit with ease.  I wrestled with this issue with my DF03 (also a very tight space) and in the end ditched brushless and used the Hobbywing 1060 and a SS BZ. It's smooth as silk and fast as bejaysus 

And second...doesn't the XV-01 require longer motor leads? I think the silver can that comes with the kit has longer leads than a 'standard' silver can to cover the distance between the motor and the ESC? So you need to bear that in mind when choosing a motor, and ideally be able to solder your own leads (I can't!) or buy motor extension cables 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TamiyaD said:

Yes Twinfan this makes sense.

I am thinking of a 17T which has 26,500 rpm as the Tamiya super stock (at least this is what the manufacturer says)!

RPM to turns, I don't think anyone beats Tamiya's Zs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

To add a couple of practical considerations...

Space in the XV01 is quite tight. I haven't built mine yet, but my understanding is that getting an ESC with a fan (ie a brushless ESC) in there can be quite tricky. Not impossible, plenty have done it, but it is more work. Not a problem though, if that's your thing. 

Whereas the footprint and height of the Hobbywing 1060 brushed ESC are much smaller, and will fit with ease.  I wrestled with this issue with my DF03 (also a very tight space) and in the end ditched brushless and used the Hobbywing 1060 and a SS BZ. It's smooth as silk and fast as bejaysus 

And second...doesn't the XV-01 require longer motor leads? 

A normal BL ESC like the HW XR10 or Toro TS120/160 would fit in the electronics bay of the XV-01 just perfectly (I'm using the TS160). The cover of the electronics bay has a slot provided for a 30x30mm fan. In that way you can dismount the fan from the ESC and install it in the provided slot as seen below.

PT32Ok6h.jpg

Yes the XV-01 requires longer wires. As long as the person is capable of soldering work, that shouldn't be a problem. Because when I had the brushed motor and HW 1080 installed, I still customized my wires for a neater/clean look.

luGDBvph.jpg

7rLKSioh.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you guys for the interesting discussion and valuable contributions!

@Nicadraus : So buying a cheap Chinese motor and saving money for a future sensored setup would be a good strategy.

@Juhunio : Thank you for the limited space information. I have read it is an issue in a brushless setup but we are gonna figure out. Longer cables are also an issue but soldering new ones it doesn t seem much of a probelm.

@alvinlwh : This is so true there is so much difference between T and rpms. An indeed i haven t seen a motor of 23 T with 26,500 like Tamiya's SS, am I right?

• Like 2

@Nicadraus that's good to know about the HW XR10. Now, I can't solder, but I know a modelshop that can! What would you say is the ideal length for the cables to create a direct connection between motor and ESC in the XV01?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

@Nicadraus that's good to know about the HW XR10. Now, I can't solder, but I know a modelshop that can! What would you say is the ideal length for the cables to create a direct connection between motor and ESC in the XV01?

Ideal length would be in between 200 - 250mm depending on your wire routing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

Sounds like fun!  Unfortunately LRP don't publish the torque figures for their motors but I wonder if the 19T might be better for you?  It should have a bit more torque which would suit a 4WD chassis better?

Don't worry too much about numbers, I did when I started out and eventually lean to do it by "feel", usually heat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicadraus said:

Ideal length would be in between 200 - 250mm depending on your wire routing.

Thanks man, much appreciated 👍

• Like 2

The injora motors I messed with smoked after a few battery packs. Cheap enough I wasn't mad, but I had hoped they were at least a little better. Their hard bodies, specifically my XJ, is great for the price though.

Different beast but my tt02 rally had a 3300 or 3700, don't recall which at the moment, but it was way way hot for a rally car. It would rip, but it was so fast you couldn't chase it really. I'm going with a torque tuned next, a couple of my buddies used them in theirs and they worked out well. Fast enough to easily outrun you but not so fast you've got to baby the throttle. They also have solid punch and will tear out of a corner with authority.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XJman said:

The injora motors I messed with smoked after a few battery packs.

Reliability of some Chinese products is still an issue! This is why you hear different opinions on virtually the same product.

5 minutes ago, TamiyaD said:

Reliability of some Chinese products is still an issue! This is why you hear different opinions on virtually the same product.

Quality control is the difference between dodgy manufacturing and quality manufacturing regardless of the country in question. I've seen incredible things made in china, and absolute garbage. Same with the US really. If some of you saw the quality control coming out of some automotive oems in the states you'd be afraid to drive.

I've had to modify inspection equipment to pass bad parts because obviously the extremely precise and qualified gauges are wrong.

What a world.

• Like 1