Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gkatz

budget brushless motor + esc thats good enough for me :)

Recommended Posts

Hi all;

looking for a brushelss motor and esc to up my speed on the stock tamiya neo scorcher (silver can).

I only want to replace motor and esc (keep my nimh battery for now)

my criteria is simple:

  • more speed (prefferably a lot more but the car should still hold),
  • longer run times (so less batter drain),
  • easy on the pocket (i want something up to 60usd range if thats possible),
  • brand motor? (i am not sure i need a branded one),
  • sonsored? (prefferably)

i think thats it :) i am not sure if there exists a motor that fits my needs,

BTW, I am a hobbyist not a racer... if I have a 150$ car so I dont think putting more that 50-60USd on this combo makes sense...

thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the challenge will be finding a motor that gives you both more speed and longer run times.  You usually get one but not both.  And 60USD is not a lot for a motor, ESC and sensor cable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I think the challenge will be finding a motor that gives you both more speed and longer run times.  You usually get one but not both.  And 60USD is not a lot for a motor, ESC and sensor cable!

amazon has many combos of non branded stuff or less known stocker brands

for example goolRC: https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Brushless-Upgrade-Waterproof-3300KV/dp/B095GNR1N2/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3CKC9S8DLGZS4&keywords=540+brushless+motor+esc+combo&qid=1675760640&sprefix=540+brushless+motor+esc+combo%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-23

i have no idea if its good or not i can probably look for reviews but there are plenty like these there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gkatz said:

amazon has many combos of non branded stuff or less known stocker brands

for example goolRC: https://www.amazon.com/GoolRC-Brushless-Upgrade-Waterproof-3300KV/dp/B095GNR1N2/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3CKC9S8DLGZS4&keywords=540+brushless+motor+esc+combo&qid=1675760640&sprefix=540+brushless+motor+esc+combo%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-23

i have no idea if its good or not i can probably look for reviews but there are plenty like these there...

I believe all these types are sensorless, sensored combos are usually more expensive.

The point I was making is that I think you're going to have to compromise.  I don't think you'll be able to get everything on your list so you'll need to decide which items are the most important  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Twinfan said:

I believe all these types are sensorless, sensored combos are usually more expensive.

The point I was making is that I think you're going to have to compromise.  I don't think you'll be able to get everything on your list so you'll need to decide which items are the most important  :)

if I bumped the price a little. i can see : https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/quicrun-10bl60-sensored-esc-combo?variant=25753352584 
can it be ran with NimH?
is this the "best" deal for what it provides from a branded company?
maybe you have other suggestions?
thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have that exact setup with a 13.5T in a Fire Dragon that I run on 5000mAh NiMH packs.  It's quick.  Very quick.  But runtime is a lot less than a silver can.  Like I said, you can't have it all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Twinfan said:

I have that exact setup with a 13.5T in a Fire Dragon that I run on 5000mAh NiMH packs.  It's quick.  Very quick.  But runtime is a lot less than a silver can.  Like I said, you can't have it all!

interesting - can you share why you chose the 13.5T vs 10T - thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already had 4.5T, 5.5T and 10.5T Speed Passion motors lying around and having tried the 5.5T it was too much for the Fire Dragon!  :D

I bought a 13.5T as that seems to be a recommended level for older re-re kits, and if it wasn't quick enough I could always swap in my 10.5T.  13.5T is very quick and about as much as the car can handle so I've stuck with it and it performs really well.  The 10.5T will be going in my TD2 when I build it - that will be a rocket as it's 2WD, but I'm hoping the more modern chassis will handle it OK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon specials you take your chances.

Hobbywing dominate hobby-level ESCs, good support and performance, really no need to choose any other brand unless you want something very specialised.

Sensorless systems are cheaper, tend to be waterproof but not as smooth at low speeds. Good for high speed blasts.

Sensored systems are more expensive, won't be waterproof but give fine low speed control. Better for technical use and racing.

All ESCs will work with NiMH but NiMHs can't sustain the power demands of fast motors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Amazon specials you take your chances.

Hobbywing dominate hobby-level ESCs, good support and performance, really no need to choose any other brand unless you want something very specialised.

Sensorless systems are cheaper, tend to be waterproof but not as smooth at low speeds. Good for high speed blasts.

Sensored systems are more expensive, won't be waterproof but give fine low speed control. Better for technical use and racing.

All ESCs will work with NiMH but NiMHs can't sustain the power demands of fast motors.

hmmm

so maybe for my use case sensorless is valid? i am not racing, not intend to race, just want to enjoy my car :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

I have that exact setup with a 13.5T in a Fire Dragon that I run on 5000mAh NiMH packs.  It's quick.  Very quick.  But runtime is a lot less than a silver can.  Like I said, you can't have it all!

You can if you use Li-Po instead NiMH.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gkatz said:

hmmm

so maybe for my use case sensorless is valid? i am not racing, not intend to race, just want to enjoy my car :)

The combo you showed will work perfectly.

 

as I said, you can have everything just try to make the transition to lipo.

 

a 2s 5000mAh will run this goolRC combo for more then 45min I am pretty sure.

it is mostly up to gearing, with adequate gearing you can manage to have better longer runtime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eventually i will move to lipo - I am trying to trasnition slowly and not jump ahead of myself - I need to pace it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fabia130vRS said:

i have a big problem with tamico as their lowest intl ship rate is crazy high @ 30eu... 

the ebay combo, i guess its like the amazon ones? non branded combos. I do not know how to check if they are any good...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gkatz said:

i have a big problem with tamico as their lowest intl ship rate is crazy high @ 30eu... 

the ebay combo, i guess its like the amazon ones? non branded combos. I do not know how to check if they are any good...

