toyolien

Fighting Buggy - What's it really like to run?

I really like the look of the Fighting Buggy, and I remember seeing on as a kid our local model shop. Before they all completely disappear, I'm thinking about getting one.

Here's a few of my thoughts/questions as I've never had any of the SRB chassis's.

1) Can you fit the Sand Scorcher clear radio box (it'll only be a beach runner)?

2) Are they that terrible to drive?

3) Is the ball diff needed?

4) Any aftermarket parts essential*, like a chassis plate etc? ( *by essential I kinda mean non essential)

Thanks in advance.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, toyolien said:

1) Can you fit the Sand Scorcher clear radio box (it'll only be a beach runner)?

No. One of the things that makes the Fighting Buggy's body somewhat more scale/attractive to some is its slimmer shape. This is made possible by the elimination of the radio box which the earlier Rough Rider/Buggy Champ had to be sculped around. Tamiya makes mention of using rubber boots to protect the radio gear in their promo which shows the Super Champ plowing through beach water like the earlier SRBs.

2) Are they that terrible to drive?

No, at least I don't feel so. The rear swing arms really seem to flail around on rougher terrain but they do tend to keep the drive wheels on the ground, aided by the buggy's ample weight. The steering mechanism is an improvement over the stock SRB stuff too. They are rear heavy, which, combined with a lack of a diff can lead to understeer in certain conditions. Personally, I tend to use rear tires as a tuning tool in these situations. I switch to paddle tires in high grip areas like grass, which helps loosen the rear and allow it to slide around a bit in turns.

3) Is the ball diff needed?

No, but it depends on where you are running and what your plans are. On the beach, the lack of a diff is could be beneficial. On a track, a ball diff would probably cut down on the understeering as well as potential roll-overs on pavement. Since the Super Champ was the racing variant of the SRBs, I was always surprised it didn't have a diff. Still, despite adding some needed/useful improvements to the SRB platform, it was also at the end of its life. I'd wager Tamiya knew the ORVs would be taking over in short order and funding for rear diff development wasn't in the cards at that point.

4) Any aftermarket parts essential*, like a chassis plate etc? ( *by essential I kinda mean non essential)

I only really consider the chassis plate as essential. I've never used a stock SRB chassis plate, un-assisted in my life. I've seen too many cracked radio crates, not to mention what that kind of flex does to the body. Tamiya did see fit to thicken the Fighting Buggy plate over the earlier SRB re-releases (the FRP is a different pattern too) but its not enough, even with the minimal aid the upper deck gives (on compression only). I make my own chassis usually, sometimes adding it to the stock plate, sometimes as a stand alone. There are aftermarket options. The budget approach BITD sometimes was to double up two stock plates to cut down on flex.

I love the Super Champ/Fighting buggy. Its my favorite SRB. That said, since you've never had an SRB, they are different. They are heavy and this impacts there operating dynamics compared to the relatively featherweight options like the later Frog and Hornet. They aren't quite the fragile "models in motion" like the XR311s were. They can be driven like true RC buggies. You'll definitely notice they are from a different era though. 

• Like 10

That is an absolutely superb reply, thanks for taking the time. That helps a lot. I've added it to my basket, and I'm hovering over the checkout button...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, toyolien said:

That is an absolutely superb reply, thanks for taking the time. That helps a lot. I've added it to my basket, and I'm hovering over the checkout button...

Don’t hover for too long. It leads to frustration and disappointment ;) 

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Before they all completely disappear, I'm thinking about getting one.

meh... the rerere has kept coming back repeatedly like a reliable boomerang for so many years now

unless you’re aiming for the first batch rere  with its unique kit number then that’s long gone 

7 hours ago, toyolien said:

I've added it to my basket, and I'm hovering over the checkout button...

Where’s that person with the “Do it” meme when you want it.

The super champ is the first RC car as a kid I always wanted and never got.

Probably just as well getting it much later in life as I would have made a right hash of it in my teenage years.

I picked one up on the last run and love it. They are probably a little expensive for what they are, but my personal collection would never be complete without one. I would only run it on sand or loose dirt though, which is where it belongs anyway. With a HW 1060 brushed ESC it’s fine off road getting dirty and hoots along nicely with a Kyosho 20t motor. 

It is what it is and for me scratches the vintage Rc itch nicely. I think it does no good to compare to more modern offerings as it’s not a level playing field in that way.

The only hop up I’ve fitted is the Ball Diff. The original ones were fetching $200 but Tamiya released them again and can be had for less than half that.

The only problem I’ve heard with them is the body breaking where the roll cage goes down to the back end of the body. I noticed that when I built mine when clipping the body on the back end kind of squashed on top of the rear metal cage above the suspension. So I put a spacer in between the roof clip and the roof to raise the body up slightly so the body wasn’t under tension and has been fine so far.

And am a bit bias to SRB’s though just so you know 😉

29C50D9D-C9ED-42D9-8EC1-5FDF574EEDDE.jpg

7172AF60-A8E9-47B6-9492-6EDD51E14EF1.jpg

AEE1B36C-710E-4CD7-A8D2-DE79AE0C7B22.jpg

Just remembered, I stiffened the chassis a little with 2 strips of aluminium…

D709F753-EA72-453E-87B9-571C1E08C77F.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

@Kol__ :D.

