esmuz

How to straighten a Lexan F1 body

I recently found a nice and rare McLaren MP4/4 body which is already painted but is also somehow "bended" ( see picture )

PXL_20230207_180051334.thumb.jpg.30d4f2038842aa3b6c6a335eddab90ff.jpg

I think it might be because it was not properly stored or maybe its a paint effect.
I would like to put it back into its original straight shape but I am not sure how I might do it.. 

One idea is straighten it up with some tape, as in the picture,  and then glue three small skewers along the body, so once the glue is hard, the skewrs keep everything straight. 

But I am not sure if I will still have space for the frition plate and the damper...

PXL_20230207_175956231.thumb.jpg.f2d6b9e584340606be5e15a5c123d305.jpg

Maybe in this area it should be an aluminium strip which gets into the body cavity?

What about heating the body and somehow reshape it? Sounds risky.. 

Any ideas? 

thanks.

Ive used fishing line before to shape a body to the chassis. It was a shell that when cut, flared out at the rear arches far wider than it should and no amount of forming even with a heat gun would get it to take a new permanent shape (sadly i think once lexan is moulded it is what is unless its creased or folded beyond the point of no return)

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Ive used fishing line before to shape a body to the chassis. It was a shell that when cut, flared out at the rear arches far wider than it should and no amount of forming even with a heat gun would get it to take a new permanent shape (sadly i think once lexan is moulded it is what is unless its creased or folded beyond the point of no return)

Sorry what is "finishing line" ?

Fishing line, for catching fish.

Mono or braid works.

I glued it in loops to the side of the chassis with shoegoo and then hook it around ball studs on the chassis.

Will take a photo when i get home from work as its on my F103 chassis so should work wih yours.

Fishing line, for catching fish.

Mono or braid works.

I glued it in loops to the side of the chassis with shoegoo and then hook it around ball studs on the chassis.

Will take a photo when i get home from work as its on my F103 chassis so should work wih yours.

Oh I see! Sorry I read Finishing instead of Fishing... :)

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea, I would love to get these picture to totally understand it.

Like this;

spacer.png

Attached to some ball studs mounted on the chassis so its easy to get the shell on and off.

spacer.png

The are just low profile enouhgh to sit just under the chassis plate so wont catch the ground.

With the line on, super sleeks!!@!!!!!!$$!

spacer.png

With the line off it flares out.

spacer.png

Might be ok with wider offset rear wheels.

It works but its a bit Heath Robinson.

33 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Like this;

spacer.png

Attached to some ball studs mounted on the chassis so its easy to get the shell on and off.

spacer.png

The are just low profile enouhgh to sit just under the chassis plate so wont catch the ground.

With the line on, super sleeks!!@!!!!!!$$!

spacer.png

With the line off it flares out.

spacer.png

Might be ok with wider offset rear wheels.

It works but its a bit Heath Robinson.

WOW!! 

This is so smart... 

And this body... Beautiful!! 

Is it easy to find nowadays??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, esmuz said:

WOW!! 

This is so smart... 

And this body... Beautiful!! 

Is it easy to find nowadays??

Yep! Get it from here

https://landlmodels.co.uk/products/tc017-1-10-mazda-787b-190mm-w-1991-le-man-sticker?_pos=2&_sid=cedd89c5f&_ss=r

The decals arent very good though. The print quality is great but they do not stick to curved surfaces very well and lift up in places.

Yep! Get it from here

https://landlmodels.co.uk/products/tc017-1-10-mazda-787b-190mm-w-1991-le-man-sticker?_pos=2&_sid=cedd89c5f&_ss=r

The decals arent very good though. The print quality is great but they do not stick to curved surfaces very well and lift up in places.

Oh! from L&L... Thank you! 

A pity I am in Spain and shipping plus custom taxes makes it not worth it for me.. 

I love the difusor too.

9 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I would heat it and bend it back to shape..

Really? How would the procedure be in that case? 

thanks

On 2/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, Willy iine said:

I would heat it and bend it back to shape..

Needs lots of heat doesn’t it. Upwards of 200 degrees Fahrenheit to form?

just be careful though, polycarbonate has a short window for heating. And I wouldn't heat it too quickly either, as its hydroscopic and if heated too much , you'll get bubbles coming up.

Another method I have used on a bent car body I got out of China was to wedge it between some books or something even to just a bit more than the retuned shape I wanted and leave it there for a couple of months. This body I had bought, one side had bent right out and this pretty much fixed it. Not a quick solution though!