I had this Gool RC combo 9T in my lunchbox. With 3s and 19T pinion instead of the 11T pinion.

They are good, it does what a motor is supposed to. They are not really waterproof thats it. My esc caught water in rain conditions, water running down the battery cable and burned.

The thing about this budget combos is, the gool rc is a smaller rotor, basically a 380  rotor in a 540 can. Something like that. But honestly, it does the job without issues. Plug and drive, the cheapest is the best.

 

As for the battery, I don't know where you are from, but any hardcase 2S is in my opinion safer then the soft case (no case) lipo's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess for offroad driving the sensorless gool rc 9 T is fine.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385342166072

Other wise...

The hobbywing 60A sensored brushless esc is a best buy. (2S-3S)

https://tamico.de/Hobbywing-QuicRun-10BL120-120A-Sensored-Regler

This I went for, the regular LRP SPIN (47€) not PRO. both 100A (2S-4S)

https://www.rc-kleinkram.de/products/02-80250?c=2488

This one is also a good sensor esc. (2S) TS50

https://www.rc-kleinkram.de/products/26-sk300060-01?c=2488

 

I trust people online, I do buy used motors, you can find great brands like, LRP, MuchMore, Losi and other sensor motors from 5.5T to 17.5T on ebay kleineinzeigen or ebay (a bit hard) You just need to know what you are looking for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gkatz said:

eventually i will move to lipo - I am trying to trasnition slowly and not jump ahead of myself - I need to pace it. 

Honestly you're better off just running LiPo if you want to save money this time around.  It will give you noticeable increase in power vs  your NiMH.   BL motor/ESC combo can be tricky as modulation is a hit or miss .. and running hot motors will wear your car faster so there's that.  GL with whatever you decide!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gkatz said:

BTW, I am a hobbyist not a racer... if I have a 150$ car so I dont think putting more that 50-60USd on this combo makes sense...

This is a point many seem to miss.

Well, Hobbywing is not the only choice, SkyRC is a other often named budget choice.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIidxCd

In fact my very first brushless ESC is a TS50 and it has so much settings that your head will spin. It cannot do 3S or lower turn motors though should not be a problem for a first timer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Honestly you're better off just running LiPo if you want to save money this time around.  It will give you noticeable increase in power vs  your NiMH.   BL motor/ESC combo can be tricky as modulation is a hit or miss .. and running hot motors will wear your car faster so there's that.  GL with whatever you decide!  

May you please explain to me what do you mean with modulation?

If it is concerned about Battery > ESC > Motor matching.

There is an easy formula, I may not explain it well enough, but I use this…

So... Let say I am going to match a sensored Trackstar 13,5T motor...

The motor has a peak current rating of: 360A

So I am looking for an ESC that can deliver this power...

The hobbywing quicrun 10bl60 has a peak power rating of: 380A

 

that's a perfect fit...

Let's see if my battery will support this setup...

mAh * C rating = peak A current

you would need a race pack of 6600mAh * 60C = 396,000mA (396A)

or a 100C * 5000mAh = 500.000mA (500A)

For peak performance. Most people do not realize how important the C rating is for high-powered combos. Regarding Peak-Performance. You may not damage it if the battery is not strong enough. The ESC should never be the bottleneck itself.

In my opinion it makes sense, and it is something I fetched of quadcopter forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

This is a point many seem to miss.

Well, Hobbywing is not the only choice, SkyRC is a other often named budget choice.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIidxCd

In fact my very first brushless ESC is a TS50 and it has so much settings that your head will spin. It cannot do 3S or lower turn motors though should not be a problem for a first timer.

Good opinion.

My first brushless setup was a $90 Trackstar 80A turbo esc & Trackstar 13,5T sensored motor.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-13-5t-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo.html

9QrVpjO.jpg

This is picture of the setup of turbo and boost settings.

 

The gool RC on the other hand is a $35 ready to run set that will do hard work without a brain. It is idiot-proof and fast on 3s and high gearing. It is a matching combo. Just add a good battery.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fabia130vRS modulation is how much resolution there is in the throttle response.   

Like the newer TBLE02S has poor modulation, 1060 has very refined modulation.  LeMans240s ESC had poor modulation, XR10 JustStock has super refined modulation when mated to LeMans240S BL , etc.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

My first brushless setup was a $90 Trackstar 80A turbo esc & Trackstar 13,5T sensored motor.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-roar-approved-13-5t-1-10th-stock-class-brushless-esc-and-motor-combo.html

I did not recommend Trackstar/Hobbyking(is Trackstar a HK brand?) as HK seems to have greatly reduced stock these days. Feels like they are winding down after posting their NL warehouse. I also have their own label ESC which is said to be an old HW one and is good value but can never find the programmer for it.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-x-car-120a-brushless-car-esc-sensored-sensorless.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 252 Guests (See full list)

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. mattharri (49 years old),
    2. Vimto (46 years old)
  • Member Statistics

    59147
    Total Members
    2639
    Most Online
    JHolmgren
    Newest Member
    JHolmgren
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...