esmuz

F103 Servo positions

Hi, is there any rule about how to mount the servo on an F103 chassis? 

I've seen it vertical with the side tabs trimmed down

Laying sideways like in the Tyrrell P34 

And sitting on it's base using a low profile servo... 

Is that something free to be decided? I am not happy with trimming my servo tabs?

tnx

The f103LM has the servo mounted with servo posts, the GT has to have at least one tab cut off , the Tyrell doesn't need them cut off unless you fit it in the forward position. Pretty sure the other RS RX have the same mounting as the GT

A standard servo mounted vertically with trimmed tabs or a low profile servo mounted on its base with tabs intact are the two main ways of doing it for an F103 F1 model.

The sideways orientation really only works on the Tyrrell because of its width and non-standard front suspension. Such an orientation on a standard F103 would interfere with the front arms and bodyshell.

Personally I prefer the look of neatly trimmed tabs, but I also want the ability to swap the servo into a chassis that uses the tabs for mounting, so I buy a spare servo case and have one with tabs and one without. 

• Like 1

Just now, TurnipJF said:

A standard servo mounted vertically with trimmed tabs or a low profile servo mounted on its base with tabs intact are the two main ways of doing it for an F103 F1 model.

The sideways orientation really only works on the Tyrrell because of its width and non-standard front suspension. Such an orientation on a standard F103 would interfere with the front arms and bodyshell. 

Thank you guys. 

For the low profile servo option.. do I need any special accessory? 

It depends on the dimensions of your servo I guess. I used a Savox SC-1252MG, and needed a pair of 3mm spacers to drop the tie rod mounting balls downwards a bit. But that was with a high torque servo saver and hop-up tie rods. I think you may not need them with the stock tie rods and servo saver, but I don't know for sure as the F103 I have fitted with the stock rods uses a standard servo with trimmed tabs.