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the superb replies. A kit has been dutifully ordered. I'm aware of it's limitations but I just feel it's a kit I need to own. Can't explain it really. 😁

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Thanks for all the superb replies. A kit has been dutifully ordered. I'm aware of it's limitations but I just feel it's a kit I need to own. Can't explain it really. 😁

Build Thread, Build Thread, Build Thread!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

I'm so with you. Look forward to the build thread! 

All above is well said and everyone has good valid points :D I've built quite a few of these over the years super champ and fighting buggy and the one thing that stands out probably more than anything is how fragile the body is:( I've had toilet paper stronger than a fighting buggy body so if I was you I would buy another body and strengthen one of them depending on what you are using it for and on! 

The ball diff isn't essential but if you can pick one up cheap and your funds permit I'd get one and at least try it (its always going to be a hop-up which they will stop producing so if you don't want it you'll always get your money back) but try and get the version 2 ball diff it apparently doesn't work it's way loose although I have them both and never had trouble with the first one coming loose or any other problem? 

The super champ/fighting buggy is a ultra cool buggy considering it's design age so you would expect it to have a few design floors that don't really work in the modern rc world but just enjoy building it and its stunning looks a true scale looking buggy that actually does work pretty good:D

20200314_130252.jpg

IMG_20150629_090111.jpg

• Like 3

Build thread will definitely be on the cards.👍

@moffman I did also add a spare body set to the order👍 If I end up breaking the plastic part of the roll cage I'll just bend up and braze a steel one👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SC3

I did add roll-over antennas to mine when I made my last chassis to help preserve the body. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

SC3

I did add roll-over antennas to mine when I made my last chassis to help preserve the body. 

Thats a great idea. I'll look at getting a couple. 👍

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

6 hours ago, bavee said:

@Kol__ :D.

I'm probably banned from this thread for my 'old pig' reference to the Super Champ/Fighting Buggy in the BBX thread😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kol__ said:

I'm probably banned from this thread for my 'old pig' reference to the Super Champ/Fighting Buggy in the BBX thread😂

As somebody who thinks the SRB is Tamiya's most attractive chassis ever despite having been through most Tamiya chassis types, I still think your "old pig" reference is justified, regardless of being humorous or serious!

That said, I will definitely get a BBX and further models on the BB-01 chassis too, provided they are equally attractive. (We NEED a baja bug on a modern chassis!)  Still, I don't think the BB-01 will be a full replacement for my SRB's as (semi-)realistic racing buggies.  The Kyosho Scorpion and Tomahawk are almost as realistic as the SRB and in most characteristics completely superior, but I nonetheless prefer the SRB's as runners. Indeed, that's not rational at all, but it's my hobby and it doesn't hurt anyone else! ^_^

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

As somebody who thinks the SRB is Tamiya's most attractive chassis ever despite having been through most Tamiya chassis types, I still think your "old pig" reference is justified, regardless of being humorous or serious!

Totally agree about the chassis, it's a one of a kind. Not quite my thing... yet, but will likely have one at some point in the future. Needless to say it would have the Sand Scorcher body on it!😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The Kyosho Scorpion and Tomahawk are almost as realistic as the SRB and in most characteristics completely superior, but I nonetheless prefer the SRB's as runners. Indeed, that's not rational at all,

I'm in the same boat. I was amazed at how much better the Scorpion was compared to the SRBs when I finally got to drive one. It was easy to see how it was possible to hang with the first RC10s in the right hands compared to the completely outclassed SRBs. Still, in the end, my SRBs see 10 times the amount of use than my Scorpion does.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Yes, get out!

P.S. How could you look at @Saito2's photo and not get a nostalgia hit so strong that you immediately order a Fighting Buggy. Just look at it... :wub:

13 hours ago, Saito2 said:

SC3

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, get out!

P.S. How could you look at @Saito2's photo and not get a nostalgia hit so strong that you immediately order a Fighting Buggy. Just look at it... :wub:

13 hours ago, Saito2 said:

SC3

Absolutely love the photo, and the retro-ness! However, it always looks like one car stuck on top of another to me.

A bit like this does...

d5rugpn.jpeg

...I'll get my coat...🧥

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Absolutely love the photo, and the retro-ness! However, it always looks like one car stuck on top of another to me.

A bit like this does...

d5rugpn.jpeg

...I'll get my coat...🧥

You're a very brave man... 

• Haha 2

I've not built my Fighting Buggy yet.. only reason I got it was because someone here recommended it to me as a must-have for my vintage buggy rere collection.  It sits NIB next to my SandScorcher NIB and I think that alone looks great in my pretendRC shop. :lol:

I found that the Kyosho TurboScorpion is far superior to the Sand Scorcher as far as driving dynamics... even their Beetle (Tomahawk) drives better.. but the point of these vintage cars is the quirkiness so it's all good.  

I will be building an Ultima sometime later.. not sure when, but it will complete my vintage rere collection... but probably will get the non-Turbo Optima as well..now I'm just uselessly babbling.. :ph34r:

• Like